DFW not impressed with Curtis Blaydes

UFC heavyweight Curtis Blaydes offered an honest prediction for how his fight vs. Alexander Volkov in the main event of UFC on ESPN 11 would go.

https://twitter.com/RazorBlaydes265/status/1273809250867798018

Although he faded in the championship rounds, Blaydes won a dominating, wrestling-heavy unanimous decision, and said post-fight he wanted to wait for a title shot. That would presumably be vs. the winner of current champion Stipe Miocic vs. former champ champ Daniel Cormier, vs. Francis Ngannou. "The Predator" is the only person to beat Blaydes, and he did it twice, so he's next, then Blaydes.

However, at the post-fight press conference, White was not impressed.

“He won. He talked a lot of s*** coming in this week," said White as transcribed by Abhinav Kini for Low Kick MMA. "I don’t think he talked the s*** he talked this week to come in and perform like that, talking about rag dolling people, he’s not getting paid, yada yada, he should be getting the title shot. He gassed out at the end of the third round. He made it to the fifth and won the fight. He won.”

“First of all, he has two losses to Francis. How do you give him the title fight over Francis? But yeah, he would be considered next in line.

“With his performance tonight and his cardio? I wouldn’t wait around if I was him. I would stay active, I would stay busy. I like Curtis Blaydes. But Curtis Blaydes has the wrong attitude as far as I’m concerned. I don’t have anything against the kid at all — when you talk s*** like he talked this week, you better come in and whoop somebody’s ass when you talk *** like that. When you talk the s*** that he talked and perform like he performed tonight, you look stupid.”

https://youtu.be/tge-2psy96I?t=1272

Blaydes did ragdoll Volkov for much of the fight. And Blaydes didn't so much call for the next title shot and argue that he deserves it more than Ngannou, as he said he was glad there was finally movement at the top of the division, getting him closer to his title shot goal. However, Blaydes was crystal clear in the last week on where he stands about fighter compensation, and the stance taken by Jon Jones, Jorge Masvidal, Henry Cejudo, and Conor McGregor.

"I'm very proud of the sacrifices they are making and I know that they are putting their careers and paychecks in jeopardy," said Blaydes on the 'State of Combat" podcast, as transcribed by Brian Campbell  for CBS Sports. "I respect what they are doing because we need big names to speak up. 

"We do deserve more money. I'm not even trying to be greedy. We are on ESPN now. That is supposed to mean something. We should be able to live the lives of other professional athletes in hockey, baseball, NFL, and NBA. I'm not saying we need to make $20 million a fight but top guys like Jon Jones, Jorge, McGregor and those other top guys, they should be making a minimum of $5 million per fight. That should cause a trickle-down effect."

"I don't like seeing guys go into a war against one another where both guys are amazing and are fighting for $12,000 and $12,000. It's a little embarrassing. These are top athletes and a lot of them have to have jobs still. If you want this sport to grow, you need to provide more amenities for us as far as training. You can't have guys who are ranked who have to drive for Uber. That's embarrassing."

"I don't want to hear all those excuses, the money is there. I don't want to hear the excuses. Even if you just bumped us up to like 29% of revenue, that would be a giant raise for guys. I don't want to hear that. If you don't want to pay us, just say you don't want to give us the money. Just say that and don't make excuses like, 'I don't know where it's going to come from.' It's like, bro, don't do that. Don't disrespect our intelligence like that. We are worth more. If you don't want to pay us, just say that and we can make our own informed decisions. 

"It's like you trying to pee on us and calling it rain like we're dumb. I know we get hit in the head a lot but we are not dumb."

This is the second main event in a row that Blaydes won. Although the purses have not been released for Saturday's event, it is believed that Blaydes' contract has a 5k escalator, which would mean he earned 90 and 90 on Saturday night.

1 Like

By ragdoll did he mean lay on him and breathe heavy?

3 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsDm3DlGj_U

Love Blaydes, smart fighter.

1 Like

When Dana starts a sentence “I like fighter X, but...” you know he doesn’t like fighter X.

3 Likes

Fought smart and too his strengths. Having said that I’m not excited to watch his next fight.

1 Like
dinkledorf -

Yeah, it kinda annoys me.

I guess that's just the way the sport is.  They want to promote the blood and guts. 

It's also a sliding scale, because I've watched guys like Khabib do the same exact shit Blaydes does and be hailed as some mauling grappling genius.

I don't even like Volkov, but Blaydes had his way with him, and Volkov is not an easy guy to get down and control like that.

