Ever faced a BJJ guy in a Judo tou

Anyone ever faced a BJJ guy in a Judo tournament? What were your experiances? I do BJJ and I was thinking of entering a Judo tournament to see what it is like, opinions?

ive faced 2.
1 was a complete waste of my time. the guy had no idea of the rules and had no idea what to do on his feet besides shoot in really shitty single and double legs which didnt do a damn thing.

i have no idea how the guy got a rank high enough that allowed him to fight in the same division as i did, but he shouldnt have been there by any means. i didnt want to hurt him, or take a chance at hurting myself by slamming him, so i just waited until he got himself penalized out of the match. fighitng a guy like that isnt worth me putting forward a lot of energy to do anything when he will just self-destruct.

flat out, dont go into an event that you arent familiar with, with rules you dont know, with techniques you dont know that can end up snapping your neck or royally screwing you up for life. its just fuckin stupid. i wouldnt enter a bjj tournament unless i had trained in it and been told it was safe for me. you shouldnt enter a judo tournament unless you have done the same.

-resnick

ps. the second guy was a blue or purple belt in bjj or something and a brown belt in judo. it was at the midwest championships a few years ago. cant speak for his newaza cause i threw him. he lost the next round to another brown belt.

What type of opinions are you looking for (is it a good idea, strategy, how did people act towards/treat the BJJ guys, etc)? I have faced several in my limited tournament experience.

Pete Pelter

Well, I've been training BJJ for about seven months so I would obviously enter the beginer division. Just wondering what kind of things I should expect, I have some experience with throws and what not. Maybe someone could give me a little bit of strategy. My goal would be to take the fight to the ground and then do my thing from there. Although I think I could survive on my feet with a beginer Judoka.

all the same, and dont hink im being mean or rude, cuase im only being honest.

you could end-up playing poeple who are beginners in judo who know 1000x more than you do. you might fight guys who only have a few weeks or months experience, but you could just as well end-up fighting guys who are far from that and have a decent background under their belts.

its just a stupid idea honestly. you dont KNOW judo, you dont TRAIN judo, you havent the understanding of the rules or even a coach who is capable of giving you guidance.

i mean, thats like me saying "i played soccer. so, let me into that football game over there. afterall, we both wear cleats"

not to mention, you have to join a national body for insurance purposes before you are ever allowed to compete. it would cost you an additional $50 to join that on top of the tournament fees.

its just a stupid idea for you honestly. stick with what you do know, if you want to compete in judo then train in it too. its just a matter of respect, dont go out there with the kinda attitude you are showing now. the others wouldnt do that to you, why do it to them?

-resnick

work fast if you're going to play the ground game in judo. It's REAL tough to pull off, because you'll have to have them in a good top position with them on their back right off the get go, or in a submission or something(locked, not working for it, but locked) for them to usually let you keep working. Expect people to turn over to their stomachs to avoid the pin most of the time and wait for the standup(since they don't consider the backmount to be a pin of any kind, you won't have long to work from there unless you sink something fast). Basically you have to play the game a little like you have to play the game in bjj rules sometimes(I hate doing that in either sport, but nothing to do about it) It's actually harder to finish than you'd think from backmount in judo, since there is limited time and you're not allowed to "touch" the face. So where usually I'd take my forearm across their nose hard to loosen them up to sink the choke, you can't do that in judo, so the rear naked is harder to get. Be prepared to go for rolling armbars, rolling triangles, or turn overs instead, because a lot of the time, you'll just waste your energy going for the rear naked.

oh, and work on your throws/breakfalls. I've been doing jiu-jitsu for 5 years, and I "thought" I could break fall decently for the first couple of years.. I couldn't. Last year I started training judo as well, and since they actually put a small portion of every class into practicing it, and even more so when you're actually getting thrown on a normal basis, I learned to breakfall from that. A lot more injuries come from throws than submissions, unless you're just being an ass and refuse to tap out when it's obvious you're done.

