Gracie Breakdown: The death of Eric Garner

TryhardNobody - I'm waiting for the Gracie breakdown of the Malaysian Airlines plane that got shot down. Is that out yet?

VTFU

6ULDV8 - 

Now I realize that the police should kill people, and I had it all wrong that we should be on the same side.

If you've got a uniform, you should kill people, until they're dead.

I mean come on, you didn't really kill them, they just happened to die because of other reasons when you think about it.

RIP

VTFU

Props brother.

StephenLangdown -
Madrugadao - Jesus Christ. Didn't watch but maybe stick to breaking down fights. Not sure a BJJ blackbelt qualifies you to comment on things like this. Somewhat whorish.
I agree with this :/ Phone Post 3.0
. Phone Post 3.0

Hello friends.

Rener Gracie here with my brother Ryron.

Are you a police chief? Did you hear what happened in New york where a big black man was taken down by police and later died?

Daaaaang.

Things like this happen because the officers don't have the knowlege about jiu jitsu passed down by our grandfather grandmaster Helio Gracie.

But now, through our GRACIE SURVIVAL TACTICS™ course SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED for law enforcement agencies.

For the low price of....

sadly the cops dog piled the poor guy who couldn't breath and the 2nd video from inside the store while inconclusive it sure as hell didn't look like he was breathing. More like they all knew he was dead or were worried about it and were acting like he was breathing until they could get him the hell out of there to cover their asses and avoid a riot.

Something very shady about how he was treated or actually not treated once he "passed out". I actually think he died on the street and not on the way to the hospital but the blue wall (a very very real thing here in NYC that many in other parts of the country don't understand) kept it under wraps.

Staten Island, where this occurred has a long history of police corruption (along with every other kind of corruption you can think of)

Fucking sad anyway you look at it.

I will sign up my entire police force if the price is lower than one twenty nine, ninety five!

No no no no no.

If there's one thing the mods on this and other threads have taught me, it's that the police should kill people.

They're big and fat and probably would have died anyway, even if they weren't being choked out by a cop.

That was just a happy coincidence!

JoeHurley - 
hooha - 
ramaham - 
hooha - He wasn't a threat, he wasn't unruly.

This was manslaughter because of racist, irresponsible cops working in a racist, irresponsible system.

Read up on the story folks and if you have a heart, you'll feel for this man and his family that just lost a husband and dad for NOTHING.
They'd have done the same to a big white or Latino too...

Really don't see the race card here, just over abuse of power Phone Post 3.0

You don't see the race issue here? Do they have "stop and frisk" in white communities? Do you have a constant police presence in most white communities? Do white people regularly get stopped by police, questioned, pulled over in their cars?

You don't see the race issue because you're obviously not a visible minority and that's not your daily reality. Whether it's a story like this, the Trayvon Martin case or Katrina, there's ample evidence of racist behaviour/policies and the abuse of power by police towards black/hispanic communities.

But at least you're right that they would have done it to a Latino person too!

The police killed Trayvon Martin?

No, but they let George Zimmerman go home that same night despite having just killed a 14 year-old black kid.

Can you imagine that working the other way around?

Madrugadao -
hooha - 
JoeHurley - 
hooha - 
ramaham - 

This was manslaughter because of racist, irresponsible cops working in a racist, irresponsible system.

Read up on the story folks and if you have a heart, you'll feel for this man and his family that just lost a husband and dad for NOTHING.

You don't see the race issue here? Do they have "stop and frisk" in white communities? Do you have a constant police presence in most white communities? Do white people regularly get stopped by police, questioned, pulled over in their cars?

You don't see the race issue because you're obviously not a visible minority and that's not your daily reality. Whether it's a story like this, the Trayvon Martin case or Katrina, there's ample evidence of racist behaviour/policies and the abuse of power by police towards black/hispanic communities.

No, but they let George Zimmerman go home that same night despite having just killed a 14 year-old black kid.

He was 14?

Shit, through all this I never knew that. The way people were talking about how much of a threat he was, I assumed he was older than that.
I believe he was 17, but when the story broke news stations released photos of him at 13/14 years of age:: Phone Post 3.0

Gomrad - 
Madrugadao -
hooha - 
JoeHurley - 
hooha - 
ramaham - 

He was 14?

Shit, through all this I never knew that. The way people were talking about how much of a threat he was, I assumed he was older than that.
I believe he was 17, but when the story broke news stations released photos of him at 13/14 years of age:: Phone Post 3.0

Regardless of age, the dude was holding skittles. Skittles! Have you ever had those thrown at you. They hurt. He was obviously out looking for trouble.

Yes there are power hungry cops, and there are bad people in every walk of life.  But stop and frisk is all but gone in New York since we had a change of administration. You cooperate, and all the rights and wrongs, claims and counterclaims will be sorted out by a judge and jury (I served on juries enough times). Giving the police a hard time only digs your hole deeper.

