First Martial Art You Would Teach Your Child?

Wrestling - What better way to start your kids out than with something that builds strength, conditioning, toughness, camaraderie, and work ethic. Good coaches will help develop respect and honor as well.

Wrestling is a martial art and a sport that the kid can enjoy throughout his entire school life and possibly even beyond. He'll be in shape, he'll be part of a team, he'll learn a lot of good habits, and he can compete as a member of a team in school. He'll met friends his age with similar interests etc.......

and yeah, if hes getting bullied or something in school he'll be able to defend himself.

And also I don't care what the pansies say there's nothing wrong with getting your kid a pair of boxing gloves and going outside with him and teaching him to keep his hands up.

BJJ?? What's he gonna do rear naked choke somebody in the second grade who tries to take his lunch money?

I would start him with Judo, then have him join the wrestling team when he hits middle school.

I teach boxing so I'm sure I'll start working the pads with my kids as soon as they can walk.

Honestly a guy who has basic boxing skills, a few years of HS wrestling, and is in average shape/size, will win 95% of street fights.

I did BJJ 10yrs straight, never was a wrestler

my son is 5 and Wrestles

I even gave him the choice, went and participated in both wrestling class and BJJ, he said the BJJ kids werent as tuff as the wrestlers and wanted to wrestle. I was hoping he'd like the wrestling better anyway but thought he may think it was to hard, 2hrs is crazy for someone 5

Kids BJJ - 40 min

Kids Wrestling - 2hrs

tells you something

Lion Of Zion - I guess I should say I have yet to find a BJJ school that teaches honour and respect. As well as very few BJJ'ers that demonstrate it.

i hear you. i feel like the problem with a lot of the schools is that it attracts a lot of meat heads because of mma now. at my school, we call the black belts professor, are not allowed to use foul language in the school, and the gi must be worn at all times on the mat(except in the no gi/mma classes).

this kid is on his wrestling team, I think he'd do fine protecting himself against anyone his age. He's 10

http://www.flowrestling.org/videos/play/167848-58lbs-cade-olivas-ca-vs-onofre-lopez-or

Kapu Kuialua.

HuntingtonPUNK - this kid is on his wrestling team, I think he'd do fine protecting himself against anyone his age. He's 10

http://www.flowrestling.org/videos/play/167848-58lbs-cade-olivas-ca-vs-onofre-lopez-or

lol

Rarely have I seen high school wrestling matches that displayed that kind of skill.

Got to love the 909...

superbetiss - Why not have them work a bit of everything? boxing, wrestling, muaythai, Bjj, and Judo

judo, of course. unless i could find the rare sambo gym-MM

Boxing, so he could learn how to defend himself.

my son is 10, he did 2 yrs gymnastics at age 4-5, TKD for 5 yrs, judo for the last 6 months or so...he absolutely LOVES the Judo

Jacinto - 
HuntingtonPUNK - this kid is on his wrestling team, I think he'd do fine protecting himself against anyone his age. He's 10

lol

Rarely have I seen high school wrestling matches that displayed that kind of skill.

that kids crazy hah, a lot of coaches say he maybe the best they've ever seen at that age, coaches from other teams.

check this kid out, he trains MMA like a full time pro. Also from Calvary Chapel kids Wrestling

his page is nutz, unbelievable

Team Oyama at 8yrs

http://www.youtube.com/user/manakoa00

A kids first instinct is to grapple usually, don't you guys remember fighting as kids?!? I remember even before 1993 taking kids down and sloppily rolling and choking them with half assed chokes, lol...

I'd do BJJ first, he'll have the opportunity to add wrestling in HS. 

And as far as wrestling not being effective on the streets, it depends on the person... I do remember guys on my wrestling team getting in fights and getting their asses beat because they couldn't take a punch.  Grappling is natural though, not everyone can have a knockout punch!

I say BJJ simply because the kid will learn how to finish a fight from all different positions, if someone bigger and stronger(i.e. the average bully) puts him on his back he will be able to sweep him or finish him from his position. BJJ has proven to be the best single fighting art prior to almost everyone training in it... He'll have more options with BJJ, takedowns, sweeps, submissions, etc...and he'll learn NOT to give up his back in BJJ...people give up their back way too easy in a real fight once it hits the ground, HS wrestlers(who don't know any better) do it all the time when they are swept.  

After he gets good at BJJ add in Boxing...kid would be a beast...

whatever they seem to be interested in. lol at fags who were bullied as kids trying to make their kids into pitbulls with wrestling and gnp for grade school. why not just teach them how to pack a gat to smoke the first teacher that looks at them wrong.

I'd teach them mixed martial arts, because it's the most comprehensive h2h martial art. Odd that no one has mentioned that style yet in this thread (that I saw).

Six months of sprawl training.

Kirik - Gymnastics is a great base for anything, too.

I'd add swimming (anaerobic) and some sort of music/choir (rhythm).

good post.
voted up.

for HuntingtonPUNK