Gif issue that's easily explained

tinytuffnutz - 
ChrisWeidmanedmydiameter - 

That's why I go to reddit.com/r/mma
The ufc has no power there Phone Post

Never went to reddit for mma, now I have to.

Yeah I've been browsing /r/MMA too since the gif ban

Recommended GIF for those leaving the UG:

I'm sure it's not a choice that's easy for the site to make and a pressure great enough was put on their necks by the company boot heel. Blame whomever put them in that spot. Good original post, caseharts. ;)

You'd think as long as the gif wasn't hosted on this site it wouldn't be any fault of they're own.

JediJitsu - I come here excitedly after fights for discussions and gifs. If I can't get that experience here I will get it elsewhere. Phone Post 3.0
I use similar logic with my wife .

Not in relation to gifs of course. Phone Post 3.0

UFC 166 is over.

Unless you avoid the net; you know who won.

Maybe you've heard Diego-Gil was amazing.

Seeing a GIF of that fight would not make you suddenly say, "Thanks guys. I was gonna order the replay to see the 15 minute battle but this 6 second GIF does it all for me."

No.

GIFs usually are enjoyed by those who watched the fights on PPV.

They don't replace the PPV experience nor do they make it so a replay will not be purchased.

Hendo-Evans did less than 150K buys on PPV.

I fail to see how a GIF say from that event would suddenly cost them even 15K buys which would be 10% and no sporting event does 10% on replays. Phone Post

DVD sales, that's the only thing this can be about

They are just hurting the sites that have helped them. And, if they do succeed in suppressing gifs, they'll be hurting themselves.

MMA will be much better once these clowns are gone.

Oh, and LOL at DVDs. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Jumbo Reverse Shrimp - They are just hurting the sites that have helped them. And, if they do succeed in suppressing gifs, they'll be hurting themselves.

MMA will be much better once these clowns are gone.

Oh, and LOL at DVDs. Ain't nobody got time for that.

It's a typical screen excuse for just taking the ball and going home, I;m not saying it ACTUALLY hurts Dvd sales but that's how their lawyers can frame this decision.

THe highlight knockouts that they collect on DVDS are the only thing that the GIFS and their product beyond the night of have in common

2JupitersTooMany -

I remember the good old days when these things were settled fair and square by a Myspace glitter gif-off.

Sigh... Things have changed fren. Phone Post 3.0

Pitbull3744 - 
tinytuffnutz - 
ChrisWeidmanedmydiameter - 

That's why I go to reddit.com/r/mma
The ufc has no power there Phone Post

Never went to reddit for mma, now I have to.

Looks like thats where i will be going as well now. 

a fuck tonne of gifs minutes after the fights are done

GIFS are a terrific asset in terms of getting people talking about your product. The fact is that all of us care enough about the UFC and MMA that we went to a website, filled out a form, and input information so we could discuss it with others. We're already interested enough in your product that we're probably watching it/paying for it. Aka the core group of fans.

I didn't come here so I could not order fights and watch GIFS. GIF's compliment the broadcast so I can talk to other members, catch little things I didn't previously see live, and create conversation about the product.

Consider the Palhares decision. Numerous GIFs provided discussion, allowed members to make informed opinions etc.

I said a lot, but it boils down to this: this is stupid.

What's the difference between the highlights they show on cable TV of PPV events. And GIFs Phone Post

Reddit is terrible. Bunch of pretentious douches.

HEY DANA!!!! THEY ARE POSTING UFC GIFS ON REDDIT!!! THEY ARE TAKING YOUR MONEY! THAT'S FUCKING ILLEGAL!!! SUE THEM NOW!!!

Is the "That's fucking illegal" gif now illegal?

Mike_in_CA - What's the difference between the highlights they show on cable TV of PPV events. And GIFs Phone Post

Old media v new media. They're trying to appease old media Phone Post

Which is precisely why this is such a poor decision.

Joe SportsFan who sits on his couch watching Sportcenter MIGHT be on the fence about getting the next PPV. He's seen some advertising about this Cain Melendez and Junior Dos Silva trilogy, but knows he'll catch the highlights on sportcenter, so he dare not shell out the sixty bucks and piss off his broad.

I'm not on the fence about buying a PPV. I'm a big enough MMA fan that I frequent message boards and MMA sites, and watch PPVs. I think the majority of you are in the same category. GIFs on the UG aren't used to circumvent watching the fights, but added material for discussing a sport that we're already sold on.

§ 107 . Limitations on exclusive rights: Fair use40
Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include—

(1) the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;

(2) the nature of the copyrighted work;

(3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and

(4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

The fact that a work is unpublished shall not itself bar a finding of fair use if such finding is made upon consideration of all the above factors.

http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#107

I think it's copyright stuff ... If they don't protect it you lose it ... Phone Post 3.0

Silly.

This sounds like it was dreampt up by some no-creativity-having lampshade who is dumber than a bucket of shrimp.

Now we know where the lawyers, who got sacked by music industry after giving them the most horrific advice to suppress everything and sue little children for hundreds of thousands of dollars, went to work, or who was stupid enough to employ them. Maybe they fight for cheap now, though.