DC: With Champ Jon Jones’ History of Failed Drug Tests, ‘It’s Hard’ to Call Him GOAT

3 Likes

Daniel Cormier believes that, despite Jon Jones’ accolades, there will always be an asterisk next to his name.

A longtime former light heavyweight champion, Jones (27-1 MMA, 21-1 UFC) became a two-division title holder when he submitted Ciryl Gane in Round 1 to capture the vacant heavyweight belt at UFC 285.

Jones defeated Cormier twice during his 205-pound title reign – one which was overturned to a no contest after Jones tested positive for a turinabol metabolite in their rematch. Jones also tested positive for estrogen blockers clomiphene and letrozole in 2016 after he defeated Ovince Saint Preux. In both instances, an independent arbitrator determined that Jones did not knowingly cheat.

But still, based on Jones’ past history with multiple failed drug tests, Cormier can’t consider him the greatest of all time. He insists he’s not bitter; he’s just always taken this stance.

“I think it’s hard to really argue the greatest of all time when Jones has now gone up to heavyweight and won the championship because of what he did at light heavyweight,” Cormier said on his ESPN show “DC & RC.” “This always puts me in a tough position, because I will always say guys that have bad things attached to their name should not be held on high.

“I think especially with the drugs and the steroid failures and those types of things. I think when you have those things, it’s hard to call you the greatest of all time. And I know Anderson (Silva) and all those guys, but I think (Jones) is in the conversation, because he’s become a heavyweight champion, and now he’s won belts in two weight classes.”
Not only that, but Cormier disagrees with the UFC now placing Jones as the No. 1 pound-for-pound fighter.

“I don’t, for my opinion, believe he should be No. 1 pound-for-pound,” Cormier said. “I think Alexander Volkanovski should still stay there. I don’t think he should be No. 1 pound-for-pound fighter in the world, but I have no issue with it if people have voted that.”

2 Likes

Lol remember when DC tried to convince everyone he was the GOAT

1 Like

Like many fans in the arena (and watching at home), “DC” had difficulty processing the finishing sequence, partly because it happened so quickly but mostly because the guillotine choke applied by Jones was difficult to see from multiple angles.

Fans on social media, however, claim Cormier was sucking on sour grapes.

DC giving me hater vibes
Why is DC so bitter?!!

DC was visibly upset at the win.

Cormier is pissed lol

DC hating immediately is crazy

Cormier paints an entirely different picture.

“Not bitter at all, legit couldn’t see what he had tapped to until we saw the different camera angle,” Cormier wrote on Twitter. “You guys sure can create things. I really don’t care either way, I’m here to call fights only.”

The victory sent Jones to the top of the pound-for-pound rankings.
“I don’t, for my opinion, believe he should be No. 1 pound-for-pound,” Cormier said on his subsequent “DC & RC” show. “I think Alexander Volkanovski should still stay there. I don’t think he should be No. 1 pound-for-pound fighter in the world, but I have no issue with it if people have voted that.”

1 Like

Have a better suggestion of someone who hasn’t ever popped?

1 Like
1 Like

During a recent interview with Sports Illustrated, Jones explained the significance of his heavyweight title win.

“This isn’t a job to me,” Jones said. “It is my life. It’s my identity. This is who I was intended to be in my mother’s womb. It’s my purpose and plan. This is my destiny.

“I don’t think it will matter who I fight next. As long as I continue to give glory to God, He’ll keep lifting me up and giving me the victory.”

Jones will likely face Stipe Miocic next, as UFC President Dana White hinted after the event. The two heavyweights have teased a possible fight for years, dating back to Jones’ time as the light heavyweight champion.

Jones is arguably the greatest UFC fighter of all time and continues to add to his legacy with his latest triumphant showing. Ahead of a possible showdown with Miocic, Jones feels his resurgence is part of the big picture of his unprecedented career.

GSP

I know there was always suspicions of him using something but he never popped for anything.

3 Likes

He’s the PicoGOAT for sure

2 Likes

Great suggestion. DC was one of the very few simultaneous two division champions. He was undefeated against everyone, except the one guy allowed to compete with shit in his system until he lost to Stipe, who he won the HW title from, and is considered the HW GOAT. DC may not be the consensus GOAT, but he is a very strong contender, and at the top of my list.

5 Likes

Fedor, GSP, Silva never popped until after his reign was over and after his leg snap so i think its fair to assume that had something to do with it, DJ, Aldo.

Did aldo pop? I can’t remember.

3 Likes

How can you consider DC the goat when he wasn’t even the best in either division he fought in.

1 Like

Not really. Fedor, DJ, Aldo, Volkanovski, etc.

DC is a cheat. Had towel gate and his testosterone was super elevated.

5 Likes

Which part? You disagree that GSP is a great suggestion?

You said DC not GSP…

Interesting seeing DC’s face as Gane taps. Him and Joe are like wtf was that almost let down… and you can see the inner battle going on in DC’s head lol followed by Anik saying “There is no denying him now”… only for DC based on this thread title… to deny him now apparently

2 Likes