Dana White talks Kimbo, Special Contract

"6.5 million what? Viewers? Can't be, because no mma ppv is doing those numbers."

CBS

CRE - Icey Mike is the man

sent me my Kimbo shirt and in the VIP shirt due to a pm asking how to purchase one, he is grassroots for real!

Thats pretty cool mang. I wouldnt mind a vip shirt

wasnt kimbo training for pro boxing?? now he wanna be back in MMA again? what is the deal here?

You would have to imagine either way Dana wins.
Kimbo on TUF = ratings.
Kimbo losing on TUF = Ratings and an instant fame to whatever no name beats him, not to mention the articles and us fans posting about it.
Kimbo wins = Kimbo gains new fans, as well as the UFC and they purchase the ppv where he is fed to the wolves and fights Crocop or another big named fighter.... Brock?

jongkiman - Kimbo turning down a boxing career for uncertain success on the TUF, considering he said that he's in need of that BREAD coz of the recession? and I remember Kimbo talking about leaving the MMA coz he thinks MMA is a Hard and complicated sport than boxing...I smell Big Compensation from Dana on Kimbo joining the TUF, i mean he need to feed his family that bad that joining a free TUF wont be able to do that

Dude, you're sooooo wrong. Reread CindyO post (1st page).
She basically confirms that Dana didnt paid anything to Kimbo. You have to believe it, because her source is Dana White nuts.

sports entertainment!

Dana showing Kimbo much  respect.  Street smarts over book smarts. Good honest and clever  interview by DW.

jmcc45-"...The Sad thing is once again all the publicity is being generated by a guy who doesn't in anyway shape or form deserve it. Way more deserving guys are missing out because of this wanna be."-------------------------------------------------------------------Yeah, but nobody gives a rat's ass about those no name guys and will not pay to see them.

Kimbo puts people in the seats...Kimbo will sell PPV's....Kimbo will generate money. The more money and attention Kimbo draws the more opportunity he will open up, money-wise, for those other unknowns. Any fighter that fights on a Kimbo PPV will get a huge exposure to the public.

LOL @ people being so short sighted about this.

orcus-"...Yeah obviously, that's why he hasn't fought since EliteXC folded."------------------------------------------------------------------So you're saying it's simply impossible for Kimbo to get a fight in Japan ?

LOL

JimmersonzGlove -  "Kimbo losing on TUF = Ratings and an instant fame to whatever no name beats him, not to mention the articles and us fans posting about it."

True...Seth gets mobbed anytime that he goes out in public now.

I know! That's crazy!

Cindy

I agree with some on here that Kimbo is getting some type of incentives under the table. If Kimbo is not getting any, then he should fire his manager for making this career suicide. Kimbo is not going to win the show, so that lucrative contract is moot at this point.

It could be that Kimbo is being paid by Spike or Pilgrim entertainment or whomever, so Dana can say the UFC is not offering Kimbo anything different than anyone else who has gone on the show.

What's the scoop with the Bas/Kimbo split?

Kimbo stopped listening to Bas and was not training hard going into the Shamrock/Seth fight. Bas was done working with him before the fight even happened and has not seen him since the fight. That was last I heard.

Beach Warrior - What's the scoop with the Bas/Kimbo split?

Here ya go. Source is at the bottom.

Cindy

Bas had always seemed very supportive of Kimbo in interviews and had a lot of good things to say about him in the beginning. So where did things go sour? Bas explains,

I had him six weeks before the last fight, I talked to him about certain things that I didn’t like, and he promised never to do it again, and then he started doing it again. If people come to me and ask me to train them, I want them to do what I tell them to do, because that’s what they came for. … Once you start doing different things, you’re out. It’s not because he got knocked out. This was already in progress long before the fight.

Obviously, Bas did see something in Kimbo in the beginning because he talked about the former street fighter’s dedication to training and doing things the right way. Somewhere along the line that changed. Bas went on,

Let’s say that the Kimbo who came to me at the beginning of training, that wasn’t the Kimbo who was at my gym the last time. Six weeks before his last fight, I told him, I want that Kimbo back. Otherwise, you’re out. And you know, he started doing differently again.

For those people who think Bas just trained Kimbo for the money, he addresses that as well,

I lost money. I lost money training Kimbo because I had to say no to commentating jobs. … I trained him together with another guy, because I didn’t have time to train him so much, so I gave him half and half. I trained the guy for several weeks for $5,000. That’s not big money. So I lost money doing that because I had to say no to commentating jobs…But it’s not about the money. People could say, “Hey, we’ll pay you a million dollars.” I’m not going to do it.

http://promma.info/index.php/2009/02/11/bas-rutten-would-not-train-kimbo-slice-again-for-one-million-dollars/

This is win-win for Kimbo IMO. 

Scenario 1.

He does great on the show, he gets a great contract with the UFC and life is Rosy.

Scenario 2.

He doesn't do so great on the show, but he gets more exposure, more TV time and back onto every MMA forum i the world like he was when fighting for EliteXC. He doesn't make it into the UFC but gets offered 'big money' by other promotions like he already is. But now that he's even more (in) famous than before, he can ask for even bigger money.

The only thing that can go wrong is if he gets destroyed in his very first fight and he turns out to have no personality.

DROC

Da Riddum - ttt for Dana giving Icey Mike major props....all day!

He said that guy is sharp! Very smart!

Cindy

LOL AT THE FART @ 3:04!!!!!!!