1 Like

Nothing wrong with going out and just wet blanketing people for a win if you can do it. Just don't expect to make the money that exciting fighters make. All the people that idiot named as the best fighters, not one of them puts on shit performances like that. Conor, Jon, Izzy and those guys are exciting and we as fans pay to see them. I fast forwarded through 80% of that fight. You think I would pay to see Ngannou sleep that boring clown again? Or pay to see DC teach him how to really wrestle with an intent to finish? Or pay to see Stipe get a unanimous decision on him when he stuffs the takedowns and Blaydes gasses at the end of rd2? 

NO.   I wouldn't. Who here would after that performance?

3 Likes

Yeah bro fuck fighting smart! He should stand and Wang!

2 Likes
WaltJ -
dinkledorf -

I guess that's just the way the sport is.  They want to promote the blood and guts. 

It's also a sliding scale, because I've watched guys like Khabib do the same exact shit Blaydes does and be hailed as some mauling grappling genius.

I don't even like Volkov, but Blaydes had his way with him, and Volkov is not an easy guy to get down and control like that.

Khabib beats the fucking shit out of you and doesn't look like he's going to DADA 5000 after 2 rounds. Khabib takes you down and beats the fucking shit out of you while moving, advancing and not wrestle wet blanket you.

I get a W is a W but come on..... 

5 Likes

I fell asleep after round 2 and I woke up at one point I think round 4 had just started and they were already in the ground 5 seconds into it. I fell back asleep lmao. 

ShotgunSurgeon -

Fighting smart/boring is fine. It will rack up wins. But you can't cry that you don't make the money that the exciting fighters do.  It's the people who pay, who in turn, make you the money. Fighting like that won't make people wanna pay.

1 Like

His interview immediately after the fight was embarrassing. He mumbled like he was dying while keeping his eyes closed and his mouth just hanging open. It also bothers me how much he looks like a cabbage patch kid. His fights have been shitty 90% of the time. 

1 Like
cantuna4u -
ShotgunSurgeon -

Fighting smart/boring is fine. It will rack up wins. But you can't cry that you don't make the money that the exciting fighters do.  It's the people who pay, who in turn, make you the money. Fighting like that won't make people wanna pay.

This reminds me of when Woodley eeked out boring wins over Thompson twice and Maia, then called everyone racist who didn't like his Totally understand winning smart. You just gotta totally understand that a lot of people are not entertained. And they pay the bills. 

1 Like
Thebonfirexm -
WaltJ -
dinkledorf -

Khabib beats the fucking shit out of you and doesn't look like he's going to DADA 5000 after 2 rounds. Khabib takes you down and beats the fucking shit out of you while moving, advancing and not wrestle wet blanket you.

I get a W is a W but come on..... 

Blaydes has finished 10 out of his 14 wins with KO's , usually some form of brutal, elbow-laden GNP, so it's not like he's always boring.  

You can stand and sling leather with HWs if you want to, but it doesn't typically have great longterm prospects.   Even the top guys like Stipe and DC only have so many bombs left on their chins before they turn into the next JDS's or Cain's of the world. 

Blaydes has already been KOd twice by Ngannou, but is still young enough and talented enough to maybe eventually, one day, beat Francis in a third fight.   At their respective ages, it's pretty much guaranteed that they're going to meet again at some juncture, so the less damage Blaydes (or anyone else) takes, the better it's going to be for them. 

We just saw with the Ferguson fight that simply trying to out-tough everyone has its limitations. Blaydes is a huge dude with improvements he needs to makes, but his wrestling acumen in the cage is an X-factor in that division and he'd be an idiot to not utilize it.  Like I said, I'm not by any means the president of Volkov's fan club, but Blaydes handled his ass last night and he did it by being a better strategist.

WaltJ -
dinkledorf -

To be fair, Khabib tends to do more damage and not get as gassed as Blaydes was last night. And FWIW my kids and I wached the entire fight last night cheering for Curtis, but he gassed and held on for the win. We were legit worried about a last round KO loss to negate all his hard work. 

Nothing that isn't fixable though, and he even said in the post fight between nearly pasing out that he's gonna work on his 5 round stamina. 

I'm not sure why anyone would fight for the kind of money the UFC pays.

Most fighters leave the sport broke, yeah you fought in the UFC, so what. 

But if you're dumb enough to do it then I'm dumb enough to watch.

Last night reminded me of a a GSP fight 

3 Likes

Holding fighters and not doing damage should be scored as neutral or I might even venture be called stalling because it’s essentially what it is

WaltJ -
dinkledorf -

Sorry but if you really think Khabib does the exact same shit Blaydes does you have no idea what you are watching.