finally, discovered the mount!!

This is actually embarassing, I have been trainging for 6 years and i never really liked the mount. I could finish beautifully from side control so i would never go to the mount- even if there was an opening. But the last 2 months, I have worked solely on the mount (when on top) and have found several little nifty moves and controls which has opened up my eyes from this position. Also, i have actually submitted a couple of blackbelts from this position.

Share man!

there is a reason you get 4 points for this position, and its not because its a weak position.

I had a similar experience, Trevor. I used to be great at getting to the mount, but never finishing from there. I decided to focus on a few submissions that I could just keep drilling over and over until they were reliable. My mount has become one of the strongest points of my game, even in no gi, where there are fewer submissions available.

Double attack, double attack, double attack...

Trevor or Andre, care to elaborate?

YourMomsBox,

With no gi, I found no reason to ever sit up in mount. I always keep head control and my hips low. I use my hands to strip his grip off of my knees or hips if he tries to create space. Then I work on isolating the arm that is opposite the side I'm hugging his neck. I underhook it and drive it away from his body with a little trick that I think I came up with (not saying no one else does it this way, just that no one showed me). Once that arm is away, I keep it trapped between my head and my arm. Depending on the opponent's reaction, I'll get the arm triangle, americana, or kimura. But the key is to isolate that arm and never let him bring it back to his body.

With the gi, I attack the neck with the basic choke in order to finish or expose his arm. This is pretty typical stuff, but I find that I use my hips much better for isolating that arm since drilling it so much. If that fails, I take the same approach I took with no gi, except that I use the threat of the ezequiel choke to draw the arm away from the body.

Good Stuff...

hmm, good stuff. thanks.

How 'bout you, trevor

andre

I underhook it and drive it away from his body with a little trick that I think I came up with (not saying no one else does it this way, just that no one showed me).

care to elaborate on this? i find this hard to do vs bigger/stronger guys that are hell bent on keeping their elbows tight to their body.

Once that arm is away, I keep it trapped between my head and my arm.

any tricks vs a guy who spazzes, bridges toward his arm and sucks it under him and places back in that t rex posture just when you are close to really sinking that control?

Depending on the opponent's reaction, I'll get the arm triangle, americana, or kimura. But the key is to isolate that arm and never let him bring it back to his body.

once you sink a kimura grip, what are your best couple of finishes? can you finish while staying top mount?

With the gi, I attack the neck with the basic choke in order to finish or expose his arm. This is pretty typical stuff, but I find that I use my hips much better for isolating that arm since drilling it so much. If that fails, I take the same approach I took with no gi, except that I use the threat of the ezequiel choke to draw the arm away from the body.

if you are attacking say his right arm, and using the basic collar choke/armlock combo vs an opponent with good awareness, how do you deal with it when he a)fights to never let you drag his elbow from your left hip to your right hip (like carlos machado advocates in his videos) and tries to square up and get back to a posture or b)whenever you even start to get his elbow with your left hip, he elbow escapes, faces you, and drop the attacked elbow to the ground?

this is a lot easier to avoid with the friction of the gi, but can still be problematic if you are trying to enter without controlling the elbow of the gi with your hand until after you get the angle, which i believe is how saulo shows it. i'll look for the youtube clip, but it's from one of his sets and i believe you are familiar with it.

this is a much bigger problem for me no gi, as i would grab behind the head with my right hand and try to get the angle instead of grabbing the collar with my right hand, and base with my left hand on the mat.

I'm going to make a video of it next week...I'll try to balance the bad information (Submissions 101) with some good information, hopefully.

TrevorRice

Would you mind to share with us your mount nogi strategy? i am having the same problem. with nogi is almost imposible to finish nothing :-)

Andre

have you ever tried to put your leg up once you have controled the arm? from there you can work with the double attack

andre - I'm going to make a video of it next week...I'll try to balance the bad information (Submissions 101) with some good information, hopefully.

that would be sincerely appreciated. thanks.

Stupid question, but WHERE exactly did you find the Mount...? --Was it near the 1/2 Guard? Cause I've looked there.

Seriously though, I think people tend to "discover" Mount later on in BJJ. Earlier it seems most people prefer Side Control or North-South --I certainly did.

But, I think after you have gotten experience with keeping the Mount and once you have learned to "open up" your opponent's arms, by whatever method, you start to have more success with Mount attacks and start to like it more. (Maybe that's obvious).

Theoretically, there are so many options from Mount, but if you can't safely open up your opponent from there, they might as well not exist.

I've found much success with smount on lower people but higher people its much easier to work mount to back combinations. My coaches specialty is mount, he has an awesome little trick to get the choke where he lets u put his one foot in half gaurd.

[quote]shen - Stupid question, but WHERE exactly did you find the Mount...? --Was it near the 1/2 Guard? Cause I've looked there.[/quote]

shen: www.mapquest.com

i think that one of the main reasons people learns a bit late the mount position is because since we are white, blue and even purple belts, we spend more time in side mount position, because we feel more confortable and easier to achieve.

InvisiblePinkUni

You are right :-). I have watched this dvds and of course, just swinging the leg is imposible. He explains that your leg is stronger than opponent arms, but if he close his elbows and protects his neck, is almost imposible to place your knee near his ear just swinging.

andre's tips are dead on. Andre, curious what is your success with the x-choke from the mount (standard lapel choke) vs. the ezequiel choke??

LEMon - I've found much success with smount on lower people but higher people its much easier to work mount to back combinations. My coaches specialty is mount, he has an awesome little trick to get the choke where he lets u put his one foot in half gaurd.

lemon, would you like to describe your fav way to take the back from the mount?