First Martial Art You Would Teach Your Child?

Thug-jitsu

uhfelons -  in case you were wondering if wrestling works in street fights.

Never said it wasn't effective, just said I seen a lot of guys get owned when trying to use it. Fight aren't usually one on one anymore either. wrestling is a lot less effective when your in a fight with more than one person.

wrestling first. wrestling is already set up to teach and give a competative environment to young kids. It teaches like Kirik already pointed out with Gymnastics,  Kinesthetic sense, or a sense of their body in space, and how it relates to others in the same space. invaluable in ground fighting, and while delivering kicks or superman type punches.

I also have a theory that the fighter who controls transitions is the fighter who generally wins the fight . All a fighter needs to do is have one really strong point in their game and the ablity to control transitions. If they want to keep the fight standing they can, or if they want the fight to go to the ground they can take it there, IMO this is the key to winning in MMA in most fights and a skill well represented in wrestling. GSP would be an excellent example of a fighter who can control transitions, you fight where he deems the fight should be fought, he wins.  This is barring the one punch, kick, elbow, wonder that is common in this sport. Control transitions and you will win more often than not.

"This ain't wrestling this is a fight dawg"

I Get Finished in Fights - Wrestling isn't a martial art. It's a sport. You won't learn to defend yourself on the street in a life or death situation with wrestling. I would teach them BJJ or Karate first.

AHHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sport BJJ in a life or death situation over wrestling???? AHAHAHAHAHAHAA

Better hope the guy is alone and wearing a gi

Im from new jersey. My kids will be wrestling before they can walk. I like the gymnastics idea kirik mentioned. But i would make him take judo. Sick wrestling and decent judo. Let someone try to clinch with him. Dumped on your head for sure.

pickledsoylentgreen -  I don't know, I've seen a lot of wrestlers get handled in street fights. They can take people down but they don't know how to react when the start getting elbowed in the top of the head, or if the dudes buddy pulls a cheap soccer kick to his head. I'm saying if your talking fighting wise, Muay Thai, street fights are honestly brutal and so is Muay Thai, they go hand in hand.

this is in response to Jacinto

I made my post mainly in regards to the mention of BJJ and I won't argue against Muay Thai being very effective in street fighting situations. However I still think wrestling would be much better to begin a child training in though.

Jacinto - 
pickledsoylentgreen -  I don't know, I've seen a lot of wrestlers get handled in street fights. They can take people down but they don't know how to react when the start getting elbowed in the top of the head, or if the dudes buddy pulls a cheap soccer kick to his head. I'm saying if your talking fighting wise, Muay Thai, street fights are honestly brutal and so is Muay Thai, they go hand in hand.

this is in response to Jacinto

I made my post mainly in regards to the mention of BJJ and I won't argue against Muay Thai being very effective in street fighting situations. However I still think wrestling would be much better to begin a child training in though.
As far as teaching children, I couldn't argue with wrestling. It's a competitive sport, your part of a team, and it requires great fitness. My earlier post was just in response to a street fight. I suppose it didn't really follow the thread. My bad.

tkd, their freaking children

krav maga.

you gotta go with bjj 1st,if your kids burns out,finds other things to do,music,art,bb,baseball he will get the most out of it.bjj is so easy to turn into a game,sumo push the kids out of the sq,bull riding.wrestling needs way to much strenght and conditioning.

i love wrestling,and what it stands for,i just know wrestling without bjj loses everytime.if you dont mind your kid losing and if he has the fire,wrestlings perfect to start in the 9th grade.

this is how it went with my kid,but he's no ball of fire.
just an average kid.

edit double

I Get Finished in Fights - Wrestling isn't a martial art. It's a sport. You won't learn to defend yourself on the street in a life or death situation with wrestling. I would teach them BJJ or Karate first.

LOL You have no idea what you're talking about.

Lion Of Zion - Judo or Karate. Something that teaches honour, respect, and enough self defense to be applicable to kids.

Wrestling for kids isn't for self defense (really what 6 yr old GNP's others?)and BJJ has no concept of honour and respect.

My kid just turned five and starts Judo in Sept.

you have no idea what your'e talking about with bjj

12 - you gotta go with bjj 1st,if your kids burns out,finds other things to do,music,art,bb,baseball he will get the most out of it.bjj is so easy to turn into a game,sumo push the kids out of the sq,bull riding.wrestling needs way to much strenght and conditioning.

i love wrestling,and what it stands for,i just know wrestling without bjj loses everytime.if you dont mind your kid losing and if he has the fire,wrestlings perfect to start in the 9th grade.

this is how it went with my kid,but he's no ball of fire.

just an average kid.
He ever get burnt out on jj when he was a kid at any point, or did he just go all the way through with no breaks?

Machida Karate.

wrestling during school kenpo in the off season.

Why not have them work a bit of everything? boxing, wrestling, muaythai, Bjj, and Judo

Boxing or MT, BJJ then wrestling. Then he can join the UFC be a champ I can die happy.

I.S.R is the best start for anyone and directly relates to self-DEFENSE. Self-OFFENCE on the other hand...