EXCLUSIVE: Phil Baroni Uncensored

I think three months is a bit too much like a slap on the wrist. There has to be some punishment so no one does it in the future. But a year seems to be too much, basically Phil can't go back to his job for all that time. I think 6 months would be about right. He's miss a few events, it's still taking money from him, but it's less, uh, potentially career derailing than a whole year.

"Granted, I've seen boxing referees ask fighters if they want to continue, but it's always during a break or after a knockdown. But I've never seen a referee ask questions while a fighter is defending himself."

In every Pride match when a fighter is being pounded or in a potentially fight-ending sub, the ref stands over him repeating "Give up? Give up?" over and over. He clearly isn't going to stop the fight if he doesn't get an answer -- he's just making sure the fighter, who might be otherwise out of it or a little preoccupied at that point, is aware that he can verbally or manually tap out.

As for Phil, he needs to drop the NYBA thing. I don't care how "exciting" it is, if that's "not really him", then it's phony, period, and phoniness has no place in a sport many laymen think is as phony as the WWE to begin with. He needs to realize that you can have your regular persona and a killer in-ring persona -- like Wanderlei Silva -- without having to talk like an asshole about "this guy's a chump, this guy's a pussy, no one cares about this guy, everyone loves me, I'm going to knock his jaw into the sixth row." Manufacturing grudge matches is ridiculous.

Does he not see that Randy Couture is a bigger star than anyone else, and doesn't pretend to be an egotistical asshole? Even Tank is hugely popular for his brawling style and vicious KOs rather than putting on some phony bad boy act in interviews. Look at Belfort. Has anyone even heard him give an interview? Let your actions in the ring speak for you.

Phil comes off as a likeable guy in this interview, as he did when doing commentary with Rogan. People will be just as excited to see him fight due to his style, but they'd be rooting for him rather than against him. This sport doesn't need manufactured "villains".

Thanks guys! Actually, his license was revoked. He was not suspended. There is a big difference. He can reapply for his license after a year, but there's no guarantee that he'll be approved. That's excessive in my opinion.

If he asks for a 3-month suspension, they'll likely reduce it to 6 or 9 months. I think that's more appropriate than a revocation.

MatthewAFA i totally agree. We have all seen him do this before apologize, act all humble and then be a dick again. It isn't an act how he is at all. Even azzholes can be nice every now again and then they go back to being an azzhole.

"But regardless, does it mean that the sport should be full of Randy Couture clones all with the very same personality? That would be boring/ It's absurd."

I agree. Which is why I'm not saying "assholes" have no business in the sport, but "PHONY assholes" have no business in the sport.

Baroni comes across as a very down-to-earth, even likeable guy in this interview and when he did commentary at that one UFC, as I said. His defenders are always quick to point out the charity work he does and how nice he is "in real life". In other words, the NYBA thing is an ACT. It is supposedly (and apparently) NOT his personality. Look at how he talked about Tanner while commentating the Tanner/Franklin fight versus how he talked about him while "pumping up" his own fight with Evan. Then another shift in this interview. It's ridiculous.

I and I think most other fans aren't interested in seeing invented "characters" fighting in the ring. If you want a colorful personality that is still genuine, look at Rampage or Sakuraba; for cocky arrogant types, Ricco Rodriguez or maybe Frank Mir, or even Tank -- Tank's "submissions are for pussies, this should be about getting in the ring and throwing haymakers" is not an act, it's how he actually is.

I have no interest in seeing "The New York Badass" "cutting a promo" on his next opponent like he's The Rock talking smack about the Undertaker.

He should be punished. No doubt about it. None. But his actions did not rise to the level of Zab Judah's in my opinion. So his punishment should be somewhat lesser than Judah's was. I'm basing my position off precedent and not emotion. Judah got 12 months. Baroni got revocation. Those are two very different things.

ttt

I think Phil should go to Japan. I think his personality, looks, attitude and fighting ability are what Japanese organizations are looking for, the rude, agreesive, crazy foreigner. Basically the New York Bad Ass character would fit right in.

great read...

ttt for phil..

What is the situation with Landless? Will he ref again in the UFC?

I would think that Zuffa has told Landless to not talk to the fighters during a match other than to get busy like McCarthy does.

Great interview! Nice to hear his views, that's the smartest thing i've heard him say " tough times never last tough people do."

Good interview, thanks.

roids cause personality changes.

a thug. I love the way Lindland neutralizes him.

great interview... Phil is one of my favourite fighters...

Thanks guys.

Landless should absolutely continue refereeing. He may have made a mistake by trying to have a conversation during a fight, but he's human. We all make mistakes. Larry is a good referee. In the future, however, I'm sure he'll just let fights go during GnP until he's ready to stop it without asking the fighter if he wants to continue.

Serioulsy, it was an obvious bad stop and a tough a break for Phil, but I almost feel sorry for Tanner as well because he came back and was on his way to beating Phil down and now his win is tainted!

Some of you keep saying the punishment is harsh but this the last of a few episodes that Zuffa has had with him.

Good interview!

phil hit landless with little shots... landless fucked up... he really did.. phil made a good point..

speaking about how big john just says "keep moving, keep moving.." and lets the fighters respose convey their state.... this jerk off ref starts speaking to the fighter while he's in the mount having elbows dropped on his face like german war planes over poland...

i hope he gets his appeal....