David Camarillo???

Mangler you are an idiot.
Rolls was the son of Carlos not Helio, Carlson was not the brother of Helio but also a son of Carlos'. Get your facts straight. Your ignorance is staggering.

My friend was a white belt under Ralph and one of Ralphs instructors was teaching him a arm bar and my friend couldn't quite grasp it. So my friend kept asking ?'s and the instructor got mad and cussed at him and slapped him!!!! my friend never went back. this is a true store. My friends name is Jacob ******, big fat white boy, who was 20 at the time.

Dave is a great guy and seemed like a stand up guy also

"My friend was a white belt under Ralph and one of Ralphs instructors was teaching him a arm bar and my friend couldn't quite grasp it. So my friend kept asking ?'s and the instructor got mad and cussed at him and slapped him!!!! my friend never went back. this is a true store. My friends name is Jacob ******, big fat white boy, who was 20 at the time."

I really hope this is a rumor, if not this instructor should be named so people could stay clear of him.

also on the rumor list, I hear it very easy to get your arms popped on purpose if you visit from another school. Could just be a rumor but also a reason I stear clear of there.

Camerillo,Kurt,and i think cameron Earle all have Ralph's logo on their backs just above the ass crack.Another BB has the tat on the back of his head

True story

honestly, obviously they are probably smart guys who can all kick my ass, etc., etc., but you gotta wonder what the requirements to get your black belt are at that academy...

I think a Ralph Gracie blacbelt is about as high of a standard of ability as there is, anywhere. Period. Ralph may have held some back too long, but they are ALL awesome. The legitimacy is not the issue.

Please do not think that some instructors, Brazilian or American, are better than others based on lineage. I'm sure every branch (Helio, Carlson, Carlos, etc.) have some good, some bad. These are people, not robots.

The things that made all of us like the Gracie's in the beginning is becoming their downfall, at least in the eyes of students.

We all loved their brash arrogance. The challenges. The confidence. The big F%^& YOU to the establishment. Now they are the establishement. The problem is that some of them are forgetting that we are on their side. We love jiu-jitsu. We support it, want to teach it right and help it grow. Using threats and bullying tactics in the US just don't work. American's....most Americans...will not put up with that shit.

I think that a lot of credit should be given to Ralph's academy for creating, arguably, the greatest US team ever. At one time at one school there was BJ Penn, JD Penn, David Terrell, Kurt Osiander, Cameron Earle, David and Daniel Camarillo and countless others. Isn't Ralphs the only US academy to ever finish in the top five at the Worlds? This rough environment bread success, at least on the mat.

David may have trained for free, but look what he brought to the acacdedmy. He is a world class judoka and extremely talented. He autmomatically brought the level up. How many academies would KILL to have someone of his level on site full time. This has to have some value.

I read on jiujitsugear.com the way Franjinha Miller from Paragon Jiu-Jitsu handled Jeff Glover going to Cobra Kai to instruct. It was great. He basically said he was proud of him and that he will always be part of the Paragon family. He supported him 100%. All class. This is how Ralph should have handled David.

any martial arts dojo, let alone bjj, would be lucky to have someone like dave as an instructor.

i don't think dave leaving should have been an issue, unless he was setting up shop 100metres away, or was belt selling, or committing some sort of felony.

I love....Lamp

great post AmericanJJ

-Your friendly local Neighborhood Dave Camarillo Guerrilla Jiu Jitsu Loyalist

Leave Camarillo alone before he chokes everyone out.

My friend was a white belt under Ralph and one of Ralphs instructors was teaching him a arm bar and my friend couldn't quite grasp it. So my friend kept asking ?'s and the instructor got mad and cussed at him and slapped him!!!! my friend never went back. this is a true store. My friends name is Jacob ******, big fat white boy, who was 20 at the time.

I call bullshit on this, you're spreading rumors here just to be a dick. Which Ralph school you liar?

"why the hell would any man get a tattoo of another mans face on their low back??"

I guess the same reason people get "Gracie" tattooed on them (like some of Cesars guys)

Its the team logo

"I call bullshit on this, you're spreading rumors here just to be a dick. Which Ralph school you liar?"

Markpal- but if this was true and you actually witnessed this or something like it would continue to train there?????

I mean there are alot of rumors like that about ralphs floating around, just wondering

I have been with Ralph for 7 or 8 years, been with him and Dave, Kurt, the Penns, Cameron, Big Dave, Ricardo, Crosley, now Crispim

None of those blacks have ever disrespected a student like this, including Ralph.

Don't get me wrong, Ralph can be demanding. And if someone who has been there a while, like me, fucks something up I shouldn't be fucking up, he'll let me know. But not by abusing you (and I'll be careful how I say this, but he might in a playful way.)

None of the other black belts would ever do the behavior that guy said about slapping a new guy in the face. No way, that is total bullshit.

Don't get me wrong, Cameron can be a dick. When I was a white and he was white/blue, yeah, he was a bit mean, held that armbar a bit too long.

And he got in some fights outside the academy, etc

but as a blackbelt--as an instructor--I have only seen him act professionally.

I've heard that Ralph's crew are a bunch of cult-like followers. If there's never been any beef purely between Camrillo & Sapao - and Sapao's just acting on behalf of Ralph, Sapao's the real bitch here.

There's no room for this thug shit to be going on. These Brazilians come over here, make a shitload of money and think they have some fucking monopoly on making money in the game. Leave that shit back home in your slum land. Do things the American way or get the fuck out of here!

"but as a blackbelt--as an instructor--I have only seen him act professionally."

Ive always been a Earl fan....his agressiveness in Jiu jitz is awesome, damn good competitor.

I think Ralph need to seek out a better image for himself first and his team. Most information, aside from jiujitsu, that comes out of that school is very very negative and ive been following bjj since Royce first tapped shamrock.

Cant be good for business

"I've heard that Ralph's crew are a bunch of cult-like followers. If there's never been any beef purely between Camrillo & Sapao - and Sapao's just acting on behalf of Ralph, Sapao's the real bitch here."

Buyer Beware

I trained at the sf school for 5 years, and wouldn't trade my experiences there for anything. I had a great time there and the instruction and atmosphere were top notch. I've always said that it's a love it or hate it type school, and if you're looking for a place to practice a few moves, spar a little and lightly, and sit around the wall socializing, it's probably not the best place for you.

I always tried to stay out of the politics, arguments, etc...but my observation is that it's not as one-sided as you all may believe from reading the internet. I've read numerous posts on forums from former students saying how bad it was, how unfairly they were treated, etc etc etc. I trained alongside many of them, and can honestly say that many times, they were the main contributors to the very things they come on here and complain about. For example, one former student posted about how people would try to break your arm and rough you up, and IMO that person was worst at that!

I have no clue about the Dave/Sapao thing, but I just thought that a lot of what's being said on here is unfair and not accurate. It seems a lot of people get a very bad perception of Ralph's schools by what's said on the internet and I just wanted to say that many times they're not seeing the whole story. I've seen people leave on good and bad terms, and it really depends on their own attitude on how they are sent off.

ttt