Don Frye & Dan Severn talk about who would've won if Royce Gracie had fought Tank Abbott in the UFC?

I definitely remember the ghost fall that he did diving for the leg & getting punched at the same time.

John Perretti used to call Ken Shamrock a mediocre leg locker, lol. I don’t know, I wouldn’t want to get kneebarred by him. lol

Lol I definitely wouldn’t want the one he had on Bas.

I’m not that flexible…

Ahh yes. the infamous block of Pancrase Eyes of Beast shows that somehow Fight Pass only managed to get footage from an overhead angle. In this case it was useful, but watching those shows from only an overhead perspective was awful. Thankfully, I added the proper laserdisc editions to our library.

2 Likes

I think the Kimbo fight was more of a loose work. In the clinch you could see Ken talking to Kimbo on what I assume was to be their next move. They do this in professional wrestling a lot. Then Ken had Kimbo flattened out with an RNC completely sunk in and somehow he couldn’t finish it.

according to kimo, he weighed 270 for that fight,

ya it was fixed

So by that logic if they fought again one or two more times then Ken should eadily adjust and beat Royce, right?:thinking:

1 Like

Mediocre ankle cranker who never won a tournament.

So many excuses for Royces wins. “Shamrock made a mistake” “kimo had a ponytail” “Severn was polite and didnt know what a triangle was” blah blah blah. Royce Gracie must have been the luckiest fighter ever to beat all those big guys and hall of fame members with luck and pro wrestling swerves.

Yet somehow Tank Abbott who lost to all same legends, had a losing career record of 10-15 and never considered a top fighter would destroy Royce with no question??? Stop and think about this for a moment. I KNOW your first instinct is to assume Tank would win. That was the whole basis of the UFC. This skinny little brazilian guy was strangling these guysbwho outweighed him by almost a hundred pounds. WE SAW THIS HAPPEN REPEATEDLY WITHOUT LOSING TO THESE GIANTS.

If you are dead set thinking Tank crushes Royce no problem them youre one of those marks who keeps biting when guys like Royce, Mayweather and Tom Brady keep winning against all odds. “I know i said he would lose before but THIS TIME he will. This is the guy who has his number and will beat him. He wont do xxxx like the last guy.” Fast forward, another win for the legend and mire excsuses on hiw he got lucky. :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

2 Likes

I think you’re misunderstanding the tone and intent of my posts. I think that Royce was a good fighter, I even think that he is underrated by most of today’s fans, and I also think that Tank Abott epitomized a lot of what is/was wrong with MMA culture in America. That still doesn’t change the fact that Abott was a bad matchup for Royce. I see it as either being something similar to when Abott fought Anjo and we would have sat through 20 mins of Royce being smashed up against a cage, or him getting knocked out early. Of course, this assumes both are fresh and this took place in that UFC VI to UU II time frame. If we’re talking about a larger tournament than who knows, there’s too many variables to consider.

Anyways, I don’t see that as a good matchup for Royce. That isn’t a slight against him, nor is it me having a lot of good things to say about Tank.

We jave different opinions because i think Tank is a great matchup for Royce. Big strong hard hitter who has no submission defense, no fear of Royce and cant imagine how a little guy like that can beat him until he gases out while pounding on him and gets choked out. Even afterwards he wouldnt be able to admit or understand what happened and believes he would win if they fought again. How many times did we see this??? These are the exact type of guys that Gracie jiu jitsu and BJJ grew their empire on.

Tank is the most overrated mma fighter ever. Notice you can only use the Anjo foght as how you see the fight going. Why couldnt it go like the Yoshida fight which would be a much better comparison complete with the gi? Or the Mir fight? Or Oleg? Hell, even the Kimo fight where Tamk got choked out by BJJ Kimo? When you look at all those submission losses and fights where he gassed snd compare them to one exmple youre using. Just based on the numbers its way more likely Tank gets subbed than KO’s Royce with punches while standing, which is something that NOBODY HAS EVER DONE TO ROYCE!

Think about these facts and examples that im giving and you’ll realize youre expecting a 10-15 brawling quitter who was a C level fighter ro do what many hall of fame fighters could never do. How ridiculous is that???

3 Likes

as Renzo Gracie once said after beating Oleg …the MOre I Train the Luckier I get

Disrespectful and unfounded post.

Tank was known as a guy with scary KO power, ferocity, defensive wrestling, and a limited gas tank. He lived up to this expectation in nearly every fight, at least until later in his career when he started facing later gen fighters and just cashing checks. If he was overrated, people would have expected more than that, which I don’t recall ever really seeing.

I never understood the “prime tank”? That’s like a prime hotdog at 7/11. There is never a time it was good. Sometimes it might be better than dog shitbut not that much

1 Like

Yeah those nasty KOs in his first few fights were insane. Especially the damage he did to that big Hawaiian guy.

Matua got Nelmarked before it happened to Nelmark.

I don’t think anyone is putting RG down. Most would describe him as one of the most game fighters ever, and a tough match up for anyone.

The only fight in which RG looked concerned was with Kimo, and he still pulled it out.

Oh noes! Im disrespecting a fighter becauae im no5 kissing his ass! Someone call the mods!

Tank was a below .500 fighter at 8-9 before this later generation of fighters. Then he went to .250. But he’s not overratee at all. Lol. He was cashing checks when he tapped out standing to a leg kick from Maurice Smith and Maurice Smith was ilder school than Tank.:laughing: