Gi/NoGi Im torn

I was planning on making money off an IG of her feet.
But this may be a good angle. Lol.

1 Like

I think they’re both entirely different approaches.

Gi will teach balance and leverage a little better. It also slows the game down for beginners due to friction. This comes at the cost of playing “strip the grip” for 50% of your training time, which gets real fucking old after a couple years. I also feel the gi is harder on the cervical and thoracic spine as well (no-gi twisters not included.)

No gi is going to expose you to more wrestling technique, but training is often rendered stupid by the wearing of oil-slick rashguards.

Do both, and have fun.
Get good.
Don’t chase belts.

Thank you for the perspectives. I respect your opinion.

Do both pussy and stop caring about belts there essentially meaningless now a days

I wish the budget would allow almost $400 a month to do both

Honestly, it depends on the coaches. My son has a legend for a Gi coach so I don’t want him to stop that training at all. NoGi is cool, and he loves it, but the coach is nowhere near to the Gi coach. If you think you are such a big shot to get a black belt - a serious BJJ school will not give you that under 15 years. So yeah. If you get it faster, why don’t you just buy it - Amazon must have it for $30

1 Like

Then NO-GI is nice because you don’t have to wear carpet pajamas during training and fuss with tieing a belt and shit.

2 Likes

Do I have to specify “BJJ” black belt in the Amazon search?

You can earn a legit black belt in a lot less than 15 years.

1 Like

Especially if you already have a solid training background and have legit skills.

Do both. You can’t go wrong with that. Most schools offer both gi and no-go classes.

1 Like

15 years if you are a hobbyist and have no wrestling experience. If you train 4-5 times a week and have a wrestling background then getting a BB in 7 years is more than possible. It depends on commitment.

1 Like

I have heard from a reliable source that Gi jiu jitsu is really good teaching fundamentals and slowing things down.

1 Like

I guess depends on what do you call legit, and who is your coach.
Also I totally agree that intensity and commitment is a great factor.
But it may be gets you a few years. Maybe you can get a black belt in 10 years not fifteen. But it won’t affect the notion that in a “few”. You are not getting a legit black belt in a few. Maybe if you are a legit Judo black belt when you start Bjj. Even then I doubt less then 7 years.

1 Like

Gi sucks. Nothing worse than tapping some scrub on no gi night and having them talk shit about how if we were wearing pajamas things would be different.

However, girls seem go prefer the gi.

1 Like

The notion that you cant get a BJJ black belt in under 10 years is silly. It’s all about mat time. If you attend classes 5 days a week consistently it’s completely possible to get to black belt in 8 years or less, especially if you compete. If you do two classes per day obviously that cuts the time down even shorter.

BJ Penn got his black belt in 4 years. Gordon Ryan got his in 5. There are many others not as well-known who got their black belts in less than 6 years. The common denominator is that they trained a lot, two or more times per day, every day. That and natural talent.

3 Likes

My favorite thing is tapping wrestlers and no-gi guys in the gi, especially when they’re 30 years younger than me.

2 Likes

This the only part that rubs me the wrong way. Having no Gi experience, show up to class then tapped because the Gi is used as a “tool” to assist a submission.

It doesn’t take that long to get used to just dive in.

Always preferred no gi but probably wont hurt to try both out. I dislike the 10th planet system, my knees arent flexible enough.