Don Frye & Dan Severn talk about who would've won if Royce Gracie had fought Tank Abbott in the UFC?

You guys are both right in a sense.

Tank is a tough fight for Royce on Tank’s best nights. Tanks did have good and bad outings, depending on his shape and desire.

Tank is kinda tailor made for Royce, but Tank isnt your average tough guy brawler. He destroyed everyone but the best. (Had a bad knee in Ferrozo fight)

Tank could put a hurtin on Royce for 15 minutes ala Oleg.

Game Royce is a warrior and will survive tho.

Royce wins but he gets hit and doesnt look good after the fight.

He beats Bas. Prob Tank too. The other 3 Royce loses a decision too under time limits/judges rules. In 1996.

1 Like

or shamrock

I think he thought you were saying he WOULD land the first two punches.

Tank has never knocked out anyone in their guard. Royce has never been knocked out by someone in his guard. This has NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE but you think its the most likely outcome.

You: I think Stipe is going to beat Jon Jones by flying triangle choke.

Me: Stipe has never done a triangle choke, flying or otherwise and Jon has never been submitted. Why would you think that?

You: Because its the most logical outcome.

Me::roll_eyes:

Interesting theory. Lets aee what happens when Tank is punching while in someone’s guard. He should ko the guy if he can land one or two punches though, right?

I dont understand how Oleg took all those punches and still won, but Royce would be KOed after one or two?:thinking:

you’re the only one stating that kimo was all american in wrestling.

The post got edited. But he obviously was/is a very good athlete who maybe if he had fully committed to wrestling would have been really good. But like most sports in college the reality sets in pretty quick and some people find how much of a shitty grind it is just to keep your spot in the room if you aren’t a starter.

Royce took some shots from Hackney & Severn.

His face after UFC 4:

gracie3 - Copy

He looks like his mouthpiece is still in his mouth

2 Likes

Royce vs. Hackney, but replace Hackney with Tank. I don’t think watching Gladiator (1992) the night before is going to help Royce with this one!

TBF, Duarte was considered to be a heavyweight-version of Rickson Gracie back in the day. So it actually was pretty impressive. He was basically expected to steam-roll Tank and be the next big thing in the UFC.

PRIME Tank could be the one that debuted and wrecked Matua and Varelans back to back before going into a looong war with ultra tough Oleg …or Ultimate Ultimate '96 Tank that came in on fire murdering Nelmark on live TV, raping Cal Worsham and almost throwing him into the crowd, only to bludegeon Don Frye badly on the feet before tripping into a rear naked that saved Frye’s life…or it could simply be the svelte 250lb Tank that came in and put Hugo Duarte in heels before pushing his shit in BIG TIME

1 Like

He ended up hiring a boxing coach and developed a ridiculously powerful jab by the time he fought in the UU2 (dropped both Frye and Nelmark with it), so I’d say he was better in the UU2 than in his debut.

Thats where I see Royce’s biggest trouble being, not the guard. Tank holding his GI and keeping him at bay a bit while unloading uppercuts and over hand rights.

So youre saying Tank’s win was impressive because Hugo had some hype to his name? Lol.

who has Hugo ever beat ? Harold Howard ? That said I thought he had some good talent if he kept fighting and may have beat Tank if he didnt go for the armbar And slightly fast stoppage