Dips

Started a new gym this week. They have a dip station that is a little different than the one at my old gym. The handles/rails start out narrow then widen the further out they go.

What gets worked differently using the wider grip?

In my experience, the width of the grip is more for comfort than affecting the muscle group you are working. If a grip is too narrow or wide, it hurts my shoulders.

That being said, I think a very narrow grip would tend to work the triceps more - a wider grip, the chest. However, what matters more (IMO) is the angle at which you ar dipping. Leaning forward will work your chest more regardless of grip width; keeping an upright posture works the triceps more.

Cool. thanks.

Another tip someone gave me about working the chest when dipping: tuck your chin down into your neck and keep it there, even on the last few hard reps. The tendency is to bring your head up, arching your back. If you focus on keeping your chin down, you can keep the stress on your chest.

Sometimes, though, you just gotta cheat. ;)

Thanks for the tips guys.

I only started doing dips over the past year. It has become one of my favorite exercises. I was never able to do Tricep type pushups... after a few weeks doing dips I could rifle them off no problem. I just about wet myself from sheer glee. Prob the single best strength gain i've ever accomplished. (Never been a serious lifter)

Thanks again.

"when approaching the bottom of the movement. You can do a lot of damage going too far down. Use good judgement: if it hurts, can it really be good for you?"

Good point!

I have a question about dips. I did some of them, but never in a gym. I also watched descriptions and videos of ppl doing them, one thing always bothered me: the range of motion seems so damn small? do i need dips if i can do pushups and pullups? do they offer something special?

"when approaching the bottom of the movement. You can do a lot of damage going too far down. Use good judgement: if it hurts, can it really be good for you?"

Good point!

=========================

BUT it could also mean a LACK OF FLEXBILITY also. Just depends on your situation and are you injure free or you have been injured.

If you have say broken your shoulder in an accident it is less important that you go as low as a person who has NOT HAD AN ACCIDENT.

Just im prove the flexibility so you can go further and not make it an excuse. You don't have to go seriously low as soon as possible. GRADUALLY INCREASE it so that you can over time.

I see a lot of people half ass dips and they can go further but they are not.

Koing

ttt

I love dips...

Koing, agreed, half-ass dips are weak. I try to always go to parallel, occasionally a bit deeper. Sometimes I see guys stretching their shoulders several inches below parallel, though, and I always cringe. My bicep tendons hurt just watching them.

nosleep asked "do i need dips if i can do pushups and pullups? do they offer something special?"

The best thing about dips over pushups is that they are just plain harder. Ask someone who does 50 strict pushups to do 50 strict dips. After you give him a long time to rest, of course. :) Definitely not as easy. But beyond that, it's just a different exercise that hits your muscles in a different way.

ttt

I love weighted dips.  Started doing them a couple weeks ago 2x a week, and its surprising how much stronger my upper body has gotten.  I really didn't think I would notice it much when I went from unweighted to weighted but have been quite surprised.  Impresses the hell out of people to see me do it too (not a big guy)....

I started doing dips on gymnast rings about 4 weeks ago, definitely my favourite variation.

C