enshin karate kyokushin karate

What is the big agruement about, there are people out there who are geniune interested in getting more info.

Is silly to argue over trival.

So everyone lets keep on posting about Enshin/Ashihara, etc

Zeerebel,

"Is silly to argue over trival."

I agree. This is why I am not going to even waste my time reading and responding to post that cause nothing but division, particularly from someone who just wants to argue and is hypocritical.

I would rather just post about my experiences with Ninomiya and the Enshin/Ashihara styles.

I have a question for you. You say your instructor was a student of Ashihara. what is your style like? I am very curious to know.

Hi M.G.
As posted before, my training right now doesn't have the dept that I am looking for. The branch chief that I train with has only about 8 years of Sayokan Turkish Martial Art training. (he received most of these when he visit Turkey months at a time.

The final thing is that I wanted to train in a style like Ashihara or more specifically Enshin for the longest time. So one day a school open up 3 stores down from the Tae Kwon Do school I was renting from to teach MMA.

I drop by one days started talking to the guy. He lend me a video and a book about this style. I went home and watch it and recognize right away that it was a form of ashihara.

I brought in my "Sabaki Method" for Nimo, and started talking to him about Sabaki, he didn't now who Nimo was.

The funny things was he showed me some more books, I flipped throught it, and I saw pictures of Ashihara training with the founder of Sayokan. I also saw pictures of Nimo, etc.
I explain to him the relations and Ashihara. The funny thing was that I knew more about the development of Ashihara, more than he did.

Anyways started training with him, intensely.
He is an older gentleman around 45 years when he 1st took up Martial arts, so there is a lot of things he doesn't know. He train Sayokan mostly in Kata forms. some of the take downs and throw I found it inefficient, I showed him different varaition on the throw that I thought might be more effective becuase of my judo training.

He is very open for input, and since January, I have been renting his school to teach MMA, so this time around when he goes back to Turkey, he will delve into it some more.

That is why I am dying to get my hands on some tape or intense weekend training

Zeerebel,

I went to the website you listed in one of your earlier post. I didn't see much on that site in terms of what type of technique they do etc. So I don't know what exactly that particular style looks like.

One thing about Enshin and even Ashihara is there is alot of partner drills and sparring.

When I was training we didn't practice kata much until it was near promotion testing time, which was about every 4 months. The majority of our time was spend doing partner drills, where we would practice the techniques on each other and sparring. This was in the "regular" class.

In the fighter class, which was early in the mornings on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, the training was more intense. We did a morning run (about 1 mile long), then we would do 4 rounds of 3 minutes of punches only on the heavy bag. There was 1 minute rest between rounds. After completing the first set of rounds we would rest for 3 minutes and then do another set of 4 rounds of 3 minutes. This time we would do punch-kick variations. Again we would rest 1 minute between rounds. Incidently during those 1 minute rests we had the option of doing some light activity like shadow boxing, jump rope, push ups or situps. After the second set of rounds we would do body toughening. After body toughening we would end class. Some of us stayed to lift weights.

This "advance" class (as it was called) was open to green belts and above. The live-in students had to attend regardless of their rank. The fighters (those who wanted to compete in the Sabaki tournament) were strongly encourage to attend.

On wednesday Ninomiya (who were at first called "Shihan" but later called "Kancho") would add "Sumo" to our training regiment. Each person had to compete "Sumo" style against 10 consecutive opponents (note: not at the same time but one after the other). On Fridays we would do extra bag work.

About 4 weeks before the tournament Ninomiya would add another day of advance training usually on Sunday mornings. This day was really intense. We would do the same things we did on other "advance training" days plus sumo. BUT he would add Sabaki drills and rounds of intense sparring. We would also do alot of running before training. We would run the 1 mile together as a group (during the week we would usually run the 1 mile by ourselves individually) and then we would do 4 block long (about 100 yards) wind sprints.

The techniques and tactic we learned and knew were obviously good BUT I personally think it was the training we went through that made us good fighters. I spend most of my training time at Ninomiya's school doing the "advance or fighters" training. I would only go to the regular class only a few times a week. I think the advance/fighters training gave alot of us a big advantage over those who just did the regular classes.

Incidently the live-in students had to the regular classes and the advance/fighters class. This one of the reason many of them advanced so quickly.

I think things have changed alot in terms of training. It may not be as intense and it maybe more individualistic nowadays. I think this because Ninomiya has a family and is much older than when I was training with him.

m.g. wrote-"I thought your name was familiar......
What styles or martial arts do you do now? If I remember correctly you're into Bjj now, right?
Some of the guys that use to be instructors for Ninomiya have either started their own style..."

A.B. writes-

...I have practiced 'some' bjj but I'm far from being a bjj guy. Re starting a new style, I am doing my own thing but I would never claim to have invented a new style.
I did write a couple of books... the first titled "Steady Training" is a martial arts memoir, basically the story of going from an old-fashion traditional system to modern training. (it has a chapter discussiing KK/Ashihara/Enshin and full-contact event.)

Interesting news about Kishi and the others.

hi M.G.
We do a lot of partner training. But unfortunely most of the students come from a TMA background so everything look stiff.