give me the cliff notes on testosterone therapy

^^^no pun intended

Im 44 and I cant say enough good things about HRT.  I was 41 and tested in the high 200's, excellent PSA, good cholesterol and boarderline high blood pressure (145/95).  I was training regularly and felt "healthy' and certainly at the very upper percentile of fitness level for my age.. But definately had decreased energy/libido/muscle mass from when i was younger.  I started taking 200mg per week (2x week self injection) and within 2-4 weeks felt distinct results.  Strength increase, libido increase (similar to that in my 20's), muscle mass gain.  Every 6 months i get blood work.  Last testing had my T level at 1050, PSA great, cholesterol even better, a decrease in my blood pressure (120/80).  I will take about 30 days of HCG every 3 to 4 months to kickstart my natural testosterone production while still staying on 200mg per week.  All the research ive done has convinced me im likely going to live much healthier and longer due to HRT (90%), or at the very least live healthier for the same amount of time (9.5%).   .05% chance i get Lyle Alzedo'd is fine with me (and by the way his steroid ABUSE did not cause his cancer) 

And for those that know little about steroids/testosterone the levels we take for HRT are about 10x less than what a typical bodybuilder you see in the gym is taking. 

TTT

Does insurance cover these treatments. If not, how much is it costing if you don't mind me asking.

Thanks,

>$100 per month

WRESTLENOW - if you aren't competing in a sport its great, go ahead its up to you to do what you want with your body. when you use it for mma, you are a cheater plain and simple.

How is it cheating if all you're doing is replacing T to get you to normal levels?

If you had a deficiency of vitamins, you'd take supplements to get those to normal.

If you had an underactive thyroid, you'd take drugs to normalize those too.

^ lol

e. kaye -  3-Belly fat converts T to estrogen, feminizing you further.

wat?

T.Jay Thompson -  Im 44 and I cant say enough good things about HRT.  I was 41 and tested in the high 200's, excellent PSA, good cholesterol and boarderline high blood pressure (145/95).  I was training regularly and felt "healthy' and certainly at the very upper percentile of fitness level for my age.. But definately had decreased energy/libido/muscle mass from when i was younger.  I started taking 200mg per week (2x week self injection) and within 2-4 weeks felt distinct results.  Strength increase, libido increase (similar to that in my 20's), muscle mass gain.  Every 6 months i get blood work.  Last testing had my T level at 1050, PSA great, cholesterol even better, a decrease in my blood pressure (120/80).  I will take about 30 days of HCG every 3 to 4 months to kickstart my natural testosterone production while still staying on 200mg per week.  All the research ive done has convinced me im likely going to live much healthier and longer due to HRT (90%), or at the very least live healthier for the same amount of time (9.5%).   .05% chance i get Lyle Alzedo'd is fine with me (and by the way his steroid ABUSE did not cause his cancer) 
I've also had experience with HRT and agree with this.

BUT, do a lot of reading and get PSA tested and blood work regularly and don't over dose. And bear in mind that the LEVEL of testosterone is not the whole story. There are pretty virile guys with a fairly low T level, but it may be their receptors are better than average and their T is more 'potent' - this is just a hunch and I have no studies to back it up.

My point is if you are NOT having symptoms  then it's probably best not to get on HRT. The biggest reason is BPH - or benign prostate hypertrophy that while not a malignancy can still make your life hell and end up needing surgery because the swollen gland prevents urination.

I also strongly agree that having adequate T at older ages (over 45-50) is probably preventative for a host of other problems and may even give you a healthy life and the risk of tumor aggravation and BPH are pretty low.

AlbertEinstein - 
e. kaye -  3-Belly fat converts T to estrogen, feminizing you further.

wat?

What causes excessive male estrogen?

Increased body fat

There's an enzyme found in your body fat called aromatase which converts <!-- google_ad_section_start(weight=ignore) -->testosterone<!-- google_ad_section_end --> to estrogen.

If you have high levels of body fat, aromatase will be very active in your system, converting your Test into unwanted estrogen.

The Aging Process

As you age your body produces much lower levels of <!-- google_ad_section_start(weight=ignore) -->testosterone<!-- google_ad_section_end --> and there is a very strong relationship between low T, obesity, and elevated Est.

There's even a name for this relationship, it's called hypogonadal-obesity cycle.

In this cycle, low T levels lead to an increase in abdominal fat, which leads to increased aromatase activity, which leads to further conversion of testosterone to estrogen.

This further reduces T levles and increases the tendency toward abdominal fat and symptoms of manopause.

WidespreadPanic - 
T.Jay Thompson -  Im 44 and I cant say enough good things about HRT.  I was 41 and tested in the high 200's, excellent PSA, good cholesterol and boarderline high blood pressure (145/95).  I was training regularly and felt "healthy' and certainly at the very upper percentile of fitness level for my age.. But definately had decreased energy/libido/muscle mass from when i was younger.  I started taking 200mg per week (2x week self injection) and within 2-4 weeks felt distinct results.  Strength increase, libido increase (similar to that in my 20's), muscle mass gain.  Every 6 months i get blood work.  Last testing had my T level at 1050, PSA great, cholesterol even better, a decrease in my blood pressure (120/80).  I will take about 30 days of HCG every 3 to 4 months to kickstart my natural testosterone production while still staying on 200mg per week.  All the research ive done has convinced me im likely going to live much healthier and longer due to HRT (90%), or at the very least live healthier for the same amount of time (9.5%).   .05% chance i get Lyle Alzedo'd is fine with me (and by the way his steroid ABUSE did not cause his cancer) 
I've also had experience with HRT and agree with this.

BUT, do a lot of reading and get PSA tested and blood work regularly and don't over dose. And bear in mind that the LEVEL of testosterone is not the whole story. There are pretty virile guys with a fairly low T level, but it may be their receptors are better than average and their T is more 'potent' - this is just a hunch and I have no studies to back it up.

My point is if you are NOT having symptoms  then it's probably best not to get on HRT. The biggest reason is BPH - or benign prostate hypertrophy that while not a malignancy can still make your life hell and end up needing surgery because the swollen gland prevents urination.

I also strongly agree that having adequate T at older ages (over 45-50) is probably preventative for a host of other problems and may even give you a healthy life and the risk of tumor aggravation and BPH are pretty low.

Agreed on all points.  I am strongly against any healthy young man putting any anabolic agents in their body.  I think 40 is a pretty safe cut off point but i wouldnt argue if someone wanted to put it at 45-50.  

I also think HRT in MMA = cheating anyway you look at it.  The older fighters experience is suppose to make up for his youthfull athleticism.  But in this day and age it is too easy to pass the tests commissions are administering.  They go by the 'normal' levels of T up to 1100 for men. I cant imagine any man over 30 having T level of 800+ never mind 40+ year old passing these tests with levels of T over 1000.  So for now if you are 30+ and competing clean you are at a clear disadvantage.  IMHO