Dana White: 60 Minutes...

"Wait a minute - sure, NJ had unified rules and sanctioned an SEG UFC. But that still leaves 49 other states. What was the count of states who sanctioned mma events with unified rules at the time Zuffa bought UFC? Was New Jersey the only one? If so, then it's not totally inappropriate for Zuffa to take a lot of credit for legitimizing UFC."

--"2) By 2000, the UFC, with SEG at the helm, had already ran sanctioned events in Iowa, Louisiana, and Mississippi."

NJ is the second most powerful sanctioning state, besides Nevada. And SEG, went to Nevada in 1999 to get it sanctioned, but it was shot down (with L. Ferttita serving on the board).

Once it got approved in NJ, much of the "hard work" was already completed. Additionally, at this time, CA, which is prob. third most powerful in sanctioning, was also set to approve it, until they hit budgetary problems.

Of course, getting Nevada approval was a great achievemant by Zuffa. However, its still questionable whether or not it could have been passed in the first go around in 1999, without Ferttita serving on the commission.

What is known is that, Ferttita quit the NSAC to become part owner of the UFC, and was able to quickly use his influence to get it passed in Nevada.

Also, not to belabor a seemingly obvious point...but
what do you think the worth of the UFC would have been in 2001 (when SEG sold to Zuffa) if it had already been sanctioned by the Nevada State Commission?

I would bet it would have been much more than $2 million dollars.

So the question that begs to be answered is why was Fertitta able to use his influence in 2001 but not in 1999 to get it sanctioned? Maybe because he couldnt profit in it in anyway, until he was able to purchase it at a lowball figure?

UFC created and made MMA in the US.

kying418 and other are missing the point of why Dana and Zuffa constantly focus their interviews on getting sanctioned and safety. It's not because they truly believe they are responsible for all the rules and being sanctioned in all of the states. It is simply to get across the message that they are focused on safety. The mainstream audience doesn't have the time or interest to learn about the history of how and what order the rules and sanctioning came about.

Is Dana/Zuffa's explenation of how this happened misleading? Yes. Is it an effective way to get the message that zuffa is focused on safety of fighters to the mainstream public? Yes. Is it good for mma to have the mainstream believe that zuffa is focused on fighter safety? Yes.

sweetagony- you bring up a good point. But Zuffa could also easily have said that the entire sport of MMA had already been focused on safety for a number of years.

But, they like to promote their agenda of giving themselves the credit, rather than pushing the entire sport of MMA.

"But that is business. Fact is the SEG guys had a poor marketing push and tried to emphasize the brutal image MMA had. Dana and crew did what any semi competent fight promotion with tens and tens of millions of dollars to spend did."

I agree that Dana and company have done amazingly well- you cannot argue about their success in building the UFC into a mulimillion dollar company.

All I have been saying is that we shouldnt make them out to be the saviors of MMA. They are in it for the money, and really dont care about promoting the sport of MMA, treating the fighters well, and giving the public the best match ups possible.

Dana and Zuffa 4 life.

Long live Dana.

kying418,

You write well.

Thank you for the reading.

Thanks- I usually cringe at my past posts.

Also, I usually just cut and paste well.

Here's a good cut and paste for everyone:

Guess who wrote this?

"8. In or around late Januray 2006, I recieved a call from Mr. White. During the conversation, Mr. White stated that he respected me both as a trainer and fighter, but then proceeded to express in a rather irate manner his feelings about the IFL and abruptly stated that "he was going to fucking crush these [the IFL] guys". Mr. White further made it clear to me that he was livid about losing Keith Evans to the IFL.

1. During this conversation I expressed to Mr. White my opinion (based on numerous conversations with individuals in the MMA industry) that a lot of people involved in MMA industry didn't very much care for him or the way Zuffa conducted its business and treated the individuals who fought at UFC events. In response, Mr. White stated that it "wasn't his fucking job to be liked". Mr. White further told me that he had spoken with the Fertittas (who own Zuffa), and they had given their "permission" to go after the IFL.

2. Mr. White further threatened me during the conversation, and implicitly the livelihoods of the fighters I train, stating that "when the dust settles, anyone associated with the IFL would not be associated with the UFC". I took this for what it was -- a threat to me and to my fighters who count on me to represent them and obtain opportunities to for them to fight in the MMA industry. Because of the virtual monopoly that Zuffa has in the MMA industry, Mr. White clearly knew that cutting me and my fighters off from the UFC would have a devastating economic impact.

3. Mr. White further told me during this conversation that he had been on the phone all day calling everyone he dealt with in the MMA industry and told me that, after speaking with all of them, none would be doing business with the IFL. My understanding from his comment was that he had made the same threats to everyone else he knew in the MMA industry that he had just made to me during our conversation. I attempted to tell Mr. White to calm down and tried to be rational with him. I expressed to Mr. White my opinion that the IFL was going to help the MMA industry and ultimately would increase the UFC's presence throughout the world. I further attempted to dissuade Mr. White from doing anything irrational with respect to the IFL (i.e., the lawsuit) and told him that I felt going after the IFL for no reason would be very bad for the entire MMA industry. Clearly, Mr. White could care less what I thought.

4. Following my conversation with Mr. White, Ken Shamrock, another world-renowned MMA fighter, called me and told me that Mr. White had just "raised hell" with him about his being associated with the IFL. As I understand it, Mr. White had made similar threats to Mr. Shamrock whom I believe at the time had an agreement with the IFL to coach one of its teams. I further understand that Mr. White made the same or similar threats to Randy Couture, perhaps one of the most legendary MMA fighters in the world and a former UFC World Champion. I further understand that Mr. White called a current UFC World Champion, Matt Hughes, to inquire of him whether he had any involvement in the IFL.

5. Knowing Mr. White the way I do, I can honestly say that Zuffa's intent is bringing this litigation has nothing to do with protecting any confidential information. Rather, I believe this litigation is about one thing and one thing only -- stamping out legitimate and, indeed, healthy, competition.

I declare under penalties of perjury that the foregoing is true and correct."

Dana is the man!

BTW- Pat Militech said the above quotes.

Is he just being a hater as well?

"yea, but he is Pat, you are kying418, we can tell you to shut the fuck up when we dont like what you are saying"

That is true!

And Steve Jobs ripped of Xerox and Bill Gates ripped off Apple. Business is business.

Maybe SEG should have gone to the Fertittas as part owners. Oh well...

Liyon - my thought exactly. You had the same quotes I was thinking. Businesses steal from other businesses all the time. It even looks like nintendo stole the fancy joystick from another company who had a patent on it already. Free enterprise! It just seems that companies do let the lawyers loose trying to protect themselves when variety and choices can fuel an industry. Apple is working to having the sole rights to the "podcast" word so they can control it. A company can be inovative from one stand point and archaic and self preserving at another point.

I think the UFC is both good and bad for the sport. It has the ability to get into everyones homes even free tv. They if they chose could help the small show get higher class and start making a place for startup fighter to get great before being fed to the wolves. Having inter promotional shows. If it is ever going to be a true sport no one company can control it all. I think fighters getting better representation(good managers) at the contract tables will also give them some control of their own futers. Look at all pro sports they are teams owned by people/ businesses that participate in a league that has rules and regulations. The NFL doesn't own the Denver Broncos. Boxing has different organizations you can chose to participate in or not and it has succeeded. A single company can't control something and call it a sport, a true sport.

definition sport - to entertain oneself. UFC is a show that can be great for the sport of mma.