Do you think that UFC will address their subpar product?

The cards have been so bad lately. Conor/Chandler perhaps not happening really puts a spotlight on how poor the fight cards have been and seemingly are going to be. Sometimes less is more. I really hope Dana/the UFC puts more thought into making this sport interesting and fun again.

3 Likes

No. Because people keep paying.

The only time companies address product quality issues is when it hits them in the only place where it hurts, their profits.

11 Likes

I went to the St Louis card and it was fucking horrible - all decisions for the most part.

With that said it was packed and people were marking out for ufc gear.

1 Like

There isn’t really any motivation for them to put on packed cards. As I understand it, their contract with ESPN dictates how much they earn for each PPV in advance, not the actual buys. I guess they might make more at the gate but most cards seem to sell well regardless, and I can’t imagine the increased revenue from merch would be worth the increased fighter expense. It’s strange.

3 Likes

As everyone else had said, there is no incentive for them to address it.

2 Likes

No. PFL, ONE, Bellator etc… are even worse products. No threat to them exists since PRIDE died.

Conor vs Chandler falling apart will not change shit.

See what happened when 200 lost Conor and then lost Jones…they headlined with Tate vs Nunes and the machine kept rolling.

UFC is not trying to do great cards monthly, they exist to do decent or good cards weekly.

Stars come and go and they keep growing regardless.

Conor vs Chandler was not a great fight. Both guys are about done with the sport. It was just an easy way to get $90 out of a bunch of casuals.

2 Likes

Exactly, if something like a PRIDE existed and they were running amazing GP’s each month and millions upon millions of people around the world preferred to watch that…UFC would have to get their shit together and give the hardcores what they want.

As it stand, they can profit off of WMMA and having Lewis and Dern headline their Fight Nights and they can give TJ and Stipe dumbass title shots they should not be getting.

1 Like

UFC barely even has to deliver HW fights. They do like one HW fight per card and barely have HW title fights at all.

They keep bringing back guys at HW who are like 4-9 in the promotion because they are cheaper than paying some of the better HW’s they don’t have signed and the casuals don’t know the difference and are watching UFC anyway.

UFC will have a 65 lb midget division and have the fucking midgets headline UFC 400 if they like the ROI and the casuals will put up with that shit.

Strikeforce was actually awesome. I loved when they had some competition. It definitely made the sport way more fun.

Bellator has some talented fighters. Unfortunately, their marketing is garbage.

1 Like

Strikeforce was very good.

The new PFL-controlled Bellator is not nearly as good as the old Bellator. They got rid of a lot of talent and sent a lot to PFL Regular Season.

The new Bellator just throws together cards for Dublin, Paris and London and they are weak compared to Coker’s cards.

This is their next card for 6/22 in Dublin.
Bellator Champions Series Quick Card

Jason Jackson vs. R. Kuramagomedov 170 lbs

Paul Hughes vs. Bobby King 155 lbs

S. Kavanagh vs. A. Blencowe 145 lbs

Kasum Kasumov vs. Matheus Mattos 135 lbs

N. Novenyi Jr. vs. Dalton Rosta 185 lbs

M. Montague vs. Karolina Sobek 145 lbs

S. Khamidov vs. M. Alves 135 lbs

Olena Kolesnyk vs. Sara Collins 145 lbs

Simeon Powell vs. A. Er-Ramy 205 lbs

F. Nuzzi vs. Shinobu Ota 135 lbs

Nathan Kelly vs. Jose Sanchez 145 lbs

K. Magomedsharipov vs. Tyler Mathison 145 lbs

They got their local hero Paul Hughes fighting the 196th ranked LW in the world as the co-main. Card is weak.

1 Like

Nick_Diaz_Army in 3, 2, 1…

2 Likes

Beat me to it…:laughing:

Nope.
ESPN already paid the UFC, it doesn’t matter if anyone watches or not.
UFC already has the money.
UFC is simply a content provider for ESPN.
UFC is not in the PPV/ratings business anymore.
UFC sells media rights now.

1 Like

He seems like a genuinely good person. Just does not have a lot of experience in the sport.

Isnt that deal ending soon?

3 Likes

Yeah, but they’ll just sell it again for another 5 years.
Probably for more money than last time.
And keep serving up the same shit sandwich.
It’s the “illusion of choice” consumer buying power seems to no longer exist.
Unfortunately, our PPV buys and ratings are bought/sold before we ever spend a dime.

You still pay for it regardless, so they don’t care.

• You pay for it through ESPN+ subscriptions (for Americans).

• You pay for it every time you go to the store to buy anything that is ever advertised at a UFC because they need to recoup advertising costs that networks charge to recoup what they’re paying the UFC.

• You’ll pay for it with increased (yet again) Netflix costs if they take the next UFC deal.

It never ends but the one constant is the consumer gets fucked even in ways they don’t usually think about.

I’ve heard people argue things like “I don’t drink that Bud Light shit!” Well, maybe not, but Budweiser is a price setter in the market so if they want to charge more to recoup money spent on some UFC contract, everyone else is jumping on that ship.

They all play these stupid money games but we’re the only ones that pay the price at the end of the day.

In conclusion, no, the UFC does not give a flying fuck about improving the product. We are not the consumer. The networks and sponsors are and we foot the bill.

The end.

2 Likes

Probably because these platforms are desperate for content…not because the product is so great

2 Likes