DLH/Sturm-I thought DLH won

Just a few observations:

Sturm was more accurate, and including his jab, landed more punches. But most of Sturm's so called power punches weren't hard shots, they were thrown just for points. Sturm's jab looked good, especially with the blood on DLH, but i didn't think it was a punishing jab the way Foreman's or someone like that was

DLH threw more, landed the harder shots, and landed alot of impressive combos. Not only that, but i thought by far the harder shots were landed by DLH. Also, for the bulk of the fight, DLH was moving forward, and Strum was going back.

I thought it was a close fight, but I would have scored it for DLH by 1 or 2 points. I thought RJJ became a Sturm cheerleader after about the 8th, and there really wasn't any point in listening to him after that. Lampley was pretty biased after a point too.

Its worth noting that Lederman had DLH losing by 2 points, and Merchant said maybe a draw, so it wasn't like anyone thought Sturm won it by several rounds or anything.

All in all, I think DLH by 1 wasn't unreasonable, especially when you consider that DLH had to have stolen some of the close rounds with his flashy combos and his higher output

Another thing is, that there's no point in trying to draw a conclusion about DLH vs Hopkins from this one, because as everyone said, DLH would fight Hopkins completely differently

yah dlh is going to fight hopkins from his back lol

well i think that's funny, cause Hopkins didn't look like a million bucks in his fight either

another thing was, I thought DLH looked better in 10, 11, 12 than he usually does, just as a note for the Hopkins fight

and another thing is, its ridiculous to talk about how Sturm is the better fight or the clear winner, like he was saying, or that he was robbed, like the HBO guys were saying, when even a Sturm fan wouldn't have given him more than a 2 point win.

It was a close fight, i wouldnt' have bitched if Sturm had won by a point, and i don't think anyone should be saying robbery cause DLH won.

"or that he was robbed, like the HBO guys were saying"

What "HBO guy" said Sturm was robbed?

"A close enought fight that I don't think you could call it highway robbery" - Jim Lampley

I thought DLH won it and was suprised by his own reaction after the fight. I guess it goes to show you that fights look a lot different on TV than they do from ringside.

the expression on his face said everything

"A close enought fight that I don't think you could call it highway robbery" - Jim Lampley "

"BUT a very questionable decision" was the rest of that Lampley quote

RJJ said flat out that Sturm won

i totally agree. it was a close fight with neither guy really doing anything amazing.

sturm was landing a solid jab and some clean punches, dlh was landing some clean shots to the midsection, but there weren't any knockdowns that i saw, and neither guy was truly dominating.

and case some of you haven't caught on yet, the vegas judges weigh effective AGGRESSIVENESS pretty heavily. how did sturm lose the 12th you ask? by running, the same way that oscar dropped that last fight to shane. pretty clear cut, if you ask me.

hornbuckle I usually post on your threads disagreeing with you but in this case I agree with everything you said. Roy Jones was openly cheering for Sturm, mainly because he hates Oscar but also because he does not want Bernard to get his payday. I watched it live but missed just how much Roy was cheering for Sturm.

Mitchow makes an excellent point. In reality, Vegas has been very consistent when judging Oscar fights. The more aggressive guy in almost every fight he has had has gotten the W.

I thought it was a bad idea for Sturm to run from DLH at the end of the 12th. He should have cracked Oscar a couple more times with his left as the bell was ringing & add an exclamation point.

"hornbuckle I usually post on your threads disagreeing with you but in this case I agree with everything you said. Roy Jones was openly cheering for Sturm, mainly because he hates Oscar but also because he does not want Bernard to get his payday. I watched it live but missed just how much Roy was cheering for Sturm."

Another stupid statement. How do you know for a fact that Roy "does not want Bernard to get his payday". If Bernard beats Oscar, there is STILL a chance of Jones-Hopkins II down the line(now that there is no DK to take 40% off the top of Ex's purse). That fight wouldnt sell as well if Ex lost to DLH.You must also be unaware of the fact that they hung out not too long ago at a charity type of event and a lot of their so called "feud" was basically hype by Bernard. They have known each other since the early 90s. Ex was training for the first Mercado fight at the Triple Threat Gym in New Jersey and Roy was also training there at the same time. Roy was giving Bernard a lot of props in the broadcast. Granted, he is not too friendly with Oscar.

