Frank Mir: "I can't take Brock down."

straight out of the horse's mouth. not sure why he would say that, but at least he's honest.

www.bloodyelbow.com/2009/1/20/728950/frank-mir-breaks-down-upco

"My striking, now, is up to a level that I don't think his is at. My jiu-jistu's still at a level I don't think his is at. Obviously he can out wrestle me, but it's kind of like, okay, pick your poison," stated the former UFC heavyweight titleholder. "Do you want to stand with me? I can't take Brock down. If Brock wants to stand on our feet, it will be a stand-up war. Does he really want to stand up with me? Okay, Nogueira's a much better boxer than he is and we saw what happened there. At the same time, does he want to shoot and take me down? That might not be the best thing either. So, he's kind of really in a weird situation.

"I'm kind of curious what his plans will be, so I'm just preparing to go ahead and beat him at the stand-up and beat him on the ground."

"I think he's improved a little bit, but I still think it takes a long time. No one picks this up in four or five fights," said the UFC interim heavyweight titleholder. "What fighter have you seen yet that in four fights is unbelievably technical? We can go through any weight class you want.

"Lets look at Urijah Faber at his fourth or fifth fight. What was he compared to what he is now? If we go to Miguel Torres, if we go to St. Pierre, you can pick the best fighters in the world. How good are they on their fifth fight compared to how good they are now," asked Mir. "We're talking about world-class guys. We're talking BJ Penn's and stuff. Let's be realistic - Matt Hughes. Come on. If Brock Lesnar is able to be a world-class mixed martial artist on his fifth fight, that means he's the best mixed martial artist pound-for-pound that ever came into MMA. That's a pretty steep statement there. We're talking you're up there with Anderson Silva and St. Pierre and Miguel Torres. That's a pretty long, tall list to be on top of."

"If he does it, I'll be impressed out of my mind," he added.

blaa blaa, Mir is gonna get smoked.

Mir via Kneebar.

I'm getting a little tired of Mir trying to turn himself into Rocky.

it seems to me that mir is trying ot convince himself that he can DOMINATE lesnar, which in their first fight definately wasnt the case and in their second fight i cant see being the case either, brock only needs to land one to put you down or send you flying across the octogon, just ask crazy horse and hte natural, hey even ask mir, didnt brock put him on his ass with a jab?

Mir's always looked shitty off his back, defending against strikes.

Lesnar had Mir ready to be served up on a platter, in only Brock's second MMA contest ever, before he got careless and made a rookie mistake. Mir even got some referee assistance in that one.

If Brock stays calm, stays tight on the ground and just does what he did last time, Frank Mir will get Ian Freeman'ed again.

I think Frank Mir will learn from their last fight and defeat Brock Lesnar again.  Mir looked very sharp in his last fight and beat a very tough fighter in Nogueira.  Mir seems to fight well and rise to the occasion when people underestimate him.  Mir being the underdog is good for Mir. 

I can't wait for this fight!

or maybe another case of misinformation which plays to Mir's strategy...

New champ Frank Mir: misinformation an effective strategy

Before his upset of UFC interim heavyweight champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira this past weekend at UFC 92, Frank Mir had been the focus of rash of rumors.

If you asked enough people in and around his camp, you would have heard about an injured back, refusals to train and even claims Mir was desperately looking for a way out of the Dec. 27 fight.

Just a few days after a shocking TKO of Nogueira and the unveiling of his new and effective stand-up game, Mir admits that the rumors were out there -- largely because he was the one issuing the false reports.

Mir, no stranger to Sun Tzu's definitive military-strategy classic The Art of War, discussed the pre-fight strategy and the importance of misinformation this week on TAGG Radio (www.taggradio.com), the official radio partner of MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

"Every fighter gets injured a lot during training camps," Mir said. "One thing I've learned not to do is – I don't really give any validity to my injuries. Some of my injuries are fake. I've faked a few injuries in the past but not to pull out of fights or anything. It's just there a lot of rumors out there, and when I hear them, I help people out. ... 'Go tell people and put it on the Internet.'

"That way when a real, legitimate injury goes through, people question whether I'm really hurt or not."

Since Mir's comeback from a devastating motorcycle accident in 2004 – one that caused a year-long layoff that forced the UFC to strip him of the heavyweight belt – fans never seemed to know what to expect out of the 29-year-old fighter.

Would they get the svelte version that weighed in at UFC 57 in his comeback fight, or the bloated version that quickly gassed five months later at UFC 61?

Those who heard the pre-UFC 92 gossip braced for the worst at the event weigh-ins. But many of the rumors were \enveloped with a heavy shadow of doubt when Mir disrobed, appeared in solid shape and tipped the scales at just 251 pounds.

"On the 27th (of December), I don't think I could have been better prepared," Mir said.

While it was obvious Mir had trained and was, in fact, in fighting shape, no one could have predicted his remarkable transformation from a Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt to a feared heavyweight striker.

He dropped Nogueira early in the co-main-event fight on multiple occasions, and though he was confident he could go the full five rounds, he wanted to end it early with a dangerous opponent. After all, Nogueira, who had previously never been knocked out, made a career of come-from-behind wins just when it seemed he was on the brink of defeat.

"A lot of people have gotten up on Nogueira in the past," Mir said. "The problem is that they never shut the door. I wasn't going to let that happen."

Mir also discussed how he and coach Ken Hahn developed his striking game, why his cockiness was part of the game plan to get Nogueira to engage, his thoughts on an upcoming rematch with UFC heavyweight champ Brock Lesnar, and why he thinks the current champ has made little to no progress during his short time in the UFC.

To hear the full interview, download Wednesday's episode of TAGG Radio, available for free in the TAGG Radio archives.

Neither Mir nor Brock will be the champ for more than two fights if they actually fight top 10 HWs.

D3structo -  Neither Mir nor Brock will be the champ for more than two fights if they actually fight top 10 HWs.

interesting...what does that make nog or couture?

Mir is right here. In fact, he didn't say anything wrong in his assessment of the Nogueira fight.

AsDumbAsCre - 
D3structo -  Neither Mir nor Brock will be the champ for more than two fights if they actually fight top 10 HWs.

interesting...what does that make nog or couture?

Couture matched up horribly with Brock. Wrestlers who outweigh him by more than 50lbs were his weakness.

I really dont think Mir's win over Nog really catapulted him into being some great fighter. The only think Mir's win over Nog showed was how badly Nog prepared for the fight or how far past his prime he is.

D3structo -

Couture matched up horribly with Brock. Wrestlers who outweigh him by more than 50lbs were his weakness.

tim sylvia?

AsDumbAsCre - 
D3structo -

tim sylvia?

Tim isn't a wrestler.

Misinfo or not he's not taking down Brock even in his dreams, LOL

Why would he want to take him down? He can kill him standing and sub him from his back. Lesnar got the bad Catch-22 fighting Mir...

]D3structo -
Neither Mir nor Brock will be the champ for more than two fights if they actually fight top 10 HWs.

I'm pretty sure that Randy Couture is a top 10 HW, as is Nogueira. Sure, Randy matched up bad against Lesnar but how can you claim he isn't a top 10 HW?

^^Which makes Fedor very special indeed...:)

i don't see any reason Brock couldn't keep it standing and win it there. he has the reach and the power and has already proved he can knock Mir down