Gi or no gi for self defense?

Calhoon -
The Closed Guard -
Calhoon -

Both can be good or bad for self defense. The important factor imo is to know the difference between bjj as a sport and bjj as a martial art.

Question: how much should you train total sport vs self defense? Should sport guys have a self defense game. Mainly guard Id assume? 

Yes, imo sport guys should have a self defense game.

I believe the fundamentals should be taught as a martial art. It should be a requirement that a bjj practitioner must understand the valetudo game before getting a blue belt. There should be no question that any bluebelt understands how to defend himself in a real fight. 

Once a basic game is developed and they understand how the guard is suppose to work, how to close the distance and get the takedown, etc, then they can add all the sport stuff they want... gi and nogi. The time spent training self defense is up to the practitioner at that point but imo at least once a week. As time goes on and you get better you will understand more and more about grappling and your self defense game needs to grow along with your skill. If you quit training in self defense all together after you get your blue you might get the false sense of security that things like your new half guard game that you use in nogi would work great against a trained fighter or maybe it does with the right timing and some adjustments here and there but you need to train self defense every so often to find out. Always have a self defense game that you can rely on imo no matter how much you enjoy training the sport. 

I cant believe I missed these posts

Calhoon pretty much covers it in his post. The point that people who advocate for the martial art or fighting/SD aspect of jiujitsu is not one or the other in regards to sport v SD. It's about developing a base of fightijg/defensive skills FIRST. To do that requires specific training and focus on a more pressure oriented ground game, clinch and striking

Wthout such training, itxs  ot really jiujitsu IMO, no matter what your rank accomplisments, etc. If you cant fight wi5h it, you dont do jiujitsu. I cant even believe this would be a point of discussion.....wtf is jiujitsu famous for? How&why did it even become an activity people wanted to do? LOL@ everybody selling it as also SD, but fuking beginners lear ing xguard and DLR!

The clossed guard....your question shows why jiujitsu is so fukedup. Jiujitsu is more than the guard. People seeking the guard as a primary position is stupid for fightijg and SD.

Sgt. Slaphead -
Calhoon -
The Closed Guard -
Calhoon -

Both can be good or bad for self defense. The important factor imo is to know the difference between bjj as a sport and bjj as a martial art.

Question: how much should you train total sport vs self defense? Should sport guys have a self defense game. Mainly guard Id assume? 

Yes, imo sport guys should have a self defense game.

I believe the fundamentals should be taught as a martial art. It should be a requirement that a bjj practitioner must understand the valetudo game before getting a blue belt. There should be no question that any bluebelt understands how to defend himself in a real fight. 

Once a basic game is developed and they understand how the guard is suppose to work, how to close the distance and get the takedown, etc, then they can add all the sport stuff they want... gi and nogi. The time spent training self defense is up to the practitioner at that point but imo at least once a week. As time goes on and you get better you will understand more and more about grappling and your self defense game needs to grow along with your skill. If you quit training in self defense all together after you get your blue you might get the false sense of security that things like your new half guard game that you use in nogi would work great against a trained fighter or maybe it does with the right timing and some adjustments here and there but you need to train self defense every so often to find out. Always have a self defense game that you can rely on imo no matter how much you enjoy training the sport. 

I cant believe I missed these posts

Calhoon pretty much covers it in his post. The point that people who advocate for the martial art or fighting/SD aspect of jiujitsu is not one or the other in regards to sport v SD. It's about developing a base of fightijg/defensive skills FIRST. To do that requires specific training and focus on a more pressure oriented ground game, clinch and striking

Wthout such training, itxs  ot really jiujitsu IMO, no matter what your rank accomplisments, etc. If you cant fight wi5h it, you dont do jiujitsu. I cant even believe this would be a point of discussion.....wtf is jiujitsu famous for? How&why did it even become an activity people wanted to do? LOL@ everybody selling it as also SD, but fuking beginners lear ing xguard and DLR!

The clossed guard....your question shows why jiujitsu is so fukedup. Jiujitsu is more than the guard. People seeking the guard as a primary position is stupid for fightijg and SD.

At the request of Nolan and a few others in his "office" I started a private class for them dealing with strikes, ground fighting and defense on the bottom.  I would love you to come but right now I've got certain week days in the mid morning.  I know you working.

Lemme know when....seems like usually we got mostly minor stuff until summer so m8ght be able to take time off.

