Does Cormier count as an A-level athlete?

Ben was explosive in scrambles and he isn’t going to be getting takedowns on world class wrestlers without speed and timing.

Ben and explosive shouldn’t be in the same sentence.

He was a great wrestler because was very technically proficient yet unorthodox.

1 Like

Ben would disagree with everything you just wrote.

I am not a wrestling guy so I will defer to you guys. To me, when you’re facing guys that are extremely fast and explosive, your timing isn’t going to save you if you don’t have the speed to execute the sprawl or finish the takedown but I am probably wrong.

Ben has unusual strength, particularly in the squeeze (cradle) or pulling in a single leg and very technically savvy/an innovator, he also possessed an above average gas tank. All the traditional attributes of an athlete: gym strength, explosiveness, speed, raw power, vertical jump, running ability, fluid coordination, Ben has none. He’s talked about how he created his mat (funk) wrestling bc he was unable to match the other wrestlers athleticism when he first got to college.

3 Likes

Got it; I stand corrected.

I can’t believe that was Cormier. He could of been 185lb champ for sure

1 Like

sexy happy days GIF

Americans have a very strange definition of athleticism that is wholly based around short distance speed and strength and completely discounts other athletic attributes like agility, endurance and reactivity/responsiveness

Absolutely. He been consistent (I know,lol) and performed at the A-level. No doubt he should count as an A-level athlete. A lot of athletes are dumbass bastards, and getting punched in the head for a living doesn’t help, so I can understand the UFC having a tough time finding likable former athletes that can do the job in a way that resonates with us that didn’t get concussed for a living.

Athleticism can be sport specific. Hell, even position specific.

Look at football. 6’10" 385 lb lineman play on the same field as 5’6" 165 lb running backs. They’re both athletic in their own right,

Cormier is as A level as you can get, even carrying a ton of extra weight.

That’s why it’s so impressive. Man I got big after college but not that big lol

Bet if he had a 6 pack, this wouldn’t even be a question. Incredibly talented at the highest levels of seemingly everything he has put his mind to, including coaching.

The funny thing is, from what I can tell, the idea that if he were more fit he would have excelled even more isn’t even all that true. I don’t think his figure has been a hinderance to his accomplishments in MMA, and his technical superiority is what made him excel. Don’t know as much about his wrestling career though.

1 Like

Lol basing that off of facts or your opinion?

Let me ask you this: Who was an Olympic athlete that got fatter (80 pounds from college to last mma fight) and became a better athlete?

How can you say being healthier and faster isn’t going to help you excel?
Not to be a dick but are you fat by chance?

I’m saying this as DC fan, he is my top 5 of all time and I think that comments even stupid (opinion not facts).

BTW you are 100% correct if he had a 6 pack this wouldn’t be a discussion

Uhhh well you cut off the part where I typed “from what I can tell” so it’s pretty clear that it’s my opinion, and being as though it’s a supposition that can’t be measured, it pretty clearly can’t be a fact.

In spite of his physique he only lost 4 fights. Being 20lbs lighter or in better shape would not have affected the outcome in any of those four losses. Being a better fighter would have.

And being in better physical shape allows you to train longer and harder. Does able to train longer and harder equate to becoming a better fighter? At his level I would think so.

You still haven’t answered my main question: Who was an Olympic athlete that got fatter (80 pounds from college to last mma fight) and became a better athlete?

Yeahhhhh that’s a tremendous reach and you know it. I’m pretty sure he never had any training sessions that he walked out of early because he was too fat to finish or got so much less out of the session from his physical shape that it would have made him so much better than it made a difference in any of those fights.

And I didn’t answer your question because it’s a hyper specific loaded question that you’re using to bait some point that I’m sure in your mind is a slam dunk. Regardless, the sample of Olympic athletes that have even made it into professional MMA is so small, I don’t even understand how… never mind. You’re great at arguing and a master of logic. I’ll just leave it at that.

Wait you bailed after that? I’m not trolling or calling you name lol
I thought we were having an adult conversation on a forum full of children :joy:

DC is an A level athlete with C level athleticism.
Athleticism definition is: the physical qualities that are characteristic of athletes, such as strength, fitness, and agility.

How does his fitness and agility compare to other athletes of his stature in other sports?

He’s like 5’10 if he’s not fat he’s not a HW. DC could kill most men who ever lived with his hands in 1 on 1 combat. If that’s not an A level athlete I don’t know what is.
I know the UG has a huge hard-on for Tyson, DC would literally butt fuck a prime Tyson in a street fight if he wanted to.