Discuss!

or not.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JfgfiJ50Zdc&fbclid=IwAR11CVfFWj5C-y2sb9q3hiWA17RwQiYs1pfrw_7PPCz7RHut0_mYwOl9BiU

LARPing.

Red Stuff - LARPing.

Sharp is a LARPer?!?!

Interdasting

How 'bout this?

BAH!

Kiss the dragon>LARPing

what cracks me up...kron wins fight in ufc and everybody all cockhard about "fundamentals". But most people dont seem to train jiujitsu for any type of fighting. WHATS MORE "FUNDAMENTAL" THAN LEARNING TO FIGHT/DEFEND YOURSELF AND OTHERS WITH JIUJTSU?!??!

The first video is good.  Most DT programs I consider legit teach similarly.

When doing inservice i dont go past '2-on-1 on the weapon and be aggressive' because showing anything more severely dilutes the message to guys who do not train everyday.

The inevitable "what do I do next" question I answer the same way for everybody.  Its not what SHOULD I do its what WILL you do.  You WILL do whatever you train everyday.  If thats an arm drag, you will arm drag.  If thats nothing, you will do nothing.  There are no guarantees of success either way.

As for the FT vid... that channel annoys me.  Ive seen a lot of crap stuff from them.  Made it 4mins in until the guy started cross blocking the incoming.

N5Z - 

When doing inservice i dont go past '2-on-1 on the weapon and be aggressive' because showing anything more severely dilutes the message to guys who do not train everyday.

The inevitable "what do I do next" question I answer the same way for everybody.  Its not what SHOULD I do its what WILL you do.  You WILL do whatever you train everyday.  If thats an arm drag, you will arm drag.  If thats nothing, you will do nothing.  There are no guarantees of success either way.

As for the FT vid... that channel annoys me.  Ive seen a lot of crap stuff from them.  Made it 4mins in until the guy started cross blocking the incoming.

I don’t know much about much, and I have zero knowledge about FT and their reputation (good or bad), and I too almost stopped watching when he started showing the cross-block, but if you watch a further, he uses it as a crash entry. The rest is concepts moreso than technique.

Moke -
N5Z - 

I don’t know much about much, and I have zero knowledge about FT and their reputation (good or bad), and I too almost stopped watching when he started showing the cross-block, but if you watch a further, he uses it as a crash entry. The rest is concepts moreso than technique.

Never saw these guys before also, I think their system requires quite a bit of practice to be proficient. Bottom line i agree with is, you gonna get cut.

We had a knife seminar about 6 weeks ago and that's essentially what we did (live drills to secure a 2-on-1).

Robobear -
Moke -
N5Z - 

Never saw these guys before also, I think their system requires quite a bit of practice to be proficient. Bottom line i agree with is, you gonna get cut.

oh yeah…you gonna g3t cut. His point about impact and fights move, we move, is good one. Counter k ife training sucks b3cause of that point…if one doesntot have the attributes to "move"…theygonna have a harder time getting baseball, or various 2on1 grips, pressure attacker, etc. Whichnis why many in jiujitsu suck, if 5hey dont do cl8nchwork.

Paul Sharp is part of Shivworks.

My experience with Shivworks was extremely positive.

1 Like
N5Z -

your point about"...what will you do"

EXACTLY!

Jiujitsu guys are always saying...i do this i wont do that, like they can shift gears to some5hing other tha  their default.

Moke -
N5Z - 

his crash entry is the key thing to take away from his material…and zubsequent pressure he puts on attacker. Which as i mentiined in other thread why pressure oriented style makes for a better default foundation for fighting/SD

Sgt. Slaphead -
N5Z -

your point about"...what will you do"

EXACTLY!

Jiujitsu guys are always saying...i do this i wont do that, like they can shift gears to some5hing other tha  their default.

While I generally agree with your sentiments I disagree with your absolutism about what jiu jitsu is good for self defense.

A proficient clinch and pressure style will serve you well if you are an average to bigger guy.  What if you are a smaller guy or woman?  Does it still hold true?

BJJ guys going to their default is a good thing.  I still believe that the vast majority of jiu jitsu technique taught today can be applied to a fight.  I might disagree with how it is taught.  Teaching a white belt x-guard before mount escapes is bad... but if a guy has a killer x-guard I would rather he go there during a fight than a clinch he is unpracticed and feels insecure at.

Your style of jiu jitsu should be heavily predicated on your physical attributes.  Ideally, it should organically become the most efficient way for you to fight.

i understand what you saying about pressure stype.....aka "big man game". But pressure default is what everyone needs for defensive purposes imho. Especially as it pertains to this subject where control and pressure on weapon bearijg limb.

Even a small person can learn to play pressure....i have a 160lb partner that feels over 200 with presure on the ground, and pressure in the clinch. Also, pressure orie ted  style is important in the gym...so everyone get the exposure and learnes to deal with it. For example, my friends daughter, IMHO, would have been better able to fight off her rapist, had she had exposure to crushing pressure in her 2yrs of jiujitsu....her attacker wasnt much bigger than her. Lear ing preesure is both doing it, and dealing with it.

im on a ladder unning cable der, so thumbtyping is even worse i think

I wouldn’t call Sharp a larp’er. Dudes a legit black belt,swat officer, under cover officer, and part of the main instructors for shivworks. I would take his advice as professional experience bc he’s more than likely used it on the job. End of post

I can't hit an arm drag 100% of the time on someone that isn't holding a knife.

Why would I abandon an established 2 on 1 and gamble on hitting the arm drag perfectly?

He's says to do the arm drag if that's your skill level. But I don't know my skill level for arm dragging a dude who wants to kill me with a knife?

Do you know yours?</p>
N5Z - 

Good points.

ALL self-defense training --even "good" non-batsh!t crazy training-- has a tendency to get too "technical"; too soon; instructors can't resist showing more "stuff";  more options, more moves, variables, possibilities, etc.

--Which I get--

Reality is, when people attend a seminar, they want to see things --new things they don't know-- so instructors feel pressure to show them a bunch of new things. 

But, what you end up with sometimes are people who --in some cases-- can barely even move doing a whole bunch of variations which are, frankly, a waste of time for them.What they actually may need is to improve their balance or strength or mindset. But that's not gonna happen in a seminar. So in lieu of getting that which they truly need, they're given some "moves".

But, then again, that's just the nature of seminars, I suppose.