Keep im mind, I dont pay much attention policies and the like....I just provide tools, up 5o end user to fit them into UoF, etc. Like i know you can choke, but o5hers have different polic,ies etc.

Sgt. Slaphead -

Lemme know when....seems like usually we got mostly minor stuff until summer so m8ght be able to take time off.

Keep im mind, I dont pay much attention policies and the like....I just provide tools, up 5o end user to fit them into UoF, etc. Like i know you can choke, but o5hers have different polic,ies etc.

Yup just discovered that on the use of force for them.  No can RNC.  WTF  that's the game.  Oh well gotta do it the hard way now.

i think it would have to escalate to LF for them to be able to use it or some such.

LOL

Sgt. Slaphead -

i think it would have to escalate to LF for them to be able to use it or some such.

LOL

Yup, for us it's intermediate,  meaning you gotta kind of be resisting.  I do think we are the last department to use it though , well last big department.

some of the best training imho they can do is just learning to move, drive and pressure suspects. so many peolle lackbasic ability to smash a fugger  into and over something

Also dealin with a knife

Robo, LOL...trai ing partner with dps told me 4 others want to come train with us becuase of the incident on monday night.  N3xt mon5h when they switch watches.

k8nda sucks, cause i teach a lot by havijg people do crap to me....add that to my own training wear&tear and it hard to get outta bed. Why cant i get tiny asian women wanna train?!?!?

You n3ed to satart a LE group so i send them to you!

You should train wearing whatever you need to wear to have access to the best grapplers possible. The quality of your training opponents is more important than what you wear. If Roger Gracie had a school near me where everyone wore potato sacks I would train there before I trained with a group of self defense larpers.

Bot -

You should train wearing whatever you need to wear to have access to the best grapplers possible. The quality of your training opponents is more important than what you wear. If Roger Gracie had a school near me where everyone wore potato sacks I would train there before I trained with a group of self defense larpers.

bjjers are LARPers....they pretend to be fighters, but most never train to fight :D

Sgt. Slaphead - 
Bot -

bjjers are LARPers....they pretend to be fighters, but most never train to fight :D

Maybe some people but most of the people I meet training BJJ do not present themselves as fighters or self defense gurus. They train mainly because it is fun.

Bot -
Sgt. Slaphead - 
Bot -

Maybe some people but most of the people I meet training BJJ do not present themselves as fighters or self defense gurus. They train mainly because it is fun.

so…your/yours/their gyms dont sell it as a martial art/SD? Then thats fine, there is n o issue if that is how it is marketed

The Ghost Of Swayze - No gi. I've never seen anyone wear anything irl as thick and strong as a gi that they didn't pull their arms out of mid-fight.

I put a dude out with a lapel choke from his coat at a party when I was breaking up a fight as a white belt.

kennyfrommd -
The Ghost Of Swayze - No gi. I've never seen anyone wear anything irl as thick and strong as a gi that they didn't pull their arms out of mid-fight.

I put a dude out with a lapel choke from his coat at a party when I was breaking up a fight as a white belt.

I believe a guy who used to train with robobear did the same thing at a club once

Sgt. Slaphead -

Robo, LOL...trai ing partner with dps told me 4 others want to come train with us becuase of the incident on monday night.  N3xt mon5h when they switch watches.

k8nda sucks, cause i teach a lot by havijg people do crap to me....add that to my own training wear&tear and it hard to get outta bed. Why cant i get tiny asian women wanna train?!?!?

Problem is I don't have too much time now.  Nolan got me twice a week with his guys.  You would love it. Clinch fighting, take downs, take down defense, striking on the ground and creating distance.  Just did session 3 today and I can see some of them are hooked.  Was good to train stand up stuff again.

things to see people to do -
kennyfrommd -

I believe a guy who used to train with robobear did the same thing at a club once

Oh man.

Robobear -
Sgt. Slaphead -

Problem is I don't have too much time now.  Nolan got me twice a week with his guys.  You would love it. Clinch fighting, take downs, take down defense, striking on the ground and creating distance.  Just did session 3 today and I can see some of them are hooked.  Was good to train stand up stuff again.

NICE

few weeks ago I did a lot of heavy clijch and takedown defense and knife......i was fubar for days in the shoukder and neck. My hip was surprisijngly not bad though. I give you guys credit.