Despite Three Champions, Dana Shoots Down Mexico in 2023

1 Like

Mexican fight fans got bad news during UFC San Antonio’s post-fight press conference (watch it) last night (Sat., March 25, 2023) inside AT&T Center.

UFC President, Dana White, spoke to the media after UFC San Antonio and was asked if he is looking to capitalize on having three Mexican champions by holding an event in south of the United States border in 2023.

Unfortunately, there are no plans.

“Well, we would obviously love to get back to Mexico and [have an event there], but I don’t know if it’s in the plans right now,” White told the media. “We’re building the UFC P.I. down there right now, and wait until you guys see that. I can’t wait to share that with you, actually; you know, the renderings for the UFC PI in Mexico — it’s gonna be badass. But, we’re not, we’re not looking at [an event].
“You’re right,” White continued. “You’re not wrong — we got three Mexican champions, finally. We probably should be heading to Mexico or at least doing a Cinco de Mayo [fight]. But, that didn’t work out, either.”
With Brandon Moreno, Yair Rodriguez and Alexa Grasso all holding UFC gold at the moment, one would think it would be a no-brainer to take a trip to Mexico City, Mexico, this year.

The promotion has not been to Mexico since the disaster that was UFC Fight Night: “Rodriguez vs. Stephens” back in 2019. And, before that, it was UFC Fight Night: “Pettis vs. Moreno” in 2017.

Hopefully, since it is only March, UFC will change its mind and schedule an event for Mexico. If not, the promotion can always hit southern California, which absolutely always goes nuts for Mexican fighters.

1 Like

Damn , The Baroni Comeback would have been epic .

5 Likes

5 Likes

People get kidnapped or disappeared in Mexico. Why go to a sh*t hole country, im Latino and I don’t go there

11 Likes

Just a head’s up…people do live there and they too enjoy sports.

3 Likes

Its true , stories out of TJ now are weekly. I can see why they are cautious. Sad but true.They talked Mexico City which is completely the other side . VIVA

2 Likes

thats true also , the other side of the peso

2 Likes

They go to Brazil which is arguably worse than Mexico.

1 Like

NYC , Philly and Boston , everywhere now could be scary but NHL , NBA , MLB , Soccer all proceed. Surprised

1 Like

They went to Mexico for Yair Rodriguez vs Jeremy Stephens but Stephens quit because he got eyepoked

WTF America is becoming Mexico. Thanks Joe

3 Likes

It is for fighter and fan safety. I don’t disagree with Dana and the UFC for this. Mexico is not the best place for anyone to visit and vacation to right now, especially with the cartel calling the shots and most places. High profile athletes and celebrities would get kidnapped and possibly targeted, especially American tourists going to Mexico to watch the event.

Lol Mexico City has a lot of Americans and Brits living there, its not Liberia bro

Damn, I have to buy my Chiclets through the border fence now; it’s so dangerous there.

2 Likes

1 Like

2 Likes

Too bad its at like 3 miles high.
Nobody wants to watch ehigh altitude fights

1 Like