DFW backs Max Rohskopf, blasts Bob Arum

UFC president Dana White took questions from the media following UFC on ESPN 11, and blasted critics of lightweight Max Rohskopf, who took a fight vs. Austin Hubbard on short notice, and retired on the stool after Round 2.

“In this f***ing sport, if you’re done, you’re done,” said White post-fight, as transcribed by Damon Martin for MMA Fighting. “You should absolutely be able to quit. I know that it’s frowned upon but guess what? Anybody that would talk s*** about you quitting, isn’t in there fighting. It’s real easy to be a critic. What these kids do is a whole other level.

“As the guy who runs this organization, as the guy who’s involved in the matchmaking and everything else, you see these kids, we deal with managers from all over the world, they’re like ‘this guy’s the guy, this guy’s the guy!’ When you get here, this is a whole different level and that guy’s not ready and he might not ever be ready.”

“I’ve told you guys this many times before, I believed back in the day that I was a fighter and I wanted to do this and that and one day I found out that I wasn’t. The realization was that I wasn’t. When you find out, you need to walk away. I’m not saying that’s the case with this kid, but if that kid felt like he needed to quit tonight, who the f*** is anybody to judge him on that? He had the balls to come here and fight and take a short-notice fight in the UFC. Period.”

“He’s got to get up tomorrow morning and look at himself in the mirror and figure out who he is and what he wants to do. There is no shame in getting here and finding out you’re not it. There’s no shame in that at all.

“You gave it a shot, it didn’t work out. Anybody who would try to ridicule a kid like that, f*** you. Come try it. Come try and do what he did tonight. Very few people can do it.”

https://youtu.be/DyWuthIBH5M?t=282

While responded to a question about when the league plans to return to events with a live audience. The questioner noted that boxing promoter Bob Arum intends to hold a boxing card in Las Vegas soon, with spectators in attendance. White said he is not even thinking about holding events with an audience right now, especially in the USA. And he took yet another shot at Arum. 

“So, this a**hole is saying that he’s gonna have fans at his fights, when a few weeks ago, he was talking s*** about me for even going," responded White as transcribed by MMA Weekly. "Then I go and now he’s going right after I’m going, but he’s gonna have fans all of a sudden too?! He’s an a**hole.”

dana white's opinion is based on what he thinks is best for him at the time he says it

2 Likes

Dana is right. Good for Dana. Who the heck is (5-0 overall) & 0-0 in the ufc and wants to get his debut fight against a 11-4 fighter like Austin Hubbard.

if or when he returns he is he should be brought up slower along with better/closer/competitive matchups and probably should have went on Dana White’s contender first before taking a debut fight against a TOUGH veteran.

2 Likes

nice of dana to praise the kid who was a victim of the ufc’s poor matchmaking

2 Likes

yea exactly it was a crap matchup and a mismatch to begin with

Rob Collins - yea exactly it was a crap matchup and a mismatch to begin with

he gassed? 10 days notice. first round doing good also start of 2nd. i bet your the same guy that thinks hes a pussy for qutting.

Robbbahram -
Rob Collins - yea exactly it was a crap matchup and a mismatch to begin with

he gassed? 10 days notice. first round doing good also start of 2nd. i bet your the same guy that thinks hes a pussy for qutting.

dana's comments basically mean he's not getting cut for stopping on the stool... check that response in the future for guys without upside dana likes

He did quit on the stool but that is perfectly ok and he should not be faulted or criticized. Max is not a pussy is any way and I do not think he is. Get him to a shrink for some self help, keep your head up Max, keep training and keep moving forward.

Max should not be criticized for taking a short notice fight in a not so good matchup against a super tough veteran with A LOT more experience than him. Like double the experience (11-4) vs (5-0)

Rob Collins - He did quit on the stool but that is perfectly ok and he should not be faulted or criticized. Max is not a pussy is any way and I do not think he is. Get him to a shrink for some self help, keep your head up Max, keep training and keep moving forward.

Max should not be criticized for taking a short notice fight in a not so good matchup against a super tough veteran with A LOT more experience than him. Like double the experience (11-4) vs (5-0)

Some would say that’s triple

6 Likes

Actually triple

ooops! triple !!

Did not expect this reaction from blaf. As someone who is usually critical of him, I have to give him credit here.

1 Like
Wayne Glamcock -

dana white's opinion is based on what he thinks is best for him at the time he says it

Who's isnt?

Frank Mir Cat -
Wayne Glamcock -

Who's isnt?

people who have non situational moral positions duh this is pretty basic shit

It sucks to say but Max is responsible for Max and quit on himself. He took the fight and signed the contract.

He bit off more than he can chew, got embarrassed and lost his composure. This is perfectly ok though for taking a fight on 5 days notice!!

He’s still so green though and the opponents that Max fought to get to (5-0) were not the best quality so he was not ready, especially mentally. Drysdale did his job as a coach and made sure Max was absolute positive of his decision

Congrats to Austin on a job well done!

Egg said "he is not it". I would describe that as criticism. 

For once I agree with him. Quitting should always be an option, no one else knows what’s going on in your head. Some guys at my old gym did some normal sparring, nothing crazy. One started feeling “funny”. Luckily they took him to the hospital because he had a burst aneurysm in his brain. 

A bad matchup? Hubbard was 1-2 in the ufc and literally fighting for his job. He was as close to the bottom of the roster as you can hope for in a ufc debut fight. And the kid won the first round. Let's not twist the facts. 

evh - 
Rob Collins - He did quit on the stool but that is perfectly ok and he should not be faulted or criticized. Max is not a pussy is any way and I do not think he is. Get him to a shrink for some self help, keep your head up Max, keep training and keep moving forward.

Some would say that’s triple

LOL! awesome

Wayne Glamcock -

He's spot on about Bob Arum.