Galvao will upset Gordon

Nope. Galvao will try some half ass pass and bail when it doesn’t work out just like Buchecha. That will be the entirety of the match, especially the points.

1 Like

Loooool

Saying John is superior to Roger from an intellectual standpoint in BJJ doesn’t feel quite right to me.

I’ve trained with both and done privates with both (and I really really suck compared to both, don’t misunderstand) and John was a learning brown/new black as Roger dominated the world.

I think a better analogy would be putting a college prof with Michael Jordan to practice basketball for a couple years and then having him instruct and write texts about it.

His prose might be impressive…but he isn’t Michael’s superior in any way.

3 Likes

What about as a coach? There’s a pretty strong case to be made that Danaher has proven to be a superior coach.

1 Like

Danaher has very much made a brand for himself through coaching, but has Roger really focused on it?

give Roger more time when he is seriously focused on coaching.

Didnt it take Danaher a good number of years before he turned out world class competitors?

that is a fancy term.

Marcelo doesnt use that term but much of his game was doing basically that. Putting tons of pressure on his opponent and causing them to make a mistake.

First of all, I’m jealous! Props to you for prioritizing excellent coaching.

Roger could definitely be at that level intellectually but I haven’t seen him churn out any top competitors, whereas I have seen that with Danaher.

The Michael Jordan analogy is tough… I’ve thought for a long time that Michael would most likely be a terrible coach. I think it’s far more common to see elite athletes coach terribly, primarily because as an athlete they “get it” but cannot always explain their success or replicate it.

Having said that, Roger is without question better at grappling than Danaher. His success at the peak of competition proves it. But is he a better coach? Almost certainly not, for the same reason - Danaher’s success teaching at the top level.

Whether or not Roger has tried to coach at the top level is another discussion, but more of a coulda-woulda-shoulda, IMO.

I don’t think that that is a good comparison.
Danaher works with a few elite fulltime grapplers… yeah he has overall classes to teach but all of the visibility of him is through the elite fulltime guys.

Where do you find all this grappling gossip and news? How did johnaher turn his back?

I have his pins instructional and haven’t even taken a look at it yet. You’re right about the level of detail he goes into, it’s insane.

Watch Gordon roll with JT Torres

1 Like

Very impressive.

I just watched the first volume. The reverse cross face with armpit v grip, and the follow-ons made me slap myself in the face.

Damn Gordon made that look way too easy. It looked like he was only giving 70% effort to JTs 100%

He has at least 50 lbs on him

1 Like

Watch Gordon roll with Craig Jones

That’s pretty much flow rolling for pro caliber guys.

hes 50lbs heavier than JT and has the frame to do things that would make things more efficient so it allows him to roll with less effort. Look at when he wraps his arms around JT’s body. Its almost like he has closed guard around JT with just his arms, they more than overwrap JT’s body

1 Like

I agree with a lot of this being possible. If he wins, it will be ugly and boring, by exploiting the rules, stalling, and running, keeping the match on the feet and making it a very physical wrestling match where anytime he is in any danger of being scored on he runs out of bounds, similar to how he beat Pena. Looking at Galvao’s most recent matches against guys like Jackson or Pena, there hasn’t been a ton of actual Jiu Jitsu. We’ve seen it work on Gordon before, although it has been awhile (Lo).

What I disagree with is that Gordon is arrogant to the point that it affects his competitive performances. We’ve literally never seen him lose that way, and aside from having better Jiu Jitsu than Galvao, I think he will be smarter in his approach to the match (which I don’t believe is ever gonna happen anyway) considering there is really only one approach that favors Galvao.

1 Like