Don’t wanna get hit

Man, I am taking up boxing to get my fat but in shape, seems like I won’t really get the full benefit of boxing unless I at least spar. I did a little boxing/sparring over a decade ago when I was like 30years old, these teenagers were blacking my eyes and got my “bell rung,” almost got knocked out a time or two.

I have to be honest. I think I may be a little afraid :flushed: of getting hit :flushed::boxing_glove::boom::face_with_head_bandage:. I enjoy boxing workout so much though and believe I will benefit from sparring. Maybe if I just spar and keep getting hit maybe I will get desensitized to it? I’m no Floyd Mayweather Jr, I AM GOING TO GET HIT….A LOT :joy:.

I got hit in fights growing up as a kid and I never liked it then either but I was so focused on kicking the butt if the person who started the fight I didn’t care.

8 Likes

Your coach should be able to take into account your age and skill level and set up some controlled sparring situations that aren’t full sparring. Maybe it is a jab only session or maybe he just breaks and gives instruction if you are getting hit or maybe a shortened round. If he won’t do that for you, just stick to the bags and shadow boxing. You aren’t trying to become a pro fighter at this point.

15 Likes

Hi GeeGee

4 Likes

Big ol pussy

6 Likes

Cardio kickboxing with the soccer moms dude

11 Likes

Yeah I reckon so :cowboy_hat_face::rofl:

Yeah you are right, I am definitely not looking to turn pro!

Thank you. I think your advice is very good.

2 Likes

If you’re only doing it to get in shape you dont need to be sparring like that anyway. If you do it keep it light and limit the headshots.

7 Likes

And don’t let a coach or other boxers abuse you. You can always say no .

8 Likes

Fuck this guy, viejo

If you’re not liking the sparring rounds, talk to your coach and express your concerns. If he has any worth, he will come up with something for you. If you’re in it strictly for cardio and weight loss, never stop jumping rope and shadow boxing. Get your head movement drills down to where you can do it blind folded(be patient) and it will become a lot harder to hit you. Those little young assholes will try to take advantage of who appears to be low hanging fruit. Your coach should be able to put you with those more your level while you get your defense up to par. If he can’t accommodate you or come up with a better plan than you getting black eyes every practice then you may need to find a better gym. It’s the hurt game and bumps and bruises come with it but it should be about equal on the give and take. Or at least close as possible.

Bas had a thing where he put your back to the wall and had another guy throw shots at you and you dodge it. Not hard or trying to kill you punches but fast enough to get you reaction speed up.

May I ask how long you been training?

Fuck EVERYBODY that makes fun of you. 9/10 it’s people that have no idea how to fight and what it takes to learn. Just keep showing up to practice and you’ll progress. It’s 90% mental and 10% physical. Know that you are getting better even if it’s unnoticeable to you, it is happening. Just keep showing up. Before you know it, you’ll be the one everybody avoids. The more you spar, the more you’ll see different looks and before long, there won’t be much anybody can do that you haven’t seen before. But it takes time and it’s no shame in not being there yet. This is your journey on your time. You’re not trying to “go pro”. You have no need to rush. Enjoy your practices. Embrace the pain of the grind. 100 sit ups, 100 push ups a day at home. And jump that rope. You’ll get where you’re headed. I hope this helps and I believe in you homie. If I can ever do anything to help or if you wanna talk where you don’t get flamed by the homos on here, PM me anytime. My names Wade.

Holla at ya boy

the office fist bump GIF

21 Likes

You ever think of taking up a crochet :yarn: class? I’m sure it’s good hand cardio, and I think you’ll fit in there much better.

4 Likes

You guys are ruthless

2 Likes

Pd4boxing from here used to have us do that Bas drill and it is Helpful. Find people in the gym you trust and let them know are new to sparring then most importantly don’t throw like crazy yourself. My rule is that I will always go as hard as you do. Don’t be a jerk and I won’t be one back.

5 Likes

Some people would rather bite down on a burger than a mouthpiece. Training boxing for 6 hours a week will get him in shape. He don’t have to spar. If he does, maybe they will let him spar the girls.

1 Like

I spar with people and have no problem throwing slow and focus on technique. Problem newbies start throwing hard and expect you to just take it. It is especially hard when tall guys start popping the jab fast, I’m not fast or good enough to slip this shots and end up crashing in with looping shots to the body or overhand rights

7 Likes

I was with you at first but then

GIF by rhythmandflow

4 Likes

Bernie Sanders Punch GIF by MOODMAN

7 Likes

Never had a job or a fight in his life

8 Likes

Yea they don’t understand. I say throw as hard as you want to be hit. But sometimes you gotta down a mofo for getting ahead of themselves.

with tears of anger
THIS IS PRACTICE YOU MOTHER FUCKER!!

Then I had to take a couple days off.

2 Likes