Glucosamine for joints?

My shoulder joints have been killing me, and I was wondering if
glucosamine actually helps? I was listening to a medical radio show, and
the host was saying there is no conclusive evidence that it actually helps.

But if they do, can you recc any brand in particular? Thanks

I have taken it, but I found (as much research has suggested) that it takes a while to show effect (2 months or so) and only lasts aslong as you take it.

I would also suggest wobenzyme and fish oil. They have done me more good than glucosomine. But, it still will fade if you stop taking it.

I started taking it due to a bad knee and it felt like it helped after a while. Took it religously and then decided to get off of it and I've been feeling BETTER after that.

I always felt it kind of made me drink more liquid and made me feel a bit more heavy. But that's all purely subjective.

I started taking glucosomine & chondroiton for a persistent shoulder inflammation and it seemed to finally get my body over some magical point of repair to finally "fix" it. 

Didn't really take it for a number of years until I started into MMA and I really feel like I "feel it," especially when I stop taking it for short durations like when I run out or on vacation and didn't keep up the regimen.  I've also been supplementing with fish oil as I've heard it has mild anti-inflammatory aspects (in addition to the omega-3's).

I've never been much of a supplementer, but I feel this is the cornerstone of making me feel half-way normal.  I'm 39 and work out in various MMA disciplines 8-9 hours a week, perform ME lifts 3-4x per week, and perform another 2-3 hours per week doing other conditioning (Crossfit or calisthenic-type stuff).  I've yet to be held out for general joint stiffness in the three years I've been training.  I don't say that to brag, but I'm only saying that to give you some perspective. 

My pops has been holding off on his knees for replacement and started taking it and has noticed some improvement, maybe enough to wait until winter to have his work done (he has a cabin on a lake he lives and breathes for).

I dunno.  I'd like to think I'm not so easily swayed by a placebo effect, but I am cognizant of the latest research.  I guess the best thing is that if it seems to work for you, use it.  And if it doesn't, it's pretty cheap so you're not out a significant amount of money.

Good luck.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/patient-glucosamine.html

What brand do you recommend?

I use the GLC 2000. Seems to be working for me. Apparently since these are considered " herbal " , there are no guidelines for monitoring the quality of them. It could say 1500 mg....but could be 300.....for example. The GLC is pharmaceutical grade, so its pretty close to what they advertise.

I've heard a lot Vetranarian having success with it for Big Dogs. Which is a case where the plecebo effect is completely removed.

Had a client who's company sold the stuff, it's Ground up cow tracheas.

sfbjj - I've heard a lot Vetranarian having success with it for Big Dogs. Which is a case where the plecebo effect is completely removed.

Had a client who's company sold the stuff, it's Ground up cow tracheas.

Heh.  Used to eat "raw orchic pills" (ground up bull testicles) in the early 80's when there was a big glandular kick in supplementation.

I hate to think about the gross amount of money I've wasted on quack supplementals.