DFW to have the talk with BJ Penn if he loses

DFW to have the talk with BJ Penn if he loses

/go=news.detail&gid=445584

One of the worst things in boxing is prize fighters who don't retire, continuing to compete with obvious brain damage. It is a hard thing, to tell a man he can no longer pursue a beloved livelihood. In boxing, no one seems to do it.

At UFC 134 in 2011, White said he would have given the talk to Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira, if he had lost to Brendan Schaub. Big Nog won, and still fights.

"When you look at a guy throughout his career, Chuck Liddell went through the same thing," explained White. "You could hit Chuck Liddell with a baseball bat when he was younger in his career and the guy never got rocked or hurt. And Nogueira was that same way. If you looked back throughout his career how many wars this guy has been in, the Crocop fight, all the wars this guy has been in, how much punishment he used to take, now he gets hit and he gets hurt a lot easier... If he lost, he and I would have been having a discussion."

Now White says he will have the talk with BJ Penn, if Penn loses to Frankie Edgar at TUF 19 Finale Edgar vs. Penn on FOX Sports 1 this Sunday.

"This is B.J. Penn's last fight possibly," said White on FOX Sports 1 as transcribed by Dave Doyle. "If he wins, we'll see what he does from there, but if he loses, I will actually push for him to retire."

"it could be possibly watching Michael Jordan playing his last basketball game. It could be Tiger Woods' last golf game."

Penn is 1-4-1 his last six fights, with his last win coming over Matt Hughes by first round KO in 2010. Before that, he lost to Edgar, twice, both by five round unanimous decision. Edgar is 2-3-1 his last six fights.

Ruh roh

Gonna get ugly Phone Post 3.0

Dana trying to motivate Penn??? Phone Post

WeidmanBrokeTheLEGend - Ruh roh

Extremely. Not like bj is losing by ko every fucking fight.. He's also at his natural class 155/145. Dana needs to back off before the true bj penn fans get wind of this. Phone Post 3.0

BJ had a fantastic career, win or lose his legacy doesn't change. Still wish Tito would have retired after beating Bader. Can't blame them for wanting "One more fight" after a win though. Phone Post 3.0

Dumb thing to say right before a fight. If you plan to do that, then do it. But don't broadcast it to the world and to the fighter right before a fight. That's ridiculous pressure to add right before a fight.

Nothing like a bit of pressure Phone Post 3.0

Moke - Dumb thing to say right before a fight. If you plan to do that, then do it. But don't broadcast it to the world and to the fighter right before a fight. That's ridiculous pressure to add right before a fight.
Agreed Phone Post 3.0

Disrespectful. BJ is a Ledgend and can make his own decisions. Phone Post 3.0

yellow's alphamalesouth - 
Moke - Dumb thing to say right before a fight. If you plan to do that, then do it. But don't broadcast it to the world and to the fighter right before a fight. That's ridiculous pressure to add right before a fight.
Agreed Phone Post 3.0

Dick move by White, I honestly wonder if he thinks before he opens his mouth.

Terrible time to say that stuff.

Where are the Dana defenders when he says dumb shit like this? BJ's fought out of his weight class for 4 years. They didn't all go his way, but that's a far cry from Chuck getting blasted in every loss (in his proper division), or Nog getting his arm snapped by Frank and his chin demolished by Roy (also in his proper division).

So, if BJ doesn't beat one of the greatest lighter weight fighters ever, who just fought for the title, he gets "the talk"? GTFO. Phone Post 3.0

I wonder sometimes if Dana just likes seeing his name in the headlines (or hearing about it, since he says he doesn't read what's happening online). It's ridiculous that this kind of message is being broadcast right before such a big fight with so much already on the line. Classless move on Dana's part.

Nobody tells bj what to do Phone Post 3.0

RyannVonDoom - 
WeidmanBrokeTheLEGend - Ruh roh

Extremely. Not like bj is losing by ko every fucking fight.. He's also at his natural class 155/145. Dana needs to back off before the true bj penn fans get wind of this. Phone Post 3.0

Well, he is 1-4-1 om his last six fights over the past 4 years.

A loss to Edgar puts him in the same territory as Gomi, Shogun, Henderson, etc. Guys that have alot of fight left in them, but can't hang at the top level.

All fighters that should probably call it quits soon before their legacy is tarnished by losing to lower level fighters in the future.

time for Lorenzo to give Dana "the Talk".

NatualBornTickler - Nobody tells bj what to do Phone Post 3.0

Damn right!! War BJ

DFW is not a fighter Phone Post 3.0

I don't agree with this with this  because he has fought and lost outside of his proper weight class which is  the 55/45 lb. divisions. Plus I feel he won the 1st fight against Frankie. I think he's still got some fight left in him at this weight class, regardless if he wins or loses.

He's a small lightweight who made a career of fighting the best welterweights, and now all of a sudden they're worried about his health? Phone Post 3.0

This is the problem with a monopoly! Phone Post 3.0