Fertitta's celebrating with Connor - good or bad?

jayduane - One name. Chuck liddell, he was their golden goose and it was obvious from the get go. So no big deal. Same as in other sports, u invest big money on an athlete and he delivers. Then bust out the bubbly! Phone Post 3.0
Like conor always says, it's all business. He doesnt look at them as bosses. Helooks at them like business partners. This business deal made them both a whole lot richer and will continue. Phone Post 3.0

This makes Aldo/McGregor an even bigger fight now!

It's a weird relationship, I think MMA is the only sport that operates as it does.

Essentially the UFC is the fighters promoter, so it's not weird at all a fighter would be toasting with his promoter after a big event.

But at the same time the promoter is in charge of the sanctioning functions essentially, and makes all the matchmaking and title fights decisions, has a team of doctors that speak publicly on the fighters, and have close ties to the regulatory body real or perceived. The fact there was even a interim belt for a champion who's only out a cpl of months shows massive favoritism and decisions based solely on finances. Furthermore the bout to even grant Conor the championship was marred in controversy when Siver suspiciously squeaked into the top 10 right before they fought.

HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe - 
jason73 - lol @ people crying when a ufc fight is questioned as a fix when bellator has a questionable fight this place is in a feeding frenzy
Yeah, but what if Chad knocked him out with one of those huge punches or elbows he landed? If it were a fixed fight, Chad did his very best to fuck it up. That's the difference, there was no part of this fight that looked suspicious. Phone Post 3.0

herb dean stopped this fight with a quickness. i do not think it was a fix but he could have let it go to the next round.im not calling foul on anybody.in herbs defense his job is to protect the fighters safety and no one had a better seat than him.

I thought the stoppage was a little quick too, but I don't think it was fixed. The most fuckery I could possibly imagine, is Herb getting a bonus for stopping it as soon as he could, for Conor. I doubt that happened either though. It's impossible to work a bloody back and forth war like that. Conor could have gone down on any of those strikes, and game over. Phone Post 3.0

It's shitty for sure but not surprising Phone Post 3.0

Whambo - It's a weird relationship, I think MMA is the only sport that operates as it does.

Essentially the UFC is the fighters promoter, so it's not weird at all a fighter would be toasting with his promoter after a big event.

But at the same time the promoter is in charge of the sanctioning functions essentially, and makes all the matchmaking and title fights decisions, has a team of doctors that speak publicly on the fighters, and have close ties to the regulatory body real or perceived. The fact there was even a interim belt for a champion who's only out a cpl of months shows massive favoritism and decisions based solely on finances. Furthermore the bout to even grant Conor the championship was marred in controversy when Siver suspiciously squeaked into the top 10 right before they fought.

bemsqua - 
Argonaut - It's known that what is praised as a boss is amplified in your employees.

I'm predicting we will see more fighters come forward as well spoken hype generators for themselves as is McGregor now.

This McGregor movement is fantastic for the sport and will continue to draw more main stream attention. Phone Post 3.0

I think some will try, but hyping fights like that is a special skill. The only two I can think of in the history of the UFC are Sonnen and McGregor. Most of the time, it comes off as corny....Shamrock, Tito, Rothwell. It is great for the sport because of the attention it gets, but it's a unique skill to be believeable.

Also, the reason why McGregor gets so much hype is b/c he's the only one with his set of mic-skills. If everyone was doing what he's doing, then Conor would be much less special.

And it's a very bad look for the owners to be celebrating and partying with the fighters. It's one thing to have a nice meal at a super-ritzy place to discuss business on the owner's dime, but it's another to act like a fighter's manager.

RJJH -
ximboredofyoux - 
RJJH - 

and yet people think the fight wasnt fixed in some way.

The fight wasnt fixed but I do think Herb knew to pull the plug a little quicker for conor.

IF herb was "told" to have a short leash and to stop it when he could in favour of Conor then that is indeed a fixed fight.

I dont think Chad was told to take a dive, but I am 100% convinced that Herb was in on the take.

