Forrest at the right place at the right time ? ? ?

He had to be the least talented UFC champion of all time, imo (post ufc-30).

He beat Shogun Rua to get his title shot against champion Quinton Jackson. He won both fights becoming number one, but no one here accepted him as champion...

If you go back and look at the fights, was Forrest Griffin just at the right place at the right time ? ? ? He beat Shogun Rua, who has ACL surgery and just got married, barely training...Then there was the Rampage fight. Most people had Rampage winning or a draw at the most, but judges decided to give the fight to Griffin (more like a gift decision, same biased judging you saw in japan or for that matter musashi in k-1). Rampage was totally not himself and Rampage admits that was his worst performance and a total fluke that Forrest even made it through 5 rounds....

So my question is was Forrest Griffin a legit champion who 'deserved' the title or was he indeed just a basic 'good' fighter who was at the right place at the right time ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

just a basic 'good' fighter who was at the right place at the right time ?

Not to take away from Forrest's fighting abilty but I think he was in the right fight at the right time.

Two votes for at the right place, at the right time...

hahah so funny how easy it is to fall from grace in mma

I give him all the credit in the world.

It takes big balls to be the first UFC guy to face shogun.

Tough guy who will fight anyone.

Bobby Lupo -  He tapped Shogun and clearly beat Rampage. He was just the right man at the right time. Most other 205'ers aren't beating Shogun and Rampage, back to back. Forrest deserves credit for what he did.

Eerrrr....Bobby you are a great poster, but it took him three rounds to tap Shogun when shogun was gassed in the first round...And I dont think he clearly beat Rampage in that fight..

Forrest beat Rampage. The judges didn't give him the fight, it was not a gift.

Forrest worked hard for those wins, he wasn't gifted anything. It's tiring to hear the same excuses to try and discredit someones win. Champions work hard, and Forrest worked hard. Shogun didn't win because he didn't work as hard as Forrest, neither did Rampage.

of course he was at the right place and the right time, but he was also good. it's not like beating shogun and rampage is the easiest path to the championship either. fighters and fans always have excuses for losses so the situation with shogun isn't unique.

Fenix, its hard to 'work' for a win when you're sitting on the couch injured all day like Shogun was.

Tough guy, but definitely he's seen a lot of favoritism and good fortune.

They dicked Machida around while letting Forrest duck him. I never saw him as much of a champion.

Rampage victory was legit.

Fenix - Forrest worked hard for those wins, he wasn't gifted anything. It's tiring to hear the same excuses to try and discredit someones win. Champions work hard, and Forrest worked hard. Shogun didn't win because he didn't work as hard as Forrest, neither did Rampage.

that.

Rampage lost that fight. Re-watch it

never gets old. Guy loses a fight and he has no business fighting. Wins one and he is unstoppable. Anderson was overrated and heading for an ass beating after his last few fights. Now he is god again.

Nothing you people talk about or say will ever mean anything in the real world. Keep thinking

LOL Rampage got jobbed in that decision. JMO.

But hey if beating Chuck earns you a title shot I guess beating Shogun in his debut does too. Forrest made the most of his opportunity, no fault of his imo.

But at no time did I consider Forrest or Quentin the best 205er in the world, regardless of Zuffa PR. Again JMO.

yes...he should have never gotten a title shot in the first place

goku - yes...he should have never gotten a title shot in the first place

Definitely. There were 3 undefeated fighters in the division when Forrest got his shot. It's ridiculous that he stole a title shot before any of them.

What's with all the dislike of Forrest? I just don't get it. 

And being shown favoritism? How many easy fights did he get? Or does he CONTINUE to get? He gets the call to fight Anderson Silva (yeah, I know it went down bad for him) but the guy didn't tuck and run.

Machida not getting a title shot had nothing to do with Forrest Griffin. You forget all the Macheetah threads and everyone complaining about his 'elusiveness' being so boring that the UFC didn't want him anywhere near the belt?

Everyone expected Forrest to lose to Shogun and set up a Shogun - Rampage title fight. We know it, everyone knows it. Forrest got the upset win, then he went in as massive underdog to Rampage and got the belt. So he lost it in the next fight after winning the belt- so did Rampage, and so did Rashad.

Too much hater for Forrest, imo.