Does Rener play any sport BJJ?

Calhoon -

https://youtu.be/aWE9Ne9bxi0

Here is a video of the brothers rolling. You can see how an emphasis on energy and strikes is present. Of course he knows there will be no strikes so at times like when Renee postures in his guard early on in the roll Ryron doesn't go full on into vale tudo strike prevention mode but even then he still somewhat simulates a double wrist control closed guard. 

so they are basically Larping

Sgt. Slaphead -
blabbermouth -
Calhoon -

Here is a video of the brothers rolling. You can see how an emphasis on energy and strikes is present. Of course he knows there will be no strikes so at times like when Renee postures in his guard early on in the roll Ryron doesn't go full on into vale tudo strike prevention mode but even then he still somewhat simulates a double wrist control closed guard. 

3:20 is that legal to put your hand on the throat like that?

legal....who cares. It is a legit grip. 1 or 2 handed. How does this differ from amassa pao? Would you ask if amaa pao is legal? I have a series of things for VT that involves the throat/neck and is an extention of what i learned about using amassa pao...so when i learned VT, it was already familiar and trained.

to be fair, the modern Instagram nutthugging hippie BJJ crowd (I am partially guilty of being in) may not favor or think much of this technique, but Amassa Pao is still taught in any legit BJJ school, sport or self defense emphasis

mideastgrappler -
Calhoon -

sparring? 

blabbermouth -
Sgt. Slaphead -
blabbermouth -
Calhoon -

legal....who cares. It is a legit grip. 1 or 2 handed. How does this differ from amassa pao? Would you ask if amaa pao is legal? I have a series of things for VT that involves the throat/neck and is an extention of what i learned about using amassa pao...so when i learned VT, it was already familiar and trained.

It's funny  you mention this. I started using this as a guard break after watching Sperry's Vale Tudo videos and then started using the Amassa Pao version in the gi just for continuity. I stopped using it when I stopped doing MMA and switched to BJJ because I thought it was illegal. I'd still like it to be my primary pass, though.

I remember in another thread you talked about principles you can train while rolling in BJJ that are from Vale Tudo and you mentioned controlling the centre. Can you tell me more about that? I frequently read your posts and want to pick your brain because I like the way you think.

It would be a PiA to thimbtype out and people would bitch.

Bend The Knee -
Sgt. Slaphead -

i prefer to call it recreational bjj....pure grappling training, which obviously makes up the vast bulk of ones training.

And just to nit-pick, one can engage in recrestional grappling while still practicing more fighting oriented grappling techniques, positioning and movements during much of their training.

This is what Maia explained that he did. He would train with "sport" guys but always kept striking in mind. I really like that

It is awesome that Maia will go down in history as one of the greatest. He is a very cool guy. 

weaktendons -

The idea of self defence is rediculous, all your doing is building you confidence, theoretically you could be more effective throwing panicked hay makers in a self defence situation then using you blue belt level take down and mount.

Get fit, get good cardio and train martial arts to build your confidence and self awareness and then if you are an adult you should easily avoid fighting on the street for the rest if you life.

I do bjj because I like it, simple as that.

Yesssssss

HillboFrateTrane -
weaktendons -

The idea of self defence is rediculous, all your doing is building you confidence, theoretically you could be more effective throwing panicked hay makers in a self defence situation then using you blue belt level take down and mount.

Get fit, get good cardio and train martial arts to build your confidence and self awareness and then if you are an adult you should easily avoid fighting on the street for the rest if you life.

Yesssssss

If the Gracie challenge taught us anything it is that wild haymakers are way inferior to blue belts in Gracie jiu-jitsu. 

Calhoon -
mideastgrappler -
Calhoon -

sparring? 

LARP

Live Action Role Play. A LARPer is someone pretending to be something they're really not.

In the 70’s and 80’s LARPs were people dressing up like dungeons and dragons for Renaissance Fair. Since the dawn of YouTube and social media, LARPs are the new psyops. People LARP on YouTube as Truthers, Christians, Social Justice Warriors, and civilians.

mideastgrappler -
Calhoon -
mideastgrappler -
Calhoon -

sparring? 

LARP

Live Action Role Play. A LARPer is someone pretending to be something they're really not.

In the 70’s and 80’s LARPs were people dressing up like dungeons and dragons for Renaissance Fair. Since the dawn of YouTube and social media, LARPs are the new psyops. People LARP on YouTube as Truthers, Christians, Social Justice Warriors, and civilians.

Thats crazy!

No the Gracies are not larpers. If they havent proved that to you already then I have no hope to. They have a history of fighting and coaching great fighters even up to this day. 

1 Like
mata_leaos -
Bend The Knee - 

I know he's huge on MMA/Self Defense BJJ and I know he used to compete. But it seems like he went all in on the self defense. Does he still train sport at all? I could imagine doing self defense has to get boring. 

We all train sport BJJ to be honest. Unless you’re training with strikes allowed (some schools do allow this) then you’re training sport.

Rolling against other people that are doing BJJ is doing sport BJJ.

Now I guarantee Rener isn’t doing the latest worm guard sweeps or whatever. But neither are a lot of people.

When he rolls at his academy he rolls how 90% of us (and probably more to be honest) roll. We roll with and without the gi, and we go for sweeps, passes, back takes, submissions, and we don’t strike each other.

This.  The Bjj they teach is designed to be used for challenge matches, which is a sport.  Unless you are preparing for the possibility of multiple opponents who may be armed, you are doing a sport.

mideastgrappler -
Sgt. Slaphead -
blabbermouth -
Calhoon -

to be fair, the modern Instagram nutthugging hippie BJJ crowd (I am partially guilty of being in) may not favor or think much of this technique, but Amassa Pao is still taught in any legit BJJ school, sport or self defense emphasis

They can grab your thumb from over the top of your hand, bend it back and break it pretty easily. Safest to keep your hands like hooks. 

wombat -
mata_leaos -
Bend The Knee - 

I know he's huge on MMA/Self Defense BJJ and I know he used to compete. But it seems like he went all in on the self defense. Does he still train sport at all? I could imagine doing self defense has to get boring. 

We all train sport BJJ to be honest. Unless you’re training with strikes allowed (some schools do allow this) then you’re training sport.

Rolling against other people that are doing BJJ is doing sport BJJ.

Now I guarantee Rener isn’t doing the latest worm guard sweeps or whatever. But neither are a lot of people.

When he rolls at his academy he rolls how 90% of us (and probably more to be honest) roll. We roll with and without the gi, and we go for sweeps, passes, back takes, submissions, and we don’t strike each other.

This.  The Bjj they teach is designed to be used for challenge matches, which is a sport.  Unless you are preparing for the possibility of multiple opponents who may be armed, you are doing a sport.

Agree to disagree. 

HillboFrateTrane -
weaktendons -

Yesssssss

Disagree with this also