Edwards says no to Covington fight

Leon: Colby doesn’t deserve a title shot!!

Fans: Yeah!

Leon: Jorge Masvidal deserves a title shot!!

Fans: Yeah… wait… what?

1 Like

He kept saying Colby sat out without being injured. But wasn’t it claimed, by multiple sources, that colby WAS injured in the sucker punch attack?

I like Leon, but he comes off as afraid of Colby (whether it’s true or not) taking his title and wanting a much easier fight, when he says he’ll fight Masvidal instead. If he thinks Colby doesn’t deserve it, how can he possibly claim Jorge would? Maybe the Pena 1-fight win streak title shot set a precedent that Leon likes? Then he should just “transition” to WMMA where that happens. That said, I don’t think we need to worry about Jorge beating Gilbert.

3 Likes

And for that, Leon is the Champ. Nobody is arguing Colby deserves something more than Leon. The argument is that Colby deserves the shot more than other contenders. For me, Dariush is the only one with a legit arument otherwise.

2 Likes

Probably his excuse was having won 10-11 straight. Unlike Colby who has a 50/50 record over the last 3 years

2 Likes

That’s a very misleading statistic.

Colby has lost to one guy since 2015. Kamaru Usman.

Leon Edwards has lost to one guy since 2015. Kamaru Usman.

Colby is very clearly one of the top 2-3 contenders. Anyone who says otherwise is being dishonest with themselves (likely because they hate Colby).

7 Likes

To be fair, this Masvidal business is true too. Esp if he loses to Burns which he will.

Enough with the Shenanigans. This guy doesn’t want to fight his friend for belt, the other guy doesn’t want to fight because doesn’t feel deserving, etc. UFC should get its shit together, stop begging its fighters to fight good fights, or become the NBA in which employees have more power than the employer and the product accordingly sucks.

1 Like

Indeed. If a little kid came to Edwards and slapped him during an interview, he’s deserving a of title shot!? While the person who beat the kid (i.e. Colby) does not!?

1 Like

I disagree.

If it were anyone but Leon…

We aren’t asking about who had the longest streak, we’re talking about Leon saying he won’t defend against a guy who “sits and waits for a title”.

Here is when Leon decided he should sit and wait for a title. Until he was forced to fight. And then he sat again, waiting…win streak aside that’s highly hypocritical.

And then there is the UFC’s own WW rankings. Yeah I get that rankings are shit but this is what they are and if you want this based on sports then why the fuck is Leon calling out the fucking #11 guy? If it’s not Usman again and it’s not Colby and it shouldn’t be the guy who doesn’t give a fuck about what a weight class is then there a long list still before Phoney Montana.

Why is this hypocrisy ok to Leon? Oh wait, because he sees Phoney as an easy fight that might get him some sales for some nonsense years ago.

1 Like

I think Leon’s just stalling until Masvidal/Burns sorts out. Sure, if Mas beats Burns that’s the fight Leon would want as it has a story and is the “easiest” fight that’s most likely to notch Leon another title defense . . . but I don’t think anyone really expects Mas to beat Burns.

So presuming Burns does indeed take out Mas, then Colby is probably Leon’s next “safest” fight–Colby’s getting older, has been out of the cage for awhile, and Leon has the speed advantage similar to what he had with Usman. There’s no easy fight to be had at the top of the division but Colby is arguably a safer choice for Leon than Burns, Belal, Shavkat, or Khamzat.

1 Like

tyron woodley eyebrow raise GIF

I’m not some Colby defender but he is the top ranked WW outside Usman.

You don’t say no to that as champion and demand the 11th ranked guy.

Sorry.

2 Likes

There is no argument. Belal is on an 8 fight win streak with 2 top 5 wins. Colby is on a one fight win streak against an 0-2 fighter and hasn’t fought in a year. The last time he beat anyone either in the top 5 or on a win streak was 5 years ago.

Who has he beaten? The guy fights once a year and ducks anyone who isn’t on a 2 fight losing streak.

Not sure about Bella hes boring as shit and will just hump legs and the ufc knows it. Let’s get a winner between Colby and Bella. Whoever wins gets it. If Leon comes in as in shape and as sharp as he did against Marty then it doesn’t matter…headshot, dead.

2 Likes

His fighting career is as scripted as his act.

1 Like

He has beaten (dominated) RDA, Maia, Masvidal, and Woodley.

You know, the exact same guys Kamaru Usman beat in the same timeframe. I guess Usman sucks, too, since he fought the exact same opponents (with the exception of Leon, who Colby will fight and beat next).

But, you make a fair point, those fighters hardly compare to Leon’s amazing win streak. He picked up wins over top contenders like Peter Sobotta, Albert Tumenov, Dominic Waters, Old Cerrone, and Nate Diaz. And layoffs? Leon would never have a layoff. Except from 2019-2022 when Leon had one win in over three years.

But otherwise, yeah, fuck Colby. What a loser. Leon definitely isn’t ducking him.

4 Likes

He fought RDA and Maia 5 years ago.

Woodley was on a two fight losing streak and completely shot, getting cut and losing to Jake Paul not long after.

Masvidal was also on a two fight losing streak and coming off a KO loss.

What on earth has Colby done to suggest he deserves a third title shot? He only has one win over anyone in the entire top 15. It’s hilarious how little he’s accomplished in the past 5 years.

mortal kombat fatality GIF

Which would be relevant if Edwards were arguing that Colby doesn’t deserve a shot because he isn’t on a winning streak; but, since it’s inactivity that he’s arguing, it reeks of hypocrisy.