Escape a fully locked Side Mount Position with ease

This.

Hey OP, get a bb from another school to assist with the videos…perhaps he’ll be like, “yeah maybe let’s roll a little first, bro.”

You’re not improving if you’re not tapping out on the reg.

3 Likes

Exactly the move I was doing from Half Guard a few days ago. Basically what I am showing in the video turning into the pillow choke to escape from. He is doing it from Half Guard but you can do it also from side mount:

1 Like

I’m not one to say if something’s right or wrong as I’ve had differing opinions on some things with elite guys. However, I think this is one of those moves that I wouldn’t intentionally go to, but hey if you’re already there… Other than that I think it’s a move that it might work sometimes while it’s going to fail you too many times… bad success ratio.

There’s a significant difference in doing this in 1/2 guard and side ctrl.
If top 1/2 it’s much more difficult to get the angle on an arm triangle and the leverage needed.
In bottom side control, that arm should be getting dominated. When your elbow is getting driven about your shoulder, you have no escape let alone strength. Of course the buggy choke is the new sexy move and it’s attempting to put that arm in bad position too. Nobody would be getting buggy choked of the top guy dominated that elbow.

As far as the arm triangle goes, this is also why, switch to the opposite side by using my left leg in across my opponent’s hips and my right leg takes a big step over as I learned from a Cesar Gracie DVD 1000 years ago, rather than stepping into mount and then stepping to the other side.

Regarding the escapes… I was just talking to a couple of training partners after watching a bunch of tainan dalpra matches and not one of his opponents attempted an escape where you face away from your opponent. Every one of them is busy trying to fight or overcome the crossface. It got to the point where I have it on my list to make an analysis video of his matches. (I also had a few things that I think tainan could’ve done a lot better as well!!! That’s right. Maybe the best guy in the gi right now?
So nobody should take offense if I disagree about a technique but I do have well thought out reasons for my views.

fyi…
usually my initial escape when facing away from my opponent which has very high success and is easy to breathe in. It sets up runaway escape as well as others but has very high success ratio. I feel totally safe:

Tainan failed to finish Muraski with a canto strangle bc he did it a traditional way. Muraski was flat on his back and tainan’s head direction was towards muraski’s legs rather than this:

oh how about that…you find that cesar grace dvd on ebay :slight_smile:

1 Like

Your first video reminded me of the running man position, but you made the point to keep your hips tilted back, not facing down. Do you also that other version (like Priit Mikelson talks about), or don’t like it for some reason?

Great observation!
I specifically wrote “initial escape” for this reason.
I didn’t talk about that in the previous post, bc it was long enough :slight_smile:

If my opponent gets frustrated and tries to pull his arm away, his body tends to pull away too. At that point, he his handing you the run away escape which I generally teach as a complimentary escape to this one.

I made this vid of the runaway over 10 years ago and specifically talk about that as well as my generally strategy on hand/arm positioning

2 Likes