Escape a fully locked Side Mount Position with ease

Interesting video. Craig Jones isn´t showing an escape here but basically does the same move to avoid the arm triangle. He is turning to his side. Actually when you watch this video he explains that you can´t finish the arm triangle because your opponent turns to the side to escape.

What does he know about Jujitsu? :joy:

1 Like

Not saying I know more than Craig Jones lol but I routinely finish arm triangles with guys on their side. In fact it’s much easier because I bring my chest on top and drive them into the mat generating at least twice the pressure that I can generate by just squeezing with them flat on their back. I do it almost every time someone tries to shrimp when I’m in mount. His move assumes the guy applying the choke won’t move with you and ride up as you turn. Oh well, do whatever you think works. Go train with guys that wrestled at a high level prior to jiu jitsu and I think you’ll find being on bottom is a very different experience.

5 Likes

Any decent shoulder pressure and you’re not turning that way

You’re giving them a seatbelt and path to take your back

Locking up the head arm and knee slicing to the other side will put you back flat on your back for the head arm finish

If you stay on your side the Ezekiel is there

Personally I would pull my arm out and Turk the fuck out of you

3 Likes

Who are you escaping with this?
You would not be able to escape a fully locked side control with this

4 Likes

I texted this vid to my partners before we met for morning training.

Lets just say they were not impressed…for fun I tapped 2 of them from pinning chest to chest. So no, that is ot a fully locked in pin. It’s not even a proper pin

2 Likes

Yeah I was going to say this. I get arm triangles from a modified mount position all the time. I usually go for the gift wrap and then slip my hand through, shallow so my wrist is inline with their neck , grab my other up bicep and put my chest on their tricep. Makes people tap and they’re on their side . I am a lowly blue belt though so there’s every chance this shouldnt work on black belts.

1 Like

Re- CraigJones video…
How does he explain getting from
1.flat on his back? Far shoulder and far arm control
2. To on his shoulder? Chair sit to harness
3. To turtled and escaped? Harness and hooks

That is numerous points where top(uke) has to make major mistakes in his control.

2 Likes

Guys, I really take your comments serious. So I went to the Gym yesterday and looked again at this position. I will make another video about it. But from everything I have experienced, I say from this position I have no other move that is so powerful. Everything can fail. But the power you can generate with this side wards movement and good shoulder posture is pretty strong.

Anyway, I will do another video about the details soon.

5 Likes

Made a new video today. All I can say is great escape, I used it today from half guard. Wasn’t planned but worked well…

I suppose it depends on top guy stubbornly maintaining a cross face/underhook, which is definitely possible. It just seems like when you extend that arm out, it will prompt movement from them. Seems like people are pointing out the arm triangle, but with the knees together like that I’d be more worried they would just hope over the legs and my back would be exposed

i didnt watch the whole vid…still not a fully locked pin. And it certainly is not the way I would lock in a chest to chest pin. I know guys that have better pins than me and I have had to fight out if them, or at least try.

If top side guy is worth his salt he 100% will be using his bottom arm for darce, head/arm choke, armbar, or anything involving your blundered elbow.

It’s risky whenever you don’t keep your elbows tucked in when you’re attempting to escape, whether reversal or guard pull.

I know escapes exist when you put out “mouse traps,” but damn bro if you try that against a top heavy dude you’re all kinds of fucked.

2 Likes

Do you guys use that hugging style hand position in side control often? Like the uke has.

I do not.

How do you even pin a guy properly like that?

I’ll play around with it.

1 Like

I do it sparingly, mostly in transition. Sometimes it’s perfect for setting up subs (after already establsihing side control.) I also do it occasionally before i transition to kesa.

And I agree, it’s not positionally sustainable. It’s hard to maintain crushing pressure if that’s all you do for side.

Personally, I am not a big fan of this kind of pin. But I feel a lot of people using it, especially if they are physical strong.

as ze mario says, maybe it works…on my grandmother

7 Likes

Serious question man - are you training with anyone better than you or just teaching/rolling with your own students? Neil Melanson made an excellent point in one of his instructionals where basically he said people in that position get a false sense of how effective their jiujitsu is and end up training all kinds of bad habits that will come out when you come up against someone good

4 Likes

it has nothing ro do with being strong…it is a fundamental pin all jusoka and bjjers need. That particular grip and posture are basic,but not the best variation. Even so, the top guy isnt even doing it properly.

3 Likes

I like the fact that you are putting your ideas out there for people to analyze. I am going to play with it, see what I come up with.