If you seriously think this fight has been fixed or a referee is on the pay roll, in your opinion is this the first time this has happened in the UFC or do you think this happens on every card? Phone Post 3.0

RJJH - 
KnockoutThoughts - 
RJJH -

Mendes got cashed out is not outlandish to believe. What a coincidence that McGregor claims he will end it in the 2nd round, Mendes is looking incredible dominating on the ground, gets up looking great, then just sits in the corner waiting, waiting for McGregor to tee off with no movement, all this at the end of the round, at the very end of the round he just bows down, and lets Dean stop the fight without trying to go for a leg or anything. He quit, and it looked intentional, like he meant to quit at that precise moment. With the amount of success he had, he could have easily gone for another takedown to end the round. McGregor couldn't stop it.

Fettittas paid Mendes like a champ and gave him a promise of a future title shot. That is my belief. The fight world is not a clean business. That would make any fighter accept the terms to take a fall to their cash cow. Just business, and doing what's best for business. Mendes decided the money involved was worth it. There's no other explanation to the sudden momentum change that happened in the last moments of a round he dominated. Suddenly quit, that ain't the Chad Mendes we've seen in past fights. He didn't even try to continue, and the smiles and happiness with the result doesn't coincide with a man who was winning a fight and suddenly lost. It coincides with a man who just made a fuck ton of money to lose exactly how he was supposed to lose. The UFC had too much to lose if McGregor lost. They paid Mendes an assurance bonus for sure. This was a boxing move at it's finest. Phone Post 3.0

yup. completely agree man! good rational post.

I really don't think it was a fix, but there are definitely certain things that do stand out:

Mendes basically acting like a punching bag and doing nothing for the first minute of the fight. Yet taking Conor down basically at will later on.

Mendes in complete control while in guard, but then when it gets back to the feet after a scramble he's dead-tired and has absolutely nothing left.

Mendes going on about who the Irish fans are incredible and how he wishes the American fans were more like them in the post-fight interview. Maybe this last one is stretching it!

bemsqua - On the post fight show, they showed Conner in the locker room area. Both Fertitta brothers were with him pouring shots/champagne with each other and Connor. Since they are the owners of the company, I thought it was a little strange to be celebrating a post fight win. Cormier came back on and said that's never been done with another champion. Obviously, Connor helped make some serious money last night, but is it good or bad the owners were celebrating with him? I doubt they would have been in Mendes locker room pouring shots with team Alpha Male if he would have won. I'm not hating on McGregor...I think he's great. It just looked weird.
Conflict of interest imo Phone Post 3.0

JetSetter - They've been doing that as far back as when Tito was champ. Quit being butt hurt everyone and relax Phone Post 3.0

And people were talking about this with Tito as well back in the day. How he got favorable matchups, etc... There's no doubt the UFC will go above and beyond for their anointed money-makers.

Like another poster said, if they did this for the winner of every championship fight, I'd have no problems. But they only do this for the chosen few which doesn't look good to the average person.

RJJH - 

...really?

Some stupid fucking people around here

Did a gif ever come through on this? Phone Post 3.0

Conor is theor golden egg laying goose, they r happy Phone Post 3.0

The UFC Machine has been pushing Conor hard. I still think Mendes could have lasted the seconds remaining. Conor won but he's been pushed harder than any fighter I've seen since Bisping. Phone Post 3.0

Canned Hams - 
Outlaw'd by Lytle -
Canned Hams - Mendes winning would not exactly be toasting to good business.

That being said, it's a perceived conflict of interest. Phone Post 3.0
How's it a conflict of interest?

If Conor was seen drinking with the NSAC then you'd have a point. Phone Post 3.0
You're right, it's directly in line with their interests. Other fighters can just suck it up and perform better. Phone Post 3.0

LOL.

Would Mendes have been celebrating with Fertitta? 

Same promoter. . .

Promoter is ostensibly obligated to promote in the best interests of their client. . .

But of course, this isn't a legitimate sport. . . is it?

It certainly wasn't professional but I doubt it points to a fix. If it was a fix, what would they be so excited about? They already knew the outcome before the fight. The fact that they were so nakedly happy about it suggests the outcome was in doubt. Same as Dana's dour expression when the fighter they don't like wins.

Agreed--I don't believe it a fix at all,

Just advantages heavily on one side.

In boxing--typical to get an automatic rematch clause. . 

Wow there are some seriously stupid people on these boards. Like seriously retarded. Phone Post 3.0