I watched it for the first time and had it 114-114. Sturm was outworked by Oscar, showed a failure to put his punches together, and also showed an inability to effectively counterpunch. He basically gave Oscar his body.

His speed and jab are good, and he can move. But as I pointed out earlier, he hasnt even beaten the top guy in Europe(Howard Eastman)or any top 10 middle so his "world" champion status was dubious.

Rogie I do not know it for a fcat but I believe it. How do you know he wants him to get it for a fcat. You do not. So do not insult me when you have no more info than me. It is stupid on your part. Since your financial abilities are as lacking as Gator's spelling abilities, I will let you in on a little secret. Outside of Oscar, Roy is Bernard's biggest payday. If Bernard beats Oscar, he gets a bigger cut in a potential fight with Roy. It is better for Roy if Bernard Oscar does not happen. I also know their history so I do not need you to recite what you read on the internet. No offense Rogie but you are not the smartest boxing guy on earth. Stop acting like only your opinion is whyat matters. Your opinions normally coincide with who is your favorite anyway. I respect your knowledge but just because you do not like me makes my statement "stupid". You also insulted me on another post when you were blabbing about how big truck Braithrighte is a better fighter than MAB. Talk about stupid.

Big O I saw it live and thought the judges had it right. Oscar has alot of haters and they will always score against him. I bet a large portion of the robbery claimants never evenb watched the fight live. Ron Borges scored the fight 116-112 for Oscar. The AP had it a draw. 3 judges had it for Oscar. Lederman gave Sturm round 12 to avoid a draw. Lederman has a history of giving round 12 to the guy he thinks won without actually scoring the round. See round 12 of Forrest Mayorga. Forrest won it easily but Lederman would have had it a draw so he gave round 12 to Mayorga as a gift.

I gave Felix the last 3 rounds because his left hand was glued to Oscar's face.

i disagree. i didn't think Sturm wont he last 3. i gave at least one of those to DLH

"You also insulted me on another post when you were blabbing about how big truck Braithrighte is a better fighter than MAB. Talk about stupid."

More Lies from a known liar. I said Barrera and Ayala are on the downside and it is not that great a fight because neither of the two can contend with Marquez and Pacquiao. Hopkinshater tried to troll me with something about DK's PPVs, and I pointed out that the last two Kingvision cards had some pretty good fights(not including Tarver-Jones II). You didnt even see the Golota-Byrd PPV, and I doubt you have seen many of BRAITHWAITE'S fights. He is one of the most exciting young champs out there right now. And him against O'Neill Bell should be a heck of a scrap.

It helps Roy-Hopkins II if Bernard beats Oscar. The average fan will take a lot more interest if the guy who whipped Oscar is fighting Roy Jones(providing Jones beats Tarver again). Just because you BELIEVE Roy does not want the fight to happen, does not mean that it is true. Roy has his own problems right now-his stock has plummeted and unless he fights and beats Tarver again and Bernard beats Oscar.Roy-Bernard II is not that big a fight.

I never said I was the sharpest boxing guy around nor do I dislike you, the fact is you are putting words in Roy Jones mouth when you have no proof.i didnt read that Roy and Bernard were buddy buddy years ago on the Internet einstein, Earl Gustkey wrote it YEARS ago in his column. Have a nice day.

P.S. You blew it again when you posted that Arum promoted Toney-Jirov on your Arum fanboy thread. That was done by Goossen Tutor and Dibella(he advises Jirov)if Im not mistaken.

I am surprised that there was not more urgency in Sturm's corner. Surely, they were not naive enough to think that they could get a close decision. We'll see if Jermaine Taylor and Sturm will get it on somewhere down the line.

People tend to to favor the fighter who finishes the fight the strongest. I am guessing that that the vast majority of the people who were calling the decision an outrage last weekened were people who watched the fight for entertainment value without actually scoring the fight.

I am far from a Dela Hoya fan, I actually believe that he lost to Ike Quartey in addition to Felix Trinidad, but I felt that he did enough against Sturm to warrant atleast a draw. Oscar dug some really hard shots to Sturm's body and lit Sturm up with really nice combos. That said, if I was a Dela Hoya fan, I would be greatly concerned that Oscar was forced into such a tough fight against a guy who essentially an average fighter albeit one with fairly decent fundamentals.