FRAT: Gumby Telling Old Stories

I don't think they're at 3000 yet :( Phone Post

Shame on you for holding back Gumby! Thankfully Scotty keeps it real, give us the goods!!!!!!

Ttt for Paul Walker Phone Post

On the Mat - Im calling total WEAK SAUCE on this thread!!

Gumby is totally HOLDING BACK on all of you!

Just off the top of my head I can think of a few stories he could be telling!

1) BJ draws imaginary line in parking lot and dares any bouncer to cross
2) Dave Cam get carried out the bar by the Polar Bear with one arm
3) Cam chokes a guy till he craps his pants
4) Cam chokes out nazi
5) NYC take over with Paul Sev
6) Gumby Vs Rapper Nas's body guard
7) Gumby brazil trip w Ralph
8) Regan penn pukes and mounts a marine
9) Donotin kicks JP penn square in nuts
10) Any fight story with Flex!!

Put the pressure guys. dont let him off easy ;)
god im so jealous of you guys for getting to be a part of that environment Phone Post 3.0

On the Mat - Im calling total WEAK SAUCE on this thread!!

Gumby is totally HOLDING BACK on all of you!

Just off the top of my head I can think of a few stories he could be telling!

1) BJ draws imaginary line in parking lot and dares any bouncer to cross
2) Dave Cam get carried out the bar by the Polar Bear with one arm
3) Cam chokes a guy till he craps his pants
4) Cam chokes out nazi
5) NYC take over with Paul Sev
6) Gumby Vs Rapper Nas's body guard
7) Gumby brazil trip w Ralph
8) Regan penn pukes and mounts a marine
9) Donotin kicks JP penn square in nuts
10) Any fight story with Flex!!

Put the pressure guys. dont let him off easy ;)

LOL.  What would be left for the book?

1.  I remember that vaguely.  I have much better BJ stories.

2.  I don't recall this one.  I have Dave Cam stories and only met Paul Varlens once.

3.  You have to be more specific, this happened a number of times.

4.  I wasn't there.  I don't tell that story half as well as John (who had his orbital bone broken).  Cameron goes to break it up, get's attacked, but the nazi in a triangle and they wound up having to perform CPR on him because his heart actually stopped.

5.  If we piece together our collective notes from the weekend we might be able to piece together a coherent story. 

6.  It was actually Jay-Z's bodyguard.  Nothing much came out of that.  A more epic story is Henry Akins versus Justin Timberlake's bodyguard. 

7.  For the book, although I've told plenty of stories from this trip.  Hywel got me for his e-book talking about that.

8.  You have to be more specific.  Reagan does have the best, if not foulest street fight mount.  (Worst would have to go to Scotty, lol). 

9.  I remember that, just not the details.

10.  Flex fought?  Or got you into a fight?  There was was one stupid story where Flex and Dave Cam came to blows, but every shot they fired hit either me or JD Penn.

Gimmie two hours to finish part II of my story.

IN for Gumby story time....

The Potato

While the San Francisco Academy was growing rapidly, the attention diverted northward was causing the original Mountain View Academy to suffer. (I only found out years later how close the might gym was to closing but Ralph kept it going out of a sense of loyalty to his first crew). The plan was to have Kurt Osiander in San Francisco and Dave Camarillo in Mountain View, for various reasons Dave's arrangement was short lived and while he still trained at the academy they imported from Brazil Sandro "Batata" Santiago to head the academy.

Batata was a fresh black belt from Roberto "Gordo" Correa (Gordo's first) who I had actually met and hung out with in Brazil prior to his arrival. Batata did not inherit an easy job; as I mentioned Mountain View was flagging a bit at this point in comparison to San Francisco, and there were some very established talent there already. Batata was highly skilled on the mat however, and perhaps equally important egoless but respected off the mat and he deftly managed to take the reins with little drama. We all fell in line, and the more well established students remaining in Mountain View (including Dave Camarillo and Cameron Earle) were felt strongly about the school and were determined to make it succeed.

Because of work I was splitting my time equally between the Mountain View and San Francisco Academies; I felt like I was getting something different out of each and I also had something different to contribute to each school. In Mountain View I had a fast friendship with Batata, I was only a small handful of people he knew here in a new country and he didn't speak English too well at that point. My Portuguese was (is) pretty awful but I would try to help him as I could, letting him practice his conversational English and correcting his mistakes. Usually. To this day he is still mad I never corrected him when he confused "chick" (girls) with chickens. "Hey Gumby, let's go get some chickens! Let's go meet chickens!" and being the nice guy I am I would just chuckle to myself.

The first night we went in search of chickens, I went to pick him up where he was staying, which was Ralph Gracie's house. Whenever a Brazilian came to the United States and wanted to go out, Ralph would sit them down and give them a long speech about the differences between Brazil and America. That America had more laws and more of a police presence, you could not fight in the streets, and that if you did you were very likely to be arrested and deported. (I heard he sat Ryan Gracie down for three hours the first time he came to stay). The speech I got from Ralph was much shorter and direct. "Gumby, keep Batata out of trouble. Anything happens to him, I'll kill you." Knowing Ralph this was a literal threat as opposed to a figurative one, and I assured him nothing bad would happen. We drove up to San Francisco and met up with Sergio Silva, a purple belt who had moved here a bit earlier and who had a bit more advanced English that Batata's.

