Glory' Last Man Standing did only 6k in PPV

Joe Schilling vs. Simon Marcus was one of the best fights ever. to be clear i only watched it once during the ppv but that was enough ha.

This must be really discouraging... Hopefully Glory hangs in there. Phone Post 3.0

I ordered the ppv also. It was $35 for me and that Schilling vs Marcus fight was worth the money alone. I noticed spike tv was showing the free card at the same time the ppv was going on. I was thinking the average fan isn't ordering the ppv if spike was airing the free event. It's baffling why glory would let that happen.

I bought it. Money well spent. Will definitely buy the next one too. Phone Post 3.0

The Sauce - I was one of the 6,000 people!

I'm happy to give Glory my money! Phone Post 3.0
Same here. Phone Post 3.0

Bullwinkle - I ordered the ppv also. It was $35 for me and that Schilling vs Marcus fight was worth the money alone. I noticed spike tv was showing the free card at the same time the ppv was going on. I was thinking the average fan isn't ordering the ppv if spike was airing the free event. It's baffling why glory would let that happen.
Yea thats one thing that pissed me off. Due to time delay or whatever, I watched the ppv before the prelims. I blame twc tho. Still. Money well spent imo, and although I hope they stay away frok the paperview model for a while, if they put on cards of that qualityi wont be able to resist buying them.

LONG LIVE GLORY Phone Post 3.0

Ouch.

I love Glory and hope this doesn't hurt them too much financially. Phone Post 3.0

Ghost of Retard -

They need to figure out how to sell the shit,  I don't want Glory to go away

Exactly.

VU. Phone Post 3.0

F@ck PPV.

tenchu - F@ck PPV.
I also kind of agree with this. I wish these fight promotions could find a way to make enough money to be satisfied just by doing shows on TV. Or, I'd also be cool with something like the WWE Network. Phone Post 3.0

Went to the event at the renovated Forum. It was really put together well. A shit ton of good fights and not much filler...just action packed. Great event. I hope they don't fuck it up somehow. It was well attended...I wonder why PPV was so low?

john joe - 
RKing85 - why would they put the biggest name on free tv and then expect people to pay for a PPV card where 95% of the public don't know a single name on the card.

Not surprized at all.

Plus it's kickboxing. How many times does it have to be shown that people in the US don't care all that much about kickboxing?

how many times are you planning to repeat that last sentence and ignore rebuttals? You say it in EVERY kickboxing thread and every time you do, i shoot it down

AGAIN: you're like someone saying "UFC will never catch on" for the first 40-odd events, then going "Oh look its caught on now"

please explain in detail how kickboxing like this has been tried in the US before. Show me the US television network carrier, consistent English-language broadcast packages, American talent, English-language media output, Facebook pages, etc etc

you cant - you're either referring to (1) 'shiny pants' kickboxing which (i) was really sport karate and (ii) nobody under 40 really remembers or (2) K-1, which did a few halfhearted US shows, more aimed at showing japanese fans back home that they were 'international', plus their video output, news, website etc was super low and almost entirely in japanese.

to conclude, please, please stop repeating your last line over and over unless you can show some evidence that this kind of kickboxing and package has ever been tried in the US before.... and you cant, so, no need to repeat it

ps - Scott Coker started Strikeforce as a kickboxing promotion and was killing it before the MMA boom took off and he switched disciplines. So it has been done with success on US soil, fyi

VU! Awesome reply!

I saw that same post myself, and had to roll my eyes.

It's just going to take a little time. It'll gain increasing exposure when people start seeing highlight videos of the likes of Artem Levin, Holzken, Christie, Petrosyan, Spong, Saki, etc, etc (not to mention HLs of some of the greatest combative sports wars EVER - two of which occurred just in the last event).

The old argument that US fans will have little interest without top US fighters is also losing footing, as you start to see more and more fighters like Schilling and Barrett.

I think it's awesome that you can view all of the content for free on Spike TV's website (I do wish they would include events 1-10 however, just to get people even more immersed in the history and background). This will definitely help.

Despite having a murderers' row of standouts and killers ranked 1-5, Glory does need to start building and recruiting more talent. The difference between the 3rd and 10th ranked fighter in each division (as well as the interest they generate) is pretty large currently.

But I also think we will start to see more and more fighters defect from MMA and into Glory, especially when they are former fan favorites like Pat Barry, Cro Cop, and Miguel Torres, naturally sparking interest in MMA fans who favor the striking element.

