Galvao will upset Gordon

This post doesn’t make any sense.

1. Why would he have to eventually engage with Gordon in some capacity? He doesn’t do it with anyone else anymore. And he can just play the borders of the mat on his feet, collar tying, grinding for head position and running out of bounds every time something even remotely offensive happens for Gordon. In fact, by making it to points/OT, it is even more likely this happens, unless Gordon is smart enough to game the rules with a shot-to-pull or turtling to avoid points. Even then, Galvao wouldn’t meaningfully engage his guard, he will just try to dive bomb through it, high step/turn and run at any leg entanglements and reset til time runs out.
  2. Galvao doesn’t care how he beats Gordon, he cares THAT he beats Gordon (if the match happens). He could win a no-points decision and will celebrate like he just won the Superbowl. The whole “only way he comes out of this positively is to convincingly win” is your own projection, but in no way reflects Galvao’s attitude.
  3. Of all the people Gordon could potentially lose to, you choose… Nick… Rod? The guy who is lightyears behind in Jiu Jitsu, whose strengths Gordon knows inside and out, and only has to sit down to negate? Weird flex
1 Like
  1. Engaging with Gordon includes collar tying, grinding for head position, etc. That’s my point. They will “touch” each other at some point in this match, and I expect Gordon to be ready to make the most of those “touches”.
  2. I just disagree here. I think he cares.
  3. Nicky Rod has already proven to be a problem for Gordon in the training room (Gordon has spoken of this). He’s mentioned that Nicky gives him trouble and is absurdly strong. Although Gordon knows Nicky’s game, Nicky also has (had?) a great view into Gordon’s.

Who do you think gives him trouble in the next decade?

1. That isn’t meaningful engagement. It is often active stalling, which is why the majority of wrestling in BJJ looks like two guys bouncing off of each other with nothing getting accomplished. Good on Gordon if he can make something of that, but when Galvao will just shove him off, or turn and sprint out of bounds, I don’t see it happening.
  2. I guess we will see if the match ever happens. He beat Pena, what, 2-0? He got up and started screaming and they literally picked him up and paraded him around the mats like a king. Based on how he has celebrated his past matches, there is no basis to believe that, and even if he wins a referee decision, i can absolutely guarantee he would hold the win over Gordon forever.
  3. He also said that when they were training partners and friend. No idea what their relationship is like meow but can you imagine the response Gordon would give nowadays if someone told him they think Nicky Rod is going to beat him? Kaynan figured out what Gordon already knows between their fights at ADCC and F2W. Wanna be stubborn like Cyborg and go head to head? Yeah you might lose playing into his strengths. So sit down and make him engage an area where you are way better. If Gordon returns to active competition against top tier competitors, the guy to beat him is going to be someone that no one expects, that is either able to score on him early and pressure him into playing catch up from a defecit, or squeak out a decision in a boring match. Like Gaudio almost did (although Gordon has gotten considerably better since then and hasn’t returned to that ruleset).

Regarding point 1) Gordon Ryan has the best collar tie in the game. He will not stall with it and Galvao will not be able to shove it off.

I didn’t mean to suggest Gordon will stall anywhere. The more engagement and connection, the better for him.

His collar tie game can be the best in BJJ though, and it still won’t matter if Galvao is only backing up and running out of bounds.

Collar ties are fucking weak if you can wrestle.

Gordon is definitely cocky and overconfident at this point. He hasn’t had his endurance pushed in a few years now. All the technique in the world won’t help you if you’re gassed.

Funny how two slaps from Gordon magically drop the price of those self-defense instructionals… :joy::joy::joy:

For something that’s “fucking weak” there sure is a lot of it in high level wrestling…

Regardless very few in Jiu Jitsu can wrestle anyway

Collar ties are a huge part of wrestling . I realize you’re probably trolling but the misinformation you spew here gets really old.

Galvao absolutely can strategize to beat Gordon, same goes for Nicky Rod. Both have the best chance of winning on points. They just need to make it that far, and then score a takedown or a reversal. Both have the athleticism to do so. Gordon seems very strong, but athleticism will win a wrestling based scramble. Galvao has the experience to be least likely to get caught in a submission in doing so. I’m sure Gordon is preparing for this too. Should be a fun e ent to watch.