Eilers' killer found guilty

you can question a cop over a fighter if you want.

but why was a gun necessary at all?

i liked eilers

HI KKM -  i'd trust a retired cop over a mma fighter

Yoy want to explain this!! Some of the most stand up, honest guys I've ever met were fighters. I like to think people are people. So if you're saying what it sounds like your saying-- EAT SHIT!!

ttt for justice.

HI KKM -  i'd trust a retired cop over a mma fighter

Must not know a lot of cops. I of course have no personal knowledge about the case but Malec sure comes across as a coward.

WhatIsMMA beat me to it. promoter is not some random fan that doesn't know the details of the case and is just putting in his 2 cents.

Good to see he'll go to jail for at least 20 years, guess he caught a break that it was only 2nd degree murder though.

Also lol at always trusting the cop, like there hasn't been corruption before in a police department.

WhatIsMMA - 
HARDCASTLE - 
promoter - Meaning what?

meaning your post is the kind of overly emotional garbage one would expect in a sport where the majority of fans idolize white trash.

Do you have the slightest fucking idea who you are talking to?

perhaps he can tell us how he can see so clearly into Malec's mind.

I hope this offers some closure to those involved

Hardcastle -- that's Monte Cox.

Excuse my newbishness but who is promoter?

Thanks Pitt

PittWrestler - Hardcastle -- that's Monte Cox.

so, does that mean his post was intelligent? Can he back up his comments about Malec's motives?

i dont judge people by their occupations.

Monte must be a Bronco fan?

Only on the UG would someone shit-talk Monte Cox and call his murdered friend white trash.

promoter - This is a case of a loud-mouth stepfather who hated his step son and found an almost perfect opportunity to get rid of him... and it almost worked.

Who wears a concealed, loaded gun at a family Christmas party in his own home? Once the argument's started, he went and put on his gun, then tried to provoke Justin by yelling at him while he and his ex-girlfriend were fighting.

If he could piss Justin off enough, maybe he would come at him and he could get away with shooting him... but although Justin mouthed off back to him, his own wife said Justin was backing up toward the door when the guy shot him.

A trained officer with 10 years experience of dealing with problems just lost it? Doubtful... he saw his chance headed to the door and he shot him. A trained marksman... shot to kill, hitting him in the chest. Not the leg or shoulder... he shot to kill him.

This is the end of a lengthy feud between the two... and Malec had told others over the years that he'd shoot Justin if he got out of hand.

I hope he gets what he deserves.
VTFU.

I can not fathom how some of you can defend this POS's actions that night. 

HARDCASTLE - 
PittWrestler - Hardcastle -- that's Monte Cox.

so, does that mean his post was intelligent? Can he back up his comments about Malec's motives?

i dont judge people by their occupations.

No you just judge by calling them white trash

he can back up his comments because he knew both men involved.

Who are you again in all this? Thats right nobody

the only one with an ignorant post here was you, i would just stfu and move along

hc,

You are a moron, you know nothing about what went on while Monte knew about this situation for years. It had been brewing for a long time. You know nothing, nothing but what you have read yet are going to question someone who actually knew Justin and the stepfather, and was at a large portion of the trail. Did you attend the trail, would you know the killers name had it not been posted here? You just saw something that you did like so you thought you'd pop off. Would you be emotional if a very good friend of yours was killed and you honestly thought it was unjust?

You are not an intelligent person.

This is a huge win for the killer.  His guilt was never in question.  He didnt get found guilty of murder 2, but of voluntary manslaughter.  He might, might do three years.  At best.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/newsupdates/story/887926.html

Thursday night's verdict for James Malec was lighter than the second-degree murder conviction sought by prosecutors, but stiffer than the defense's goal of acquittal based on self-defense.

Gwen Moore, Malec's wife and the mother of shooting victim Justin Eilers, said she believes justice was served, but she hadn't been hoping for either of the possible convictions.

"I didn't want to make that determination as a wife and a mother," Moore said before weeping in her sister's arms. "Everyone asked me what justice I wanted. I want my son back, that's what I want. And I'm not going to get that."

Malec's family members declined to comment after the verdict.

The jury deliberated for about eight hours before choosing the option of voluntary manslaughter, which is punishable by a fine of up to $15,000 and/or up to 15 years in prison. The maximum sentence for second-degree murder is life in prison.

Malec is expected to be sentenced in October, but a date has not been set.

Prosecutors told the jury that Malec's choice to shoot and kill Eilers was deliberate, unnecessary and unlawful.

The defense argued that Malec properly used his former police training to stop a deadly threat last Christmas when he shot and killed his wife's son, a professional martial arts fighter.

Defense attorney Gordon Petrie made a dramatic presentation to jurors, periodically shouting at full voice to simulate Eilers' behavior that night. He reminded jurors of Malec's account - that Eilers loudly threatened to kill Malec and moved toward him before Malec, convinced the angry athlete would kill him, shot Eilers once in the chest.

"Never lose sight of the fact that Justin tried to make a living by pummeling people into submission," Petrie said.

Deputy Canyon County Prosecutor Scott James said Eilers was unarmed and backing away from Malec when Malec shot him,

"Justin Eilers was acting like a jerk, there's no question," James said. "He was ruining Christmas. He was disrespecting the defendant in his own home.

"But he didn't deserve to die."

James noted that Malec's version of events differs widely from the accounts of others who were at the gathering that night, especially Moore.

By some accounts, Moore was standing between the two men and turned to the side just before her husband shot her 30-year-old son. She apparently did not hear Eilers threaten to kill Malec, and she testified that Eilers was backing away from Malec just before the shot rang out.

Kristin Rodine: 377-6447