But I don't think there's anything to worry about. How many tuned in for Bellator 17? And in my eyes that organization is far less interesting.

IMO they need to do two things 1) aggressively campaign to recruit more top talent and 2) (ironically, given the current state of the UFC) hold more events more consistently and frequently (I had almost forgot about the LMS event's date, and completely forgot about Glory 15)

chupecabre - Went to the event at the renovated Forum. It was really put together well. A shit ton of good fights and not much filler...just action packed. Great event. I hope they don't fuck it up somehow. It was well attended...I wonder why PPV was so low?

Speaking as a big Glory fan and thus out of a place of love and respect for Glory, it's primarily because as far as the public consciousness goes Glory doesn't exist.

The UFC has been around for 20+ years and has been putting regularly-scheduled shows on high-visibility channels for nearly a decade and has a number of established, visible stars. Bellator had been around on TV for half a decade and on Spike for, what, 36 reliably weekly-scheduled shows, and bolstered their name with visible stars before they tried PPV.

Glory didn't really exist on television until June of last year, at which point they put on irregularly-scheduled shows once a month, inexplicably took the first quarter of 2014 off, then assumed Cro-Cop (on live TV instead of the PPV, for some insane reason) and a tournament with a bunch of people no one outside of the hardcore fanbase knows would be enough to sell a PPV.

Glory's great and I hope they stick around for a long time, but they have no brand identity, they have no public visibility, they're promoting kickboxing which has ALWAYS been an uphill battle in America and the only fighter they have that anyone outside of hardcore kickboxing fans really knows is a soon-to-be-40 Cro-Cop who's already retired/unretired three times.

They were not even remotely ready for PPV. They won't be unless they can promote a more regular show and farm a stable audience they can use to build names.

KidPittsburgh - How much did it cost to order the PPV?

$45 I think, which is simply too much for a promotion that's decided to jump into PPV after less than a year and a handful of live events on television in the U.S.

Bellator had been on tv for several years, had been on Spike for like 16 months and nearly 40 shows, had multiple big "names" even without Eddie Alvarez. Hell they had an entire season of 12 weekly shows leading up to it (that is ended on a relatively nice, round number like 120 was a lucky coincidence).

Glory's only big name was Cro Cop and he headlined the prelims for some reason.

I'm a hardcore MMA fans who likes kickboxing, but isn't a fanatic at all. On the main card I only knew Melvin Manhoef and Daniel Ghita. With all respect, they wouldn't be worth $45 to me even if I had absolutely no plans. Furthermore I didn't even know about the PPV until like a day before the event.

What's more, the vast majority of American viewers right now are total casual newbies, and no new fan would have been able to seriously differentiate the value of the main card from the card that came before it, other than it was longer.

The first PPV should have come after they had like a dozen events on television, should have been accompanied by some PrimeTime or Embedded style documentaries to help us know who these dudes are, and a guy like Cro Cop should have been a carrot to put on the main card.

Finally it should have cost like, say, $30 or so ($25 SD). There's really never been a worse time for anyone to jump into the PPV market, so you definitely have to be careful about it.

They just rushed in to everything too fast and too soon and paid for it.

Just a false start though, whatever. Better that you have a great product with a bad marketing plan than the other way around, in my opinion. Bad marketing is much easier to fix.

I don't think $45 is too much. I got far more bang for my buck than when I spend $55 on a UFC PPV.

I have been to Glory live (Denver) as well. They have a great thing going. They need to promote a bit better, but other than that, I hope they don't change a thing. I'm a huge fan and I can see pure kickboxing holding its own with mma on a global stage. Phone Post 3.0

Was a great event as well.

Younger people expect to their entertainment for free.

MMALOGIC -

Kickboxing can work and it doesnt even need to take off in the United States... It's a global marketplace now.

You get some fans from here, some fans from there and you got a pretty significant business that could sustain a global kickboxing league staging events on a regular basis with the highest level of talent.

America is the biggest consumer.

Yes, it's a global marketplace.

Show me one great company that has zero foothold at all in America that is happy not to have such.

If you make it big in America you can make it anywhere.

Make it big in the UK?

You still are gonna want our filthy lucre over here. Phone Post 3.0

Holy fuck. 6k???

Damn, i'm glad I supported. Phone Post 3.0

Damn. That makes me kinda sad. I was one of those 6000, though. One of the best combat sport cards I have seen in a very long time. Maybe only Metamoris 3 came close.