I know now Batata as one of the nicest guys around and one of the last guys to ever get into trouble unless strongly provoked (Sergio for that matter as well). But going out with a Brazilian was always an adventure. A few months prior I had been out with another Brazilian who had trained under Ryan Gracie. That crew had a definite reputation for trouble. I remember going to 1015 Folsom with him which was more of a house music club that I really liked. Thickly muscled and squat he would eye up everyone (including the bouncers) as soon as he walked in. I remember someone smoking a cigarette in there (this was just when anti-smoking laws had passed but not every club was strict on it). So Thiago goes up to him and say "hey, are you allowed to smoke", to which the smoker just sort of stares at him. Five minutes later Thiago comes back with a fire extinguisher and blasts the guys in the face. Security comes running and we take off, Thiago blasting the extinguisher like some kind of smoke bomb as we make our escape. Couldn't show my face in their for a little while, so I was determined to not take Batata some place I actually liked in case something went down.

We wound up at Polly Esters. Now Batata does not drink (like Ralph he's pretty much teetotaler) and the scene was pretty overwhelming to him I think. (Subsequently I found that he would be much looser in a Brazilian party). The three of us wound up at the edge of the dance floor, arms folded across our chest on the outskirts of the actions, not quite working up the nerve to approach anyone. Suddenly this girl comes up to Batata, and I wouldn't't really describe her as hot (but not ugly either) and a few years older than us and in a tight black number and tries to pull Batata on to the dance floor. Batata is a resistant, he is either shy or bit confused and to be honest the way she came up to him was a bit bizarre for either the States or Brazil. When he does not move the woman throws his arms around him and starts grinding on him. Batata just looks more confused, he glances at us like "WTF?" but he does not move his body at all. To be honest it was pretty weird and it was about to get even weirder. A guy in a sports jacket and open shirt pushes his way through the crowd and yells "hey!" and the girl jumps off Batata (who still hasn't moved). This looks like he just got done working at a bank to be honest, and his his beard was closely trimmed and hair parted down the middle. He was eye level to Batata (and if you didn't realize, Batata means "potato" which is not a nickname given to very tall guys). The guy starts yelling and posturing, and calls Batata (and I remember this clearly) a "pipsqueak". He is puffing his chest out and taking his glasses on and off as the women is pushing him back pleading with him not to hurt Batata. It was honestly one of the least intimidating things I had ever seen and Batata stood there in the exact same spot, arms still crossed looking more bewildered than anything. "You'll never have anything like this," the guy continued (honestly, his girl was extremely plain looking), and "you're lucky she's here" as he kept pseudo posturing as she was pushing him away.

With my experience, (especially now), I know when someone is angling for a fight, and I am equally certain this guy had never been in a fight in his entire life. It was obvious that this guy was posturing for his girl, why this girl had run up to Batata is anyone's guess but being this is San Francisco this could have been their way of propositioning him for a devil's threesome (MMF). During this whole time Batata never moved, never uncrossed his arms, never even changed the look on his face from surprised. He asked me what just happened and honestly I had no clue. He gets to talking to Sergio in Portuguese, and Batata's face turns from a blank look to one of anger. "I'm going to beat this guy", he tells me and wants to start hunting this guy down (who had since disappeared).

At this point thought bubble appears above my head with Ralph Gracie in it.  “If anything happens to Batata, I’ll kill you Gumby.”  It said to me and I realize if Batata beats this guy up, I will wind up getting my ass kicked even worse.  So we start making our way through the crowd looking for the guy.  One advantage I have over most people (especially Batata) is my height, and being taller than most people I can see over most crowds.  I pretty much spot the guy Batata is looking for right away at the bar, talking with his yuppie friends about he just saved his women or some nonsense.  The lot of them could have been taken out by any one of us, but I proceed to lead our crew in the opposite direction.  “I think I see him over here,” and I would bring us to the opposite side of the club from wherever I saw this guy.  If he went upstairs, I would take us downstairs.  Batata was getting more worked up and ready to fight with each passing second, but there was no way I was going to let this happen.

Batata kept getting more and more worked up as I lead us on a wild goose chase through Polly Esters.  At one point I actually did see the guy and his party leave, but Batata was pretty intent on finding him and we spent some amount of time after that still looking for him and not talking to any “chickens” (not that there were any pretty girls there that night) or doing anything fun.  Me just stressed out of my mind as to what would happen if Batata actually did find him. I think a week later Batata wanted to go back to the club to find this guy, but I told him it was likely we’d never see him again.  I think Batata may have forgotten this incident.  But he brings up the fact I let him him call girls “chickens” about once per month.

Part III Coming shortly!

https://www.facebook.com/OnTheMat

Great thread :)

These are so awesome Gumby, keep it up! Also liked the page

Ttt Phone Post

These threads rock. Thank you Phone Post

OH SNAP! I know how this one ends!!

You should have triple digit vu's Phone Post

Facebook page liked.

More stories please. Phone Post 3.0

Aaronrodgers=GOAT - 

You should have triple digit vu's Phone Post

ya right.

VTFU Gumby

give us some of the real meat.

ttt

I got my blue belt from Sergio in 06, and he is one of the funniest, if not the funniest brazilian to kick it with in the Bay.

subbed.

and yes I would buy the book