I cant speak from a BJJ perspective, but I am a wrestler who went into a moderately tough judo tournament, with hardly any judo experience. I didnt even have my belt tied right! lol. But, for the most part I whooped ass, first match, ipponed the guy in like 12 seconds. You just have to learn to use what you do best, and adapt it to judo. Since you have a BJJ background, just try not to get thrown, and get the match to the mat, if you can. And, work quick for the submission. And, even if it doesnt go so well, you were man enough to get out there, so either way, you are a winner in my book. Everybody has to take there ass whoopins, and pay there dues, it comes with the territory. Good luck!

In the white belt division, I beat a BJJ purple who had tried to simply grab me, lift me and throw me to the ground with a sumo-style outside leg trip (osotogake?) for ippon.

You should buy a rule book at the very least. And work your breakfalls, for your own sake.

Terrible terrible idea. You won't like it and you'll get frustrated.

Honestly, after 7 months of *judo* you're probably not ready for tournaments, let alone BJJ. Go to BJJ tournaments, or go to judo tournaments to do judo, not drag guys to the mat and finish.

On a reverse perspective-my first ever judo tourney was the college championships held a few years back in Indianapolis. I had no judo tourney experience and didn't know any of the rules. I was like Resnick's description but I had a very good tomo nage (sp) so I could get them in my guard or throw every guy with it. I got all five of my opponents in armbars but the good guys stood up in time to nullify my sub. I did pretty well I won my first 3 fights by armbar in under a minute a piece then lost to the guy who got beat by a guy from Isreal who was from San Jose State, name was Eitan I believe (sp) he was nice as hell. He knew I didn't know shit about judo and sat in the hotel lobby with me the night before explaining the rules (he was in my division also and destroyed everyone the next day)If I would have faced him I t would have been curtains for me quick like. In my last match to see who went to the metal round for 3rd I armbared a 2nd dan and popped his arm but he got to his feet even though I went under his leg it is still a stand up in judo (I locked his arm while he was still kneeling not after he stood) He ended up throwing me with a sweet drop ippon seio (the same way I got beat by the dude from indiana. My point is depending on the draw you get you can do well. The three people I smoked were wreslting types. The pure throwers that knew the rules well gave me a hard time on the feet.

Freefaller21 go in the tourney and have a great time. The more experience you get in competition the better prepared you'll be for bjj comps.

Work with some judo guys and you'll learn to get the top position in bjj matches.

Good luck.

Where are my buddies MerryPrankster & Ronin_Gear ? Both are bjj guys who compete and excell in local tournaments.

They win with judo. meathat judo.

I dont like some of the attitudes about ne-waza in sport Judo.

Sometimes I feel like screaming "I am not trying to do BJJ"... I am a judoka who likes ne-waza, the refs get all pissy about me wanting to use ne-waza...It's lame because they know all the techniques I am using just as well as BJJ guys.

They act like "OH hes going for juji, must be BJJ, RESTART!!".

I'm not talking about regular inactivity standups of course, I'm talking about biased, "dont bring that BJJ crap here" standups. And ALL of you know what I am talking about.

Q, i love newaza like a cactus loves sun, but judo shiai is not the place for it..

i stopped trying.. i was wasting too much energy trying to MAKE something happen only to have the ref stop me.

(newaza) Either its there or it isn't. conserve your energy and get back up..

BIC, it is there in the rules man...It is just that the referees are not following them..There is no restart clock...It is about action and these guys restart before the action in ne-waza has stopped.

I was suprised at nationals, the refs where much better about it..On the local level, they need to be put in check by someone of rank.

I'll say one thing about judo shiai and groundwork:

It's good for working on your top game and turtle
attacks.
In answer to the original post:

IMO, if you don't have some sort of standing game,
you will just be frustrated by the rules.

"I'm not talking about regular inactivity standups of course, I'm talking about biased, "dont bring that BJJ crap here" standups. And ALL of you know what I am talking about."

Yep and when I stop competing I am going to become a ref and allow people more time on the ground, especially if one of these anti-newaza refs students is being beat.

If you do it, make sure you know how to take a fall. Also, you can't just drag a guy to the mat. You will penalize yourself out. Most of the BJJ guys I faced that tried to throw did two throws, tomoe-nage or kosoto-gari. It sounds like you would want to do tomoe-nage, but just remember it has to be real attempt. If the refs see you are just dragging the guy to guard, you will most likely get DQ'd right out of your matches.