Does Nunes Stand a Chance?

Nunes will need to get it done in two. Otherwise Cyborg will weather the storm and then give Amanda a mauling.  

4th round stoppage for Cyborg or a 49-46 running away with it by the end dominant decision. 

Better chance than anyone else in the ufc right now.

I think Nunes catches her coming in and ground and pounds her till ref stops it. 

Nunes by TKO. 

As great as Cris is, she’s looked human in her past few fights. Obviously, she’s likely to win, but I give Nunes a decent chance at the upset.

Nunes can flatout bang for the womens division. Cyborg has the reputation for being the puncher, but I think Amanda’s power has been more impressive. Amanda also has a long reach and Cris will be in front of her willing to trade. Holly posed problems because of her footwork and boxing, I think Nunes is the most dangerous fight Cyborg has had. It should be explosive however long it lasts.

On the other side, this may be the only time you ever see Cyborg with decent betting odds.

FWIW: Fightmetric's stats on Cyborg and Nunes.

Cyborg

SLpM:  7.02

Str. Acc.:  52%

SApM:  1.79

Str. Def:  70%

TD Avg.:  0.85

TD Acc.:  62%

TD Def.:  91%

Sub. Avg.:  0.3

Nunes

LpM:  4.55

Str. Acc.:  51%

SApM:  2.88

Str. Def:  56%

TD Avg.:  1.82

TD Acc.:  40%

TD Def.:  79%

Sub. Avg.:  0.6

SLpM - Significant Strikes Landed per Minute

Str. Acc. - Significant Striking Accuracy

SApM - Significant Strikes Absorbed per Minute

Str. Def. - Significant Strike Defence (the % of opponents strikes that did not land)

TD Avg. - Average Takedowns Landed per 15 minutes

PreachinJosh -

So Nunes definitely has a puncher’s chance, is that accurate to say?

wild each it

ABCTT_GROUNDnLB -

Cyborg is stronger and evidently has more cardio.

How is Cyborg’s chin? Has she ever been cracked good?

I think Jorina Baars dropped her once or twice, but I don't believe it was bad

Nunes had cardio issues in the past. These extra 10 lbs. will take their toll. In fact, she put in 15 lbs. for this fight. That’s a 10% weight gain. She will be slower and will tire faster.

Also, Cyborg’s chin is better than Nunes’.

But Cyborg may have a rough cut, and we don’t know how her right ankle is hurt.

Interesting fight, whatsoever.

I see this the same way that I saw Valentina vs JJ. They’re too similar for Nunes to overcome the size difference.

Nunes has been steady fighting the best women in the world at her weight class. 

Cyborg is possibly the best woman in the world but has for the most part only fought whoever would fight her... 

I think if Nunes fights like she’s not scared; she can definitely win. Everyone is timid out of fear against Cyborg. 

Nunes has fear in her heart, she had it when she fought Valentina, that's why she was afraid to engage, and she'll have it against Cyborg whose style will be a lot less forgiving as she is aggressive.

They all say they want to fight cyborg …

until they get hit and feel cyborgs power and then they all get that look in their eyes like “ oh shit”

Intrested to see if nunes shys away like everybody else that gets hit by cyborg with mma gloves.

Even holly holm was like wtf this chick hits hard.

biggest wmma fight of all time

I honestly think that Nunes has a better chance than anyone else cyborg has fought or will fight in the ufc. I can see her getting cyborg hurt and jumping on a tko finish, or a submission off of a dazed cyborg. I don’t think she wins if it goes to the championship rounds and certainly not if it goes to the judges, cyborg simply is a machine that has one hell of a gas tank. Either way it will be a closer fight than most of you guys seem to believe 

RonaldRaygun -

I guess I'm alone in thinking Nunes has a really good chance here. I've thought for many years that Nunes was the only fighter who had a good chance of taking out Cyborg. Nunes has the power to end this fight in the first couple rounds. I personally think Cyborg isn't the same agressive killer that she was a couple years back. She picks her spots now and doesn't look to finish unless it's on a silver platter. I think this actually works against her.

This is the best matchup in WMMA history and I can't fucking wait. This is from someone who usually skips past most WMMA fights. I'm more excited for this than Jones vs Gustaffson, by far.

Completely disagree,  her old style was sloppy and left too many openings.  Her new style is much more poised, and while it doesn't always look as impressive, I think she is a much better fighter now than she was 5+ years ago.

leifdawg -
RonaldRaygun -

I guess I'm alone in thinking Nunes has a really good chance here. I've thought for many years that Nunes was the only fighter who had a good chance of taking out Cyborg. Nunes has the power to end this fight in the first couple rounds. I personally think Cyborg isn't the same agressive killer that she was a couple years back. She picks her spots now and doesn't look to finish unless it's on a silver platter. I think this actually works against her.

This is the best matchup in WMMA history and I can't fucking wait. This is from someone who usually skips past most WMMA fights. I'm more excited for this than Jones vs Gustaffson, by far.

Completely disagree,  her old style was sloppy and left too many openings.  Her new style is much more poised, and while it doesn't always look as impressive, I think she is a much better fighter now than she was 5+ years ago.

With the bums she has been fighting at 145, her style really doesn't matter. She would have beaten them all with the old or new style. I think she would have finished more fights with her old style but whatever.

My point was more about how Cyborg's old style was actually the perfect formula to beat Nunes. Nunes doesn't do well under heavy pressure, at all. In fact, if Cyborg came with her old aggressive, pushing forward style I think Nunes would fold in short order. Doing the Jason Parillo choose your spots style with Nunes is giving her the space she needs to actually have a chance.

Trumpsstinkypinky - 

I honestly think that Nunes has a better chance than anyone else cyborg has fought or will fight in the ufc. I can see her getting cyborg hurt and jumping on a tko finish, or a submission off of a dazed cyborg. I don’t think she wins if it goes to the championship rounds and certainly not if it goes to the judges, cyborg simply is a machine that has one hell of a gas tank. Either way it will be a closer fight than most of you guys seem to believe 

Cyborg has the best chin in wmma though even when baars hurt her several times she took that shit like a champ.

I think shes going to run nunes over like everybody else but i’ll be watching.

Bojack Horseman -
Trumpsstinkypinky - 

Cyborg has the best chin in wmma though even when baars hurt her several times she took that shit like a champ.

I think shes going to run nunes over like everybody else but i’ll be watching.

Either way it is going to be one of the few wmma fights I am willing to pay for.