Dana White: 60 Minutes...

I was exagerrating when I mentioned that I left the room when Dana came on. Unlike Dana, I am a huge fan of the advancement of the sport, and would even sit through listening to him talk on 60 minutes.

In any case, how am I not being rational? Everything I typed is legitimate, verifiably, facts.

You didnt see me type any "irrational" things like:

1) How Zuffa and Co. conveniently fired Matt Lindland because they were afraid he would beat their handsome 185 fighter, Rich Franklin.

or

2) How there are plenty of allegations concerning what Rachelle had to do to garner the spotlight she currently has.

or

3) How Dana likes to lose his cool, swear, and act like an idiot when he is challenged in a debate.

Nope, I didnt bring up any of those things, because I am trying to only bring up the facts.

(posted on wrong thread..)

ttt

As much as I hate Dana, there is no doubt that the man has done more for MMA than any other person in the game today.

Dana had vision, passion, and execution. Huge props.

Recentlyreaped is right. Dana does have a dickhead personality but why you kids get so riled up over that (his personality) and ignore the leaps and bounds he's done for MMA is stupid.

Sure, they havent done everything perfect but what's perfect? Do guys realize we just watched a piece about MMA on 60 f'in Minutes (where they actually called it MMA). We've come along way and like him or not, we have Dana to thank for a lot of it.

"As much as I hate Dana, there is no doubt that the man has done more for MMA than any other person in the game today."

I don't hate Dana at all, & I agree that he as done more to grow the sport of MMA than anyone out there. 

UFC 28 was still in the dark PPV time though, wasn't it?

Max

This thread was about one thing: that Dana and co did not get the new rules. Why is it being turned into whether or not Dana was good for the sport in general or a good guy in general? Is anything the OP posted false? I don't see him blindly spewing hate.

Just finished listening to Dave Mmeltzer on the LAW radio. The Mouth (host) asked Dave if he saw the 60 Minutes piece. Dave stated that he hadn't yet. The Mouth told him that 60 Minutes portrayed Dana and Zuffa having changed the rules etc. Dave was surprised:
"Ya know what? They talked to me about the UFC when they were researching the show, and I asked them, whatever you do, don't claim that Zuffa changed the rules (etc) - it's a common misconception told over and over. I kept telling them that. Wow, I can't believe they ended up doing it anyways."

Mouth: "Yeah, 60 Minutes! Can you believe it?"

http://60minutes.yahoo.com/segment/25/fight_club

LAW radio show host:

"60 Minutes recited the same wrong facts recited in the newspaper stories. There were new rules, there were doctors before Zuffa."

WHO CARES??!!!!

It's 5 years later, and it simply does not matter. In another five years, hardly anyone that watches the sport as a fan will even realize that someone besides Zuffa even began the UFC.

And while NJ may have gone with the Unified Rules before Zuffa officially bought out SEG, I would be surprised if they weren't already in talks of buying the UFC and therefore influencing some of the things that went one BEFORE the buyout (such as the unified rules).

But the REAL accomplishment was getting Nevada to accept the rules anyway, not NJ. How many more shows have even happened in Jersey? NV, CA, and FL are the big states for MMA, and those are all Zuffa accomplishments, NOT the folks from SEG. When they credit Dana/Zuffa with getting the sport sanctioned under unified rules, nobody even remembers NJ - they are ALL referring to NV and CA.

Regardless of the historical facts, Zuffa has done more to promote and expand the sport in the last few years than ALL OTHER ORGANIZATIONS PUT TOGETHER have done in the last 13 years combined!! So, all trivial details aside, Dana White gets props for being THE MAN who made MMA mainstream, whether you like him or not.

But like I said in the beginning, who cares? 99.9% of the hardcore fans only care that there are so many shows to watch now. 99.9% of the new fans have no clue what you are even talking about. And 99.9% of the fighters are ecstatic that the sport is blowing up, and that they have opportunities to fight AND that some are even making bank now.

Support the sport. Stop the hate. Worry about the IMPORTANT things in life!! (I say this as my wife battles for her life against cancer. You not liking Dana is about as important as what phase the moon is in right now).

"This thread was about one thing: that Dana and co did not get the new rules. Why is it being turned into whether or not Dana was good for the sport in general or a good guy in general? Is anything the OP posted false? I don't see him blindly spewing hate."

Thank you! I got one supporter!

BTW- I do think Dana and Company have done more than anyone else to promote MMA in America.

However, just by simply saying that, you guys are being the lazy thinkers here.

How did they go about doing this?

By crushing the grassroots smaller competition with lawsuits? By lowballing their employees? By unfairly terminating their contracts?

By trying to rewrite history to give themselves all the credit? By revoking press credentials of all the reputable MMA journalists so they can better control the media?

Of course, I do not like Dana. But this thread has not been about my personal likes or dislikes.

Go ahead and ignore what I have posted. Afterall, I am just a keyboard warrior.

However, if you listen closely enough, many reputable MMA journalists will say the exact same thing.

Adam- I pray and hope your wife gets better.

At the end of the day, nothing that we post on this website is that important. However, it is an MMA website, and I think it is nice to be able to let some fans know some of the real truth with Dana and Zuffa.

Even if everyone thinks I'm a biased dick, at least over 1400 people have read the truth!

hmm

"kying, do you have knowledge of what Lorenzo contributed to the decision to not sanction MMA when he was on the committee? If not, your circumstantial evidence speaks for itself. You do not know if he was in favor or had a dissenting opinion of the down vote in the committee."

That is true, I honestly dont know. But I think its been inferred by plenty of MMA journalists that he was against it. I'll have to dig around some more.

"Zuffa low balls their employees? How many fighters are millionares due to Zuffa? I would guess 6 at least."

Which 6 are there? The reason why Zuffa is willing to pay their top stars that amount of money is because they are afraid Pride will snatch them up.

If Pride didnt exist, they would continue to pay them as low as possible.

Besides, even if there were 6 millionaires, there are many other fighters on their payrolls that are getting very low amounts of money. Additionally, dont forget, most are stuck to a noncompete clause, so they cannot fight elsewhere, but can be cut at anytime.

Low balling your employees is a pretty smart business move, considering they are the biggest name in town, and can get away with it.

However, it also shows that you do not have the fighter's best interest in mind, nor do you care to promote and advance the sport of MMA as much as everyone thinks you do.

Also, I would guess Chuck, Randy, and Tito have had purses which would make them.

There may also be other fighters, where through endorsements, they may be millionairs. (GSP's manager said that would be the case with him...but his manager, Stephane Patry, is about as honest as Dana White is).

I have never had a 2,000 readers thread before.

(Crap, I just realized that is not unique views, so I prob contributed to a lot of the views)

I guess we'll need 2,500 people to read the truth.

Wait a minute - sure, NJ had unified rules and sanctioned an SEG UFC. But that still leaves 49 other states. What was the count of states who sanctioned mma events with unified rules at the time Zuffa bought UFC? Was New Jersey the only one? If so, then it's not totally inappropriate for Zuffa to take a lot of credit for legitimizing UFC.

Dana White vs Al Gore.

Zuffa! Make it happen!