EBI 11 Combat Jiu-Jitsu

I thought the new style of grappling with open hand striking was fun to watch. Can't wait for the next one. I would like to see how top grapplers like Garry Tonon and Gordon Ryan's game hold up once there's a chance of getting slapped in the face. 

I hated it. 

Open hand strikes? Come on

Lame. MMA for people to scared to learn stand up or take downs

absolutely terrible

Not a fan.

I like the idea. Suprised to see others dont agree. It could be something for those who don't want to compete in MMA but make want something a bit more than vanilla grappling. Others may see it as a way to get their feet wet before jumping into MMA. I don't see any negatives about it.

FrancisDingo'dMyHonesty -

That's what I said before I watched it, I think it really cut out stalling though

FrancisDingo'dMyHonesty -

More like grappling for people who are in mma. The guy who won has over 20 pro fights

Also, it's the commission that made it open hand strikes .. they didn't sanction punches

There is no need for the bitch slap, all we need to do is change the rules. We can keep sport BJJ for those who love it, but if we want to create a grappling art more inline with self defense, here are some recommendations:

First, give 3 points for a takedown, penalize one point for pulling guard/butt scooting.

Second, give points for knee on belly.

Third, give more points for taking the back.

Just saw the video, horrible.

Guy literally wiped every inch of the mat with his butt.

SeanReed - There is no need for the bitch slap, all we need to do is change the rules. We can keep sport BJJ for those who love it, but if we want to create a grappling art more inline with self defense, here are some recommendations:

First, give 3 points for a takedown, penalize one point for pulling guard/butt scooting.

You just described a point system. There is no need for points, EBI is sub only with in ten minutes. I believe Eddie is trying to make bjj to mma transition easier while trying to make it more exciting as well. Plus i think palm strikes are awesome and should be used more in mma, to me its a smarter way to hit without breaking your hand. Like Bas said while GnPing u have more space to hit with the palm strike than the fist which should generate more power. All in all i think EBI is doing an awesome job for bjj and hopefully for mma.

I like that the palm strikes essentially eliminate stalling, which makes for a much higher-paced match

I didn't know how to picture it before I saw it. I liked it a lot. Who cares that they're open hand strikes? It still has an effect and now there are no gloves in the way.

To me, it looked like the strikes absolutely changed the complexion of the match. Guard was much different... being beneath worse positions (side control, etc) was much different.

I think it has its place in the future.

Palm strikes are what I call bad habits. If your goal is to have something more closely related to self defense, than palm strikes are a terrible idea. While you are training your palm strikes, I am training boxing. Who do you think will win?

You are goin to fight the way you train. I used to use palm strikes when I trained Kyokushin Karate. But for every our of KK I would spend 10 hours boxing.

Try and use palm strikes in a real fight then prepared to be knocked out.

I liked it, but I think it's so close to mma, the casual fan would say, "Why not just do MMA?" It's new, so some evolution will come. Keep it going Eddie!

Pummeled by Silva - I didn't know how to picture it before I saw it. I liked it a lot. Who cares that they're open hand strikes? It still has an effect and now there are no gloves in the way.

To me, it looked like the strikes absolutely changed the complexion of the match. Guard was much different... being beneath worse positions (side control, etc) was much different.

I think it has its place in the future.

Yes, they do. IMO palm strikes are a good way for a new fighter to prepare for the closed fist striking in MMA.

However, they are only a transition point, not something to be developed more fully. Your focus should be on boxing for the hands.

Megallica -
SeanReed - There is no need for the bitch slap, all we need to do is change the rules. We can keep sport BJJ for those who love it, but if we want to create a grappling art more inline with self defense, here are some recommendations:

You just described a point system. There is no need for points, EBI is sub only with in ten minutes. I believe Eddie is trying to make bjj to mma transition easier while trying to make it more exciting as well. Plus i think palm strikes are awesome and should be used more in mma, to me its a smarter way to hit without breaking your hand. Like Bas said while GnPing u have more space to hit with the palm strike than the fist which should generate more power. All in all i think EBI is doing an awesome job for bjj and hopefully for mma.

Eddie also advocates pulling guard.

ask bas about palm strikes. hitting with the "heel bone" part of the hand....

I'd rather watch combat sambo.