Fighters that don't use weights?

"...when a bunch of chicks live together their monthly cycles begin to sync up and the all get their periods at the same time. "

I just found out about this a few days ago... that is very creepy! Bitchfest!

PrettyBoy - 
inf0 -  lmfao @ not using weights.. wtf.. anybody who wants to improve their strength should lift weights.

George Foreman disagrees with you.

lol @ listing one of the most genetically gifted athletes in modern history as a reason not to lift weights to gain strength/power...

Mike Tyson is the smart one. Not only is he a genetic freak but he weight trains very hard. He can bench close to 500lbs, squat a truck lol. He trains like a professional powerlifter in the weight room.

Tank benching 600lbs...impressive even though it wouldnt stand in competition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZsx-IQrkME

"Actually Tyson in the 80s didn't lift, or so he said when interviewed."

Sorry incorrect. He didnt excessivley lift like he did later in his career but he did lift in the 80's.

"5pm: 2000 sit-ups; 500-800 dips; 500 press-ups; 500 shrugs with a 30kg barbell and 10 mins of neck exercises"

"Tyson said that the shrugs "built his shoulders up" to help unleash punches with his short arms whilst at the same time building endurance in the neck."

Barbell shrugs are in fact weight lifting.

RyPuhnie - Prisons have weights and guys weight lift a lot in prison. Its all they have to do.
Alot of prisons and County jails took out their weights years ago.They didnt want the Pirsoners getting to be bigger,stronger criminals.Plus the Guards didnt want to have to deal with a Huge animal

Plenty of prisons have weights. It gives them something to do. Some even have boxing equipment.

Conor Heun - sort of off the subject but I've heard that the reason guys get so big and strong in prison is the excess of testosterone in the environment.

The same way that when a bunch of chicks live together their monthly cycles begin to sync up and the all get their periods at the same time.

I have heard that being in a males only environment where testosterone levels are high in the general population tends to spark increased testosterone production, like the bodies natural strive to stay dominant.

Cause you know it's not their diets, nobody is trading cigarettes for Myoplex.

So the way to get strong is to hang out with a lot of guys?

wieghts are good for building mass & static power ( meaning u can move heavier or bigger things )

body weight is good and build sustained power ( meaning u won't be able to move the same size of stuff as if u did weights but u can keep your power longer ...

the best way to train for fighting is probably 60 / 40 toward the body weight training but the most important thing is to build themuscle your going to use in a fight

Prisons actually have powerlifting meets.

ok, so the reason prisoners get huge like they do is because all they have to do in prison is lift weights!?!?!?!sorry, but anyone that says that obviously has never weight trained...when you lift weights, you train to break down the muscles, then rest to build them up...you can break down a muscle within an hour(if you train it right), and the more you do after that is pointless...so saying a prisoner gets huge just because they lift all day is just stupid and wrong...look at Tookie Williams, he was HUGE before he went to prison, and im sure his diet was garbage and he wasnt taking protein supplements..lofl...

source for tyson bench pressing 500 pds, i dont believe it..

Yes but if you lift consistantly for the 10 years you are there you will get bigger. Most people dont consistantly lift, they have things come up, jobs, lack of interest,lift until they reach a point and stop etc. Like anything if you stick to it consistency in the key.

so you are wrong.

And google Mike Tyson bench press instead of being wrong again lol.

Mike Tyson could Bench 250 at 13. its general consensus on every boxing forum and every google result he can bench 500 if not more....

Lennox Lewis stated in his bio that he himself could bench 380lbs at 250 bodyweight. Also Evander Holyfield hired Mr. Olympia Lee Haney for his weight training.

sooo, the general consensus on an internet boxinf forum is that tyson can bench press 500 lbs so that means he can press that much??umm, it doesnt work that way buddy...i wanna see a video of tyson pressing 500 lbs..im not saying its impossible but i dont see a pro boxer having a reason to train bench press to the degree it would take to be able to bench press 500 lbs...ive heard rumor of him at age 13 pressing 250 but again, where is the proof??im thinking it is just rumor...

Thanks for all the insight guys!

BaddKarma -
So doing shrugs means he lifts weights? he only did shrugs, how does that count as lifting weights?

because shrugs are an exercise using weights.

There are some great fighters that never touched weights, however you can't assume everyone is going to have that kind of natural power and explosiveness.

Kettlebell work has drastically helped my power, endurance etc. So for most of us, hitting the iron would probably be beneficial, but it certainly isn't mandatory.