Sorry all on mistaking Travon Martin's age, yes he was 17, big difference, but still a "kid" imo. Apologies all the same.

And for those talking about how this man gave the police a "hard time", you can watch that video and see that he was polite the whole time, imploring the police officers not to touch/hurt him and he was clearly non-violent and non-threatening.

If it's true that he was constantly being harassed by police (which is very plausible)then maybe cooperating all the time (which many of you are suggesting)and being handcuffed, stuffed in a police car and spending time in a station or jail is something you're gonna get tired of. You might even find it traumatic.

So, politely pleading with a police officers to not arrest you over and over for not doing anything (he wasn't selling loose cigarettes at that time - major crime that that is) maybe wasn't such a crazy reaction.

So, I still don't get how the cops are not responsible for this man's death. Whether or not he was over 300 lbs, they sped the process by putting him in a chokehold, and slamming his face into the ground once they had him down. Nothing to do with it at all. I don't agree with flipping out on cops, but its not like they didn't just stand there for a minute. He didn't attack any of them... They had no proof he was even selling cigarettes to a minor.

A lot of cops do what they want and don't regard someone they consider a criminal's welfare. Especially when a cop from that day, is seen on video again beating up on someone already down on the ground..

So the police inquiry about him selling cigarets should be made public just to show there was no racial side to this. Shop owner calls police station, they create some paperwork that gets assigned to undercover (Plain clothes) officers for them to do a stop on the guy. Those calls have to be protected somewhere and used in court cases (I assume)

The video shows two officers standing there talking to guy and it seems fairly routine. He stands up with his hands gesturing "Why you arresting me ... etc etc" he starts walking backwards. This is my issue with the stop. When a police officer gives a command, you have to do what they say right? But it's up to the officers dissgression to decide how aggressive they need to be to arrest the subject. I read on PoliceOne.com or Officer.com (some police training website) about communicating with arrestees and how to control a situation safely. The more officer's that show up the more likely physical control will be needed to arrest someone compared to slower more meaningful dialogue.

It seems like any bar fight type situation. Two guys are arguing or whatever, then two more show up and so on. Now its a highly charged group of nervous people, waiting for something to happen. Fights are less likely to break out if it is one guy explaining to another guy whats going on. It's just not helpful (In this situation ) for five other officers to show up.

What I'm saying is, there shouldn't be a time limit on what it takes to arrest someone. Those officers should have spent another 15 minutes explaining that they have an obligation to arrest him especially since he wasn't be confrontational.

Here's the other thing.

He didn't raise his hands up in a confronting manner at all. He did disobey their order but he should be able to especially if he felt he didn't do anything. Something to think about, if he's selling cigarrettes for extra money, chances are he doesn't have the money to happily go to jail, find a lawyer and commit to spending the next four or five months at random court hearings pleading his case. He should have every right to protest in some way.

Also, when someone comes up behind you and attempts to take you down by pushing you forward your hands come out to stop your head from hitting the ground. Infants do this, kids do this, everyone does this. He didn't give his hands up because he was protecting his head/chest. And once someone starts putting pressure on the back of his head so his face is pressed to the ground, your natural reaction is brace your hands and push your body up.

Now someone is on your back putting more pressure on you. Not for nothing, but any trained jiujitsu guy on this forum could see that it was the wrong way to get this guy to give up safely for everyone. Now I know if he was a combative individual and was squaring off to fight each officer then they can do what they feel is necessary but they didn't spend enough time trying to talk him into it. There shouldn't be a time limit on arresting someone. There is just not enough time to process what is happening in 2 minutes for someone to relax enough and go with it. He should have been issued a ticket with some sort of followup required. Something he could process (emotionally, intellectually) and then have his day in court.

Does anyone REALLY believe there were that many officers on the scene over a fat black dude selling single cigarettes for fitty cents? Come on man. It's obvious some type of altercation a fight had taken place. Whether or not the choke killed him the fact remains (and this is a FACT, mind you) that had this guy not been taken down and dog-piled he'd still be alive today. He has 6 kids.

This is straight up,100% bullshit and the cops should pay for it.

Nitecrawler - "...after being put in a choke that's against department regulations."

You forgot to add "That had nothing to do with his death":

http://nypost.com/2014/07/19/man-in-chokehold-death-had-no-throat-damage-autopsy/ Phone Post 3.0

Really?

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Eric-Garner-Chokehold-Police-Custody-Cause-of-Death-Staten-Island-Medical-Examiner-269396151.html

I guess we should send the ME's office a link to the Gracie breakdown and the posts of all armchair forensic pathologists on the UG to set the record straight about this being the case of a giant fatass who would have died whether he ran into the cops or not that day.

Well I hope the Gracie's feel like assholes now. Probably not.