do my homework and get a blue name

I'm gonna be going blue in a little while here. so i will take you with me if you can provide me with a satisfactory answer to this ecology question regarding disturbance ecology.

11) Using the example of the Yellowstone fires of 1988, explain how disturbances can be beneficial to some species and detrimental to others.

i will use the best answer and if it receives full (or close to full credit) i will blue you... that sounds bad... oh well.

this is a graduate level course so it needs to be detailed and thorough.

good luck

there are no rhinos in yellowtone but they would consider getting some after the fire. SO it was good for rhinos potentially and bad for all the animals that died. "Nature appears to be stupid and cruel sometimes"--Bertrand Russell

Fake Rassler - there are no rhinos in yellowtone but they would consider getting some after the fire. SO it was good for rhinos potentially and bad for all the animals that died. "Nature appears to be stupid and cruel sometimes"--Bertrand Russell

lol well this is the best so far

http://i52.tinypic.com/c017t.jpg

The fires in Yellowstone burned in a mosaic pattern, with some areas greatly impacted and others only marginally affected. Inside fire perimeters, large expanses of forest were completely untouched.[24] There were three major types of burning. From an aesthetic viewpoint, the most destructive fires were the canopy crown fires that in many places obliterated entire forests. Crown fires accounted for about 41 percent of all the area that burned.[25] Mixed fires burned both the canopy and vegetation on the ground, or burned one or the other as they spread through the forest. Ground fires spread slowly along the ground, consuming smaller plants and dead plant material; some ground fires burned for longer duration and intensity, contributing to the loss of many trees whose canopies were never directly burned.

The recovery from the fires began almost immediately, with plants such as fireweed appearing in a matter of days after a fire had passed. While surrounding national forests did some replanting and even dispersed grass seed by airplane, the regeneration in Yellowstone was generally so complete that no replanting was even attempted.[25] Though some small plants did not immediately reassume their pre-fire habitats, most did, and the vast majority of plants regrew from existing sprouts which survived the heat from the fires. There was a profusion of wildflowers in burned areas, especially between two and five years after the fires.[26]

Seeds had little distance to travel, even in severely burned areas. Much of the most badly burned forest was within 160 to 650 feet (49 to 200 m) of less affected areas. Still, most regeneration of the plants and trees came from immediate sources, either above or below ground. Lodgepole pines generally do not disperse their seeds more than 200 feet (61 m), so seed dispersal from less burned parts apparently had little effect on more severely burned areas.[25] In regions that did experience complete burnouts, the average depth of charred soil was only about half an inch (14 mm), so few roots, even of grasses, were killed by the fire. This allowed rapid regeneration throughout the ecosystem.[27]

The predominant tree in Yellowstone, the lodgepole pine, fared poorly from the fires, except in areas where the heat and flames were very mild. The lodgepole pine is serotinous and often produces pine cones that remain closed and will not disperse seeds unless subjected to fire. Research of test plots established after the fires indicated that the best seed dispersal occurred in areas which had experienced severe ground fires, and that seed dispersal was lowest in areas which had only minor surface burns.[27] Regions with crown fires sometimes had the highest rates of regeneration of lodgepole pine after 5 years.[28] However, the rate of lodgepole regeneration was not uniform, with some areas seeing extremely high densities of new growth while other areas had less. Stands of dead lodgepole killed by the fires may persist for decades, rising above new growth and providing habitat for birds and other wildlife.[25]

Aspen became more widespread after the fires, occupying areas that had been dominated by conifers. It had long been believed that Aspen regenerated by sprouting from existing roots rather than by seed dispersal. However, Aspen sprouts appeared two years after the fires as far as 9 miles (14 km) from the nearest known Aspen trees. Aspen is a preferred grazing food for elk and many of the newer Aspen are consequently small, except in areas that are harder for elk to get to.[27] The resurgence of Aspen after the fires was a contrast to pre-fire events, as Aspen had been increasingly scarce in the park. This might be a temporary event as conifers continue to grow and eventually crowd out other tree species.[25]

So basically the fire took place (1) in the canopy and (2) on the ground. So obviously depending where certain plants and animals live was effected respectively.

The cool thing is the "lodgepole" actually only has cones that do not release seeds unless exposed to fire. So it did very well where fire was present and not that well where the fire was absent.

Just read the above posts and ask yourself if the presence of fire helped or hindered the plants in that area.

ohferfuxsakes - you wikied yourself out of the running

I already have a blue name... 

no plagiarism! if the UG gets me boot from grad school i'll burn this MF'er to the ground lol

My answer is 100% original even the quote

Dongbar13 - no plagiarism! if the UG gets me boot from grad school i'll burn this MF'er to the ground lol

If it's written on a public forum then it can be found on google, no?

if i wasn't a lazy shit i wouldn't have made this thread

just sayin

lol

"Mods, please move this thread to the cheatingatschoolground subforum. "

holy shit! they have one of those?

ug, i am disapoint

While many species were eliminated from the area because of the polulation being killed by the fire, and prevented from returning due to lack of nutrition to sustain them, species such as the mole were able to burrow far enough underground to protect themselves from the fire, were able to find adequate nutrition to sustain themselves afterward, largely because of the lessened competition for food, and did so with with relatively little fear of predators, seeing as how most of them were destroyed by the fire.

thats not exactly a thorough answer, but its not hard to fill in the blanks

good start. but fires tend to have little if any effect on animals. fires are a huge part of plant community life cycles though. the majority of plant communities here in america are highly pyrogenic.

the submission i chose was sent via PM. it will be about a week before i get it back

PM reply sent. Thanks bro. Your welcome. Give my blue name to a poor black or mex kid as we discussed