Fighters that don't use weights?

Fedors idol is a russian weightlifter. He is a big fan of weightlifting but he is also a fighter. He follows traditional russian periodization protocol.

BaddKarma - "because shrugs are an exercise using weights."

But it's only 1 small exercise, I guess carrying groceries is weight lifting too.

You omit his thousand pushups a day, thousand dips and other stuff.

I'm not omitting anything, the people who claim someone doesn't lift weights when they clearly do are omiting something.

and if 500 reps with a 30kb barbell is such a "small exercise", why don't you try it, and tell us what a small exercise it is.

Saku12 - didn't Koscheck state previously that he no longer lifts?

I remember him saying that too I think in one of the countdown episodes.

BaddKarma, youre wrong. Admit it like a man and move on. Shrugs are lifting weights.

You said he didnt lift weights in the 80's and he did. End of story.

Gannon,
You don't get big developed legs by just wrestling around. The guy did some kind of "weight" training. He may have done drills carrying a partner, etc. Carlos Newton did some lifting. He's too thick to say he didn't. It's like the dude who advertises for Bowflex. He's ripped, has no bodyfat, has thick muscles. That comes from a great diet, resistance exercise (weights), and cardio. 20 min. of bowflex won't do it or every asshole out there would look like that, including you and me.

ttt

RyPuhnie - Prisons have weights and guys weight lift a lot in prison. Its all they have to do.
I'll change what i said to most NJ prisons.This i know

Abstract : John Stossel reports on a growing movement to remove strength-training equipment from prisons.

Topic(s) :

Bodybuilding, Physical fitness, Prisoners, Prisons, Weight lifting.

This is from a 20/20 archive in 2003.What some states are doing is only using machines now.When the machines go down to be fixed their not being repaired or replaced.

Anyway you were right some prisons do,buit that trend may come to an end.

I say fuck em.Their in prison for a reason.They should have 23 hour lockdown with 1 hour in the yard for rec.Its prison,not day camp.Take away all their priveledges

olympic weightlifters are some of the most explosive athletes in the world

At their specific movements

"olympic weightlifters are some of the most explosive athletes in the world"

"At their specific movements"

Irrelevant. Studies show benefits of olympic weightlifting translate into sprint speed and vertical jump.

Point was that lifting weight does not slow you down with a proper training protocol.

"But how the hell does someone remain fast when lifting? does it not slow you down? Everywhere I read the general consensus is that weights are bad for speed."

When will this myth die? You can greatly increase your power lifting weights without putting on significant extra size or weight which can translate to extra speed in a number of things like sprints or jumping. There are plenty of explosive lifting movements designed exactly for this purpose. There are far more athletes that lift than those who do not. For some reason it's also something people like to lie their asses off about. "No, this is all natural" when they have basically a part time job during the week working out.

Palmala Handerson - 

90% of striking power comes from good technique

Sometimes people take a valid concept and just butcher it. If this were the case, Miguel Torres would hit harder than Brock Lesnar, and we wouldn't even have weight classes.

Proper technique is a "force multiplier" - a skilled lightweight hits much harder than than an untrained one, and a skilled Heavy hits much harder than an unskilled Heavy. your skill multiplies your power - being explosively strong will help your power a lot.

The problem with weight training for fighting is it takes SO much time for a limited benefit.

just because you're not familiar with efficient MMA lifting programs hardly means they don't exist. you don't lift like some meat head in the gym where lifting is your only goal. hell, you're getting such a volume of training form your MMA, using the same training volume as a "lifter" would be a serious mistake.

The problem with weight training for fighting is it takes SO much time for a limited benefit.

and cranking out endless push ups doesn't? switching to a more efficent weight training routine might save you time.

chris brennan said he didnt

Malachy Friedman - chris brennan said he didnt

Chris Brennan is a former competitive bodybuilder, just like Baroni. That muscle doesn't just disappear. Just like Fedor and Koschek, as well as Fitch, the strength gained from lifting weights doesn't just disappear. And Fitch said after his loss to GSP, he went back and hired a strength coach to help him improve.

You just need to do it right, just like any aspect of training..

Seems like a lot of people need to learn the difference between 'lifting weights' and lifting for hypertrophy.

Although I would agree that it is hard to find the line with regard to training load and recovery.

This shit always pops up every few years.

Nobody worth shit in MMA NEVER lifts weights in any form.

Lose the concept, its retarded. Its the equivalent of never doing any conditioning work. Just doing mitts, sparring, drilling and rolling.

Shows you know nothing about your sport and dont want to be good.

Its propaganda from a bizzare anti-lifting sentiment that throwback martial artists have fantasizing about some "pure" idea of mma being solely about technique.

Imagine the best technical basketball or football players playing with no really tall, really agile, or really big or fast guys. Just technique.

Not so cool.

Its always hard to seperate fact from fiction.
Lets look at 3 very famous fighters 'who don't lift weights'.

Royce Gracie -
....released 'Superfit' exercise book that showed him lifting weight.
....it also states in 'The Gracie Way' that they had him doing weights to get ready for UFC1 and 2

Rickson Gracie -
...the myth himself. The movie 'Choke' made it look like he did nothing but ab breathing and stretching on the beach.
In a recent podcast interview he did from early this year (the Fight Network from memory I think...), he says directly that he does some weight work.

Fedor -
Another guy that is known for 'training without weights'....though the recent footage released right here on the UG shows him and his Red Devil training partners in a park doing exercises which included a couple of barbell exercises.

"chris brennan said he didnt"

Brennan was a bodybuilder for years.

Thats like a BJJ black belt spending 95% of their training time on wrestling and standup and then boasting "I dont do BJJ" after beating guys.

Its bullshit. No legit trainer would agree to work with a guy who refused to do resistance training.

If you want to call it something else to be able to boast that you dont lift weights, thats dumb but fine.

You wont find a single high level fighter who just runs and spars and doesnt do any form of weight training.

Your bodyweight is still weight.

bottom line weightlifting is ineffective at best and borderline cheating

-the ug