Gilbert Burns and Masvidal Verbally Agree - OR NOT

SALT LAKE CITY – Gilbert Burns says a fight with Jorge Masvidal has been verbally agreed upon, it’s just a matter of UFC locking in an appropriate date.

Burns (20-5 MMA, 13-5 UFC) has been asking for the matchup for the past several months, and Masvidal (35-16 MMA, 12-9 UFC) has expressed interest as well, if he couldn’t get his top-priority pairing with Conor McGregor next.

With no signs of a McGregor comeback as he films the “Roadhouse” movie remake, Burns said Masvidal has committed to a showdown.

“Nothing done yet – a lot of talks about the fight with Masvidal – he verbally agreed. I did too,” Burns told MMA Junkie on Thursday. “They’re just figuring out the date. No date yet. November was too close, … so December or January. At least I know I have an opponent. Just figuring out the date right now.”

Burns said he’s flexible when it comes to a date and location to fight Masvidal. UFC 281 takes place Nov. 12 in New York, UFC 282 is Dec. 10 – likely in Las Vegas – and UFC 283 takes place Jan. 21 in Rio de Janeiro.

As a Brazilian, Burns said he’s warm to the idea of a homecoming in January, but he’s not going to take a hard stance.

“No. 1 would be MSG in November, but then he said no for that date,” Burns said. “Now December or January, I can wait like 20 more days to go to Brazil. I’m looking forward to go to the Brazil card.”

With Masvidal, No. 12 in the latest USA TODAY Sports/MMA Junkie welterweight rankings, on a three-fight losing skid, an argument could be made that No. 6-ranked Burns is not the ideal matchup to help him get back on track.

Burns, for his part, is coming off a defeat against Khamzat Chimaev. “Durinho” is hungry to get back in the win column, and although he’s not overlooking Masvidal, he said he’s confident in a definitive victory.

“Even though he’s coming from losses, it’s just from Kamaru (Usman) and Colby (Covington) – it’s not like, ‘Oh, he’s been destroyed,'” Burns said. “He lost to two of the best guys in the division, so I don’t look down on him. It’s going to be a good fight. Entertaining, both guys coming from a loss, and I want to take his head off.”

Jorge Masvidal denies that he has verbally agreed to fight Gilbert Burns, ‘Durinho’ responds: “So UFC is lying than ok”

RUH ROH

In that time away from the cage, there’s been a name calling to be his return opponent for a while now. ‘Durinho’ has called for a fight with either Masvidal or one of the Diaz brothers for his return. Burns was last seen in the octagon earlier this year, in a brawl with Khamzat Chimaev.

Earlier today, Gilbert Burns stated in an interview with MMAJunkie that his fight with Jorge Masvidal was nearly official. According to the Brazilian, they were just working on the date. He stated:
“Nothing done yet – a lot of talks about the fight with Masvidal – he verbally agreed. I did too. They’re just figuring out the date. No date yet. November was too close, … so December or January. At least I know I have an opponent. Just figuring out the date right now.”

“No. 1 would be MSG in November, but then he said no for that date,” Burns said. “Now December or January, I can wait like 20 more days to go to Brazil. I’m looking forward to go to the Brazil card.”

According to Jorge Masvidal, he’s not agreed to fight Gilbert Burns next. On Twitter, the fan-favorite stated that fans shouldn’t listen to fight news unless it comes from him first.

In response, the Brazilian stated the UFC just must be lying to him then. Burns said that if Masvidal doesn’t want the fight, he can just move on at this point.

1 Like
1 Like

That would be the end of Mas but so would be any fight against a top 20

6 Likes

Jorge stalling, wants to renegotiate his deal…again. Needs more cash for one of his last paydays, another L and to become truly irrelevant within the 170 lbs division.

5 Likes

Bad fight for Masvidal. Edwards is better

5 Likes

What a terrible time to renegotiate, though. Decisively lost his last three fights and judging by the opinions on this forum, people have turned against him. No longer a fan favorite, he doesnt have much leverage here.

2 Likes

Masvidal sucks. His 15 minutes of fame are up. If it wasn’t for one knee Askren would have dominated him. If it wasn’t for a cut Nate would have come back in the later rounds and finished him

2 Likes

Sounds pretty GREASY to me…

His 15 minutes were up a while ago, I have no idea how his name is still in headlines lol. He is nowhere near champion material.

3 Likes

Dana took what he did to Askren as a personal favor, and Dana treats those he likes very well…

2 Likes

Burns deserves a win and a payday. I like this match up

6 Likes

Well said!

2 Likes

I didn’t think of it from this angle, I agree

2 Likes