Fighter of the Year 2006 (poll)

gsp

GSP dominated everyone in 06. Got to vote for that guy.

GSP or Cro Cop

No love for JZ Calvancanti? He's my pick. He KO'd a top striker (Takaya) and submitted a world class BJJer (Yahra) both in under a minute, beat the piss out of Monma (who's pretty good, but not elite), and then beat Uno to win the Hero's GP.

"Akiyama"

Not a Sylvia fan, but would have to throw him in there.

gotta be crocop, he beat Vanderlei and Barnett in the same night!!?

GSP, Anderson S, CroCop and Denis Kang

Whoever wins in Tito vs. Liddell on Dec. 30th has gotta be crowned
fighter of the year.

2nd place would be GSP.

"Crocop clearly established himself as the second ranked fighter in a somewhat less talented division. He did so by beating three fighters that compete a weight class below him, and one already worn out fighter he'd already beaten twice."

lol, I was going to say Crocop, but this is accurate (if harsh).

So I was going to change my vote to GSP. Except he only had two fights, and the Penn performance wasn't that great.

So, what the hell, I'm going with Barnett. Wins over Hunt, Aleksander, and Nog (plus Nastula) aren't bad. He put himself right back into the mix at the very top of the HW rankings after lots of nay-saying from the doubters (me among them).

Rocky Balboa

frank shamrock

Cesar Gracie

Cro Cop... he just showed his dominance, and thats enough for me.
honorable mention: Silva, Liddell

barnett was the only hw mirko beat this year and barnett had just went to dec with nog..

gsp's wins are great but he only fought twice this year.

misaki fought 6 times this year. he got wins from henderson, baroni and kang (and shoji). he beat the mw champ in pride and won the mw gp.

so i would say MISAKI.

"So, what the hell, I'm going with Barnett. Wins over Hunt, Aleksander, and Nog (plus Nastula) aren't bad. He put himself right back into the mix at the very top of the HW rankings after lots of nay-saying from the doubters (me among them)."

I think that would make him Comeback Fighter of the Year then, ;p.

If Kang won the GP, i think it would go to him. Or at least Most Improved Fighter?

True, GSP's win over BJ was very close but you could also say that he still beat BJ Penn and did so with impaired vision. He showed heart in that fight and then came back and showed his absolute top game against "the most dominant WW of all timeS."

GSP or Cro Cop..I can't decide.

"Whoever wins in Tito vs. Liddell on Dec. 30th has gotta be crowned fighter of the year."

You really think so? Tito has done almost nothing significant this year. He would have to beat Chuck like 5 times in one night to get my vote.

GSP.
CroCop.
Vera.
Shoalin.

TTT for more votes. GSP and Cro Cop seem to be the favorites so far.