Fox offers UFC 200 million for broadcasting rights

Lol

Lights Out Lurker -
SlickRick01 -

Dave Meltzer just mentioned in an article that he posted on mmafighting.com that his sources indicate that WME/Endeavor hopes to have a verbal agreement in place by the end of this month or early 2018 at the latest.

Dave seems to always be in the "ballpark" of numbers but always comes in on the very low end. It's like he's the negative Nancy when it comes to ppv buys and these deals. It's like he wants them to look bad for some reason. Basically he's like the UG.....Dana says a ppv did 1 million buys, Dave will come back and say "sources say it's closer to 970k buys".

if dana had to pay out his ppv estimates to his fighters, the UFC would go bankrupt.

SlickRick01 -

^ What’s your take on who they’ll sign with? My guess is two thirds of the content to Fox and the rest to Turner. Just a complete guess, though.

Best guesstimate right now...

Turner for around 300m/yr.

ppvs cut to 6 a year

luctaro -
StrikingMMA -
SlickRick01 - 

^ What’s your take on who they’ll sign with? My guess is two thirds of the content to Fox and the rest to Turner. Just a complete guess, though.

Disney and Fox are closing a deal soon. Disney many be a player also.

I posted info about it and a link to an article a little higher up on this page.

lol I only care if the Fantastic Four are going to be under Marvel Studios or not.

This

Rumor has it BravoTV is in the mix now.

TUF will def be a different reality show if it goes to that channel.

With the rsns espn is now a live dog... their ott service scheduled to launch in 2019 could be a big catalyst for the ufc.

^ Interesting point. The only question would be if they have the appetite for that level of spending after incurring $60 billion in costs for the RSNs and everything else.

^ if ur willing to invest 60b, 300m isn’t that much.

the question is can they monetize the ufc... with the rsns and ott service it’s hard to say no.

The second question now is who can best monetize the ufc because that’s who’ll likely have the best bid...

hard to say it’s not espn after the acquisition and ott plans... tnt would also be up there.

foxs motivation now is more about what will help sell the remaining properties (big fox, fs1, fs2, Fox News)

they couldn’t sell these to espn/Disney because of antitrust.  They will however be looking for another suitor for these assets.

True. Plus, the library of events might tie in perfectly with ESPN’s new OTT offering. Could be a candidate, you’re right.

Ultimate swerve would be Disney deciding to buy at least part of UFC, if not majority share.

Also With fox’s equity in Hulu Disney will have 60% / controlling interest in the streaming service.

MMALOGIC -

the question is can they monetize the ufc... with the rsns and ott service it’s hard to say no.

The second question now is who can best monetize the ufc because that’s who’ll likely have the best bid...

hard to say it’s not espn after the acquisition and ott plans... tnt would also be up there.

foxs motivation now is more about what will help sell the remaining properties (big fox, fs1, fs2, Fox News)

they couldn’t sell these to espn/Disney because of antitrust.  They will however be looking for another suitor for these assets.

Wasn’t Fox planning to keep their sports and news division’s and have that be their focus? I wasn’t under the impression that those things would be for sale period.

SlickRick01 -

Ultimate swerve would be Disney deciding to buy at least part of UFC, if not majority share.

Not gonna happen, but I wouldn’t exactly mind. WME hasn’t exactly done a good job >_>

MMALOGIC -
SlickRick01 -

Best guesstimate right now...

Turner for around 300m/yr.

ppvs cut to 6 a year

Turner? Eeewwwwwww

Fewer PPVs is good (probably for the UFC as well as us), but the UFC should be looking to go with a platform that could actively grow their fan base not diminish it.

A Fox deal with a lot more shows on Big Fox, or a deal with ESPN (Disney owns ESPN). ESPN may be diminished but they’re still a far bigger platform than FS1, and Disney seems like they’re gonna go all in with their streaming service once they launch it, which could be a great secondary platform under the same umbrella and as a part of the same deal.

Chromium -
SlickRick01 -

Not gonna happen, but I wouldn’t exactly mind. WME hasn’t exactly done a good job >_>

Yeah, I could be wrong but I’ve just always got the feeling that WME wasn’t looking to own long term, but rather to flip it within 5 years or less. Who knows, though.

I think they go back to SpikeTV again. Things were so much simpler then.

SlickRick01 -
Chromium -
SlickRick01 -

Yeah, I could be wrong but I’ve just always got the feeling that WME wasn’t looking to own long term, but rather to flip it within 5 years or less. Who knows, though.

Doubt they sell... they are lookin to acquire more properties... 

They want to build their portfolio and at some point wme/endeavor will go public.

StrikingMMA - I think they go back to SpikeTV again. Things were so much simpler then.

Spike was paying the ufc 35m/yr.

ufc just declined 200m/yr.

spike ain’t happening.

Chromium -
MMALOGIC -

Wasn’t Fox planning to keep their sports and news division’s and have that be their focus? I wasn’t under the impression that those things would be for sale period.

If they were serious they would keep the rsns.

if at&t turner merger goes through the most likely candidate to purchase remaining fox assets would be at&t.

fox is selling its assets because they don’t believe they can compete... with only a few assets left they really won’t be able to compete.

the only reason they aren’t selling fox, fs1 etc to Disney is potential antitrust issues

Erik Apple - remember my thread about the Ferrite's buying it back for a billion?

Yep.

This guy knows.

Look at what the Ferttitas did with Xyience.

They subbed WME/Endeavour the same way.