Deadlifting for BJJ

I've had on and off nagging back pain since i started doing gi jiu jitsu, mainly frmo being stuck in the closed guard and trying to keep posture while the other guy is trying to yank me down. WHen i rest it goes away and ive taken anti inflammatories done physio (mainly gave me stretches and yoga upright movement) but since ive healed other major injuries with weighted movements like freeweights for wrist, or theraband for shoulders, i was wondering if anyone has had success with lightweight deadlifts for back pain? i finally have my form right for it so i will start experimenting soon and of course im worried i could fuk it up worse.

thanks

Ice that shit.

thanks for that answer. i never thought of icing my back before.

You have to find your weakness and/or imbalance and either stretch it or strengthen it.

No one can give you a solution with an movement screening test.

I work with lots of BJJ guys. They usually have back pain due to 1) tight psoas 2) glutes that are not firing 3) tight hamstrings 3) weak core 4) Kyphosis

You have to find out which one(s) is/are causing your problem.

I suggest starting with stretching your psoas and strengthening your glutes.

Yea, I see a shitload of dudes wearing a gi when at the gym. Thought about it, but mine is blue...:/

But seriously tho, deadlifting, no matter what it's for is going to help. Sounds like you are doing all the right things. Guys on here like leigh, Jeremy Hamilton & others can go into further into detail on specifics...maybe hit them up.

nowaydo - You have to find your weakness and/or imbalance and either stretch it or strengthen it.

No one can give you a solution with an movement screening test.

I work with lots of BJJ guys. They usually have back pain due to 1) tight psoas 2) glutes that are not firing 3) tight hamstrings 3) weak core 4) Kyphosis

You have to find out which one(s) is/are causing your problem.

I suggest starting with stretching your psoas and strengthening your glutes.

... Very nice post Phone Post

SidRon - You should be deadlifting in a gi so that you get the most possible skill transfer of the movement to your sport.

I laughed. Phone Post

I should of said..."
No one can give you a solution withOUT an movement screening test."

renatolaranjabjj - I've had on and off nagging back pain since i started doing gi jiu jitsu, mainly frmo being stuck in the closed guard and trying to keep posture while the other guy is trying to yank me down. WHen i rest it goes away and ive taken anti inflammatories done physio (mainly gave me stretches and yoga upright movement) but since ive healed other major injuries with weighted movements like freeweights for wrist, or theraband for shoulders, i was wondering if anyone has had success with lightweight deadlifts for back pain? i finally have my form right for it so i will start experimenting soon and of course im worried i could fuk it up worse.

thanks

A lot of people initiate movement through the low back and hyperextend their back without thinking about it. Make sure you are concious of your pelvis and keep it neutral through out the roll.

And yes, stretch the psoas.

If you haven't go to www.mobilitywod.com and search for "psoas" "lowback" "neutral hip"

and stop holding men between your legs so damned much.

1 Like

Deadlifts are one of the most effective exercises to build strength and power in the entire body. By engaging nearly every muscle group in the body in a single movement, the deadlift is an incredibly efficient way to build strength and power. This can be incredibly beneficial for BJJ practitioners, as it can help them generate more power and explosiveness when throwing an opponent to the ground or when attempting to break out of a submission. So you can carry the deadlifting and I am sure it will help you cope with your problem

2 Likes

How heavy do you suggest someone go? After a certain point you have to enter the diminishing returns category

If person is working off of percentages of what their max is there should not be a rate of diminishing returns. For example Wendlers 5/3/1 program. Super efficient and constant progress based on a persons progress. Personally I feel the 5/3/1 or similar can be the perfect program for combat sports simply due to the efficiency when done correctly. No fluff bullshit involved

1 Like

Check out Mark Rippetoe/Starting Strength there’s also a podcast. Lot of good material he’s put out which you’ll come across on YouTube looking into the deadlift.

1 Like

Warm up

Cool down

Sandbags over traditional deadlifts

Add in some kettlebells & some mace/gada training & that